Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by seagulls4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Concacaf will be getting more than one more:

Africa - 9 (up from 5)
    Asia - 8 (up from 4 or 5)
    Europe - 16 (up from 13)
    North, Central America and Caribbean - 6 (up from 3 or 4)
    Oceania - 1 (from 0 or 1)
    South America - 6 (up from 4 or 5)

+2 more from some sort of play-off system.

With Asia getting 3/4 more places, and people not being happy about the quality of Saudi Arabia, then I don't think they'll be too pleased about the quality of other Asian teams which weren't able to qualify! Clearly not all the additional teams which enter will be worse than the current worse team, but some of them will be. Certainly the overall average quality of the teams in the tournament will decrease.

But my biggest issue with the 48-team World Cup is not the expansion of teams, but the format which it will take.
    Think the proposed format is 16 groups of 3 and top two go through to 32 team knockout round.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stato View Post
      No they didn't. They looked decidedly average and would have lost to any half decent side.

The Saudis never seemed to want to move the ball forward and defended appallingly. The fourth goal was well taken, but the other four were down to defensive errors: defender slipped for the first, two defenders went to ground for the second, centre half lost his man for the third and the keeper left himself too much to do and dived like a wet haddock for the fifth. While all this was going on, we had to listen to Glenn Hoddle going on about what amazing goals they were. There's nothing like the World Cup to remind you how appalling ITV is.
      Hoddle's normally a miserable fecker, finding fault. It's as if he decided to reinvent himself as Mr.Positive for this WC, over-praising Russia against Conference level opposition. Perhaps he'll revert to type when England don't live up to his exacting standards.

Agree, ITV and Tyldesley are shite.
      Yaztromo's Tower; the borders of Darkwood Forest

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by portlock seagull View Post
      I'm obviously alone in believing it's entirely possible Russia bought this game? Let's face it, two v.wealthy countries run by dictators with geopolitical interests they might wish to trade...in a bent tournament...run by a corrupt organisation...involving cultures where bribing is the norm.

Hmmm...A 5-0 opener, the highest in nearly a century, in favour of the hosts who couldn't buy a goal before the tournament. Well, maybe they just did today?
      Affirmative.

Ball grabbingly obvious. The Saudi keeper took his hands away from at least one goal, dived over another. This game had the look and feel of a scripted ‘performance’ or errrmmm ‘fix.’

I smell something fishy, and i’m not just talking about the contents of the Baltic sea.

This is going to be a hugely suspect WC, mark my words.

That said; it was enjoyable all the same. A smattering of WWE ‘drama’ aside... well as long as the script is engaging, i’ll watch and see who the writers have decided should win. Did i say writers? Whoops! i meant bribers.
      Last edited by Kosh; 14-06-2018 at 22:04.
      Two dice, a pencil and an eraser are all you need to make your journey...

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
      Affirmative.

Ball grabbingly obvious. The Saudi keeper took his hands away from at least one goal, dived over another. This game had the look and feel of a scripted ‘performance’ or errrmmm ‘fix.’

I smell something fishy, and i’m not just talking about the contents of the Baltic sea.

This is going to be a hugely suspect WC, mark my words.

That said; it was enjoyable all the same. A smattering of WWE ‘drama’ aside, well as long as the script is engaging, i’ll watch and see who the writers have decided should win. Did i say writers? Whoops! i meant bribers.
      Teams facing Russia will have all the 'bad luck'.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by portlock seagull View Post
      I'm obviously alone in believing it's entirely possible Russia bought this game? Let's face it, two v.wealthy countries run by dictators with geopolitical interests they might wish to trade...in a bent tournament...run by a corrupt organisation...involving cultures where bribing is the norm.

Hmmm...A 5-0 opener, the highest in nearly a century, in favour of the hosts who couldn't buy a goal before the tournament. Well, maybe they just did today?
      I had exactly the same thought. That first goal would be one of the easiest to throw too. Second ball. Don't mark. Fall over. Dive but don't fully extend.

Watch it back. It looks REALLY weird.

3 Not allowed!
      I donít see the correlation (within reason) between quality and enjoyment level.

You can watch two much higher class teams play out a HORRIFICALLY DULL match (Chelsea under Jose anyone?!). At the same time League One/Two can throw up some cracking end to end games.

That was both low standard and really entertaining.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
      A little piece of Sussex below Atlanta, GA, USA

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stato View Post
      No they didn't. They looked decidedly average and would have lost to any half decent side.

The Saudis never seemed to want to move the ball forward and defended appallingly. The fourth goal was well taken, but the other four were down to defensive errors: defender slipped for the first, two defenders went to ground for the second, centre half lost his man for the third and the keeper left himself too much to do and dived like a wet haddock for the fifth. While all this was going on, we had to listen to Glenn Hoddle going on about what amazing goals they were. There's nothing like the World Cup to remind you how appalling ITV is.
      Marvelous use of a fish reference outside of the "ahem" other thread.
      "Is that an Afghan melon?"
      Im The Scatman

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      Be interesting to see Uruguay v Saudi , bet Suarez will fill his boots

Bet he canít wait to sink his teeth in.

1 Not allowed!
      It took Hoddle 38 seconds to say it's good too see the host nation do well in a tournament.Russia surely through now ,the longer they stay in the more decisions will go their way.
      In The ex Legion now known as Lower Bourne Social Club again

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by seagulls4ever View Post
      First, I don't think it was as bad as you're making it sound. Couple of quality goals at the end there.

Second, yes it instantly becomes more enjoyable because it's the World Cup. You can see how much it means to each team, the effort and intensity they put in, when they might not have the quality. There's only three games in the group stage - and so each one becomes immensely important. Just like cup finals, title deciders, etc are instantly more enjoyable games of football because of what they mean - even if the games themselves are dull 1-0 results. I've seen far worse quality in the lower divisions of English football and still enjoyed it.

It's interesting to see the styles of different teams from around the world. You could see Saudi Arabia were trying to play passing, technical football - but they didn't have the quality to get past Russia, who will have surprised everyone with that performance, in their own country. The atmosphere was great.

It was the two lowest ranked teams in the tournament, but I was entertained. You could improve the quality of the World Cup by cutting the teams and restricting it to just the European and South American teams, but I think that would be a bit shit really.

Maybe you're just not that into football?
      I found the commitment to passing football entertaining and quite amusing. Their commitment to it was dumbfounded, despite it leading the conceding of 3 goals at one point they continued to try and play out of every situation. One of the most entertaining, amusing and frustrating teams Iíve ever watched.