Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The NSC Great Tip Debate

What’s your strategy?

• Always tip. I value restaurant staff (and/or don’t want to look like a tight arse)

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • I tip according to the food and service.

Votes: 78 72.2%
  • Never (and don’t mind my food being gobbed in)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In fact the only time I can remember not tipping was at Red Snapper on the Dials when they charged me and my good lady for drinking tapwater from a reusable glass bottle on the table. When I questioned them they insisted they weren't reusable. It was bizarre and got heated. I paid but didn't tip and then as we were leaving they begged me to stay as someone had placed an order for pick up and recently people had been turning up, grabbing the food and refusing to pay.
I told them I hope they nick everything and put your windows in, ya robbing ********. My ladyfriend insisted I used a racial slur, but I don't think I did. It wouldn't bother her anyway. She's from Bolton.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Do this and you get no tip.

lunch.jpg

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
They are usually obliged to and it gives people an opportunity to voice any concerns. Perfectly acceptable.

No it isn't, the clues in the Name "wait"ing not pestering. If theres a problem Im big enough to voice it, In fact I may let them know in future.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No it isn't, the clues in the Name "wait"ing not pestering. If theres a problem Im big enough to voice it, In fact I may let them know in future.

I bet you're an absolute delight to host :lolol:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I bet you're an absolute delight to host :lolol:

Its a manners thing, if a server acosts you then you have to swallow the food your eating to speak which counts as an interupton in my book. Maybe you talk with your mouth full, wash a mouthful of food down with wine rather than swallow and wipe your mouth on th back of your sleave then ettiquette would be lost on you.

And seeing your comments on Japan I think it proves my point.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Its a manners thing, if a server acosts you then you have to swallow the food your eating to speak which counts as an interupton in my book. Maybe you talk with your mouth full, wash a mouthful of food down with wine rather than swallow and wipe your mouth on th back of your sleave then ettiquette would be lost on you.

And seeing your comments on Japan I think it proves my point.

Just give them a thumbs up. Problem solved. It's second out of your evening. Waiters are told to do check-backs by their bosses. if a waiter fails to do a check - back and the diners subsequently complain about their food the cost of freebies and deductions comes out of the waiters tips and wages. It then takes a bit of a knobber to then make them feel bad for it and subsequently withhold a tip. Yes, if they do it every five mins it would be annoying, but you and I both know they don't.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Just give them a thumbs up. Problem solved. It's second out of your evening. Waiters are told to do check-backs by their bosses. if a waiter fails to do a check - back and the diners subsequently complain about their food the cost of freebies and deductions comes out of the waiters tips and wages. It then takes a bit of a knobber to then make them feel bad for it and subsequently withhold a tip. Yes, if they do it every five mins it would be annoying, but you and I both know they don't.

If theres more than one waiter this can happen a few times, and has.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Here is one thing I can't get my head around with waiting staff.
When a meal is brought to a table, let's say the meal is burger and chips, the waiter will ask ,would you like any sauces with that ?
The customer replies, yes please some ketchup and mayo please......the waiter then disappears for a while and the meal starts getting cold.

Tip- put the sauces on the table or ask the customer before the meal comes to the table. :thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If theres more than one waiter this can happen a few times, and has.

I'd go the other way and be really gushing about the food, take at least 3 minutes on each element of your dish and make sure you end it in an uncomfortably lingering hug. They'll never bother you again.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im less inclinded to tip or tip less since minimum wage. i take my lead on this from the missus who used to work cafe/coffee shops, says the point of tips is to make up the low wages by good service. and maybe i just dont go fancy places that i feel service warrants much more. its a very odd practice.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Silly question here.
I employ 3 staff who work fairly hard, probably as much as a waiter/ess. They enjoy their job but are on minimum wage. There is a minimum wage and all restaurant staff must be on it, the days of £5 an hour plus tips are gone. So why do we feel the need to tip restaurant staff but not shop staff?
As for me, I always tend to round the bill up to a zero (£50, £60 etc). If I feel the evening has been special and the service/meal were of high service then I'll add some more.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
im less inclinded to tip or tip less since minimum wage. i take my lead on this from the missus who used to work cafe/coffee shops, says the point of tips is to make up the low wages by good service. and maybe i just dont go fancy places that i feel service warrants much more. its a very odd practice.

But does the minimum wage, post tax/ni, give waiting and kitchen staff a decent living wage? Especially considering the high cost of living in many parts of the UK.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A man needs to be polite, not just to me but to everyone. I watch that. How does he treat the waiter? How does he treat the coat-check girl? How does he treat the driver?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
beorhthelm;8488247[B said:
]im less inclinded to tip or tip less since minimum wage[/B]. i take my lead on this from the missus who used to work cafe/coffee shops, says the point of tips is to make up the low wages by good service. and maybe i just dont go fancy places that i feel service warrants much more. its a very odd practice.

So you haven't tipped since 1999?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here