Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 9th National Jazz, Blues and Pop Festival - Plumpton

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Anyone here go to this?! It later became Reading Festival.

9th-natjazzprogback-350.jpg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sorry didn't realise that wasn't on the poster! 1969.

Yes that sounds about right. Seems amazing to think that bands like Pink Floyd, the Who, and Bonzo Dog appeared at dear little Plumpton back in the day. Then again very few people realise that the Stones played an early gig at St. Leonard's Church Hall in Horsham in the early 60's. I guess they all had to start somewhere though.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Yep I went age 15, remember everyone slept in a massive marquee. Older lads disappearing in the night and came back with loads of food which was shared. Pink Floyd came on with the sound of a steam train travelling around the outside of the crowd. Had never heard anything like it before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Adding to that anyone go to Phun City in Worthing a year later, that was Phun!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yep I went age 15, remember everyone slept in a massive marquee. Older lads disappearing in the night and came back with loads of food which was shared. Pink Floyd came on with the sound of a steam train travelling around the outside of the crowd. Had never heard anything like it before.

Well it probably was a steam train back in 1969, Plumpton Racecourse had it's own station lol.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes that sounds about right. Seems amazing to think that bands like Pink Floyd, the Who, and Bonzo Dog appeared at dear little Plumpton back in the day. Then again very few people realise that the Stones played an early gig at St. Leonard's Church Hall in Horsham in the early 60's. I guess they all had to start somewhere though.

Protomartyr in Ramsgate (coming soon). :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Anyone here go to this?! It later became Reading Festival.

View attachment 97667
The 1969 line up, I think. I went t the 1970 one - which I think was the last. Also a very impressive line up. I was there, but can't remember many of the names now (and no, I was just a music freak at the time - no drink or drugs taken!).........
Deep Purple, Juicy Lucy, Hardin York, Fotheringay (I think), Hard Meat.............and many more. Oh happy days!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
£2, bargain.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
That is one fine festival line-up! Wish I could have been there, I've got CD's and/or LP's of 21 of those acts.

Great work - sounds like your music collection is on similar lines to mine. Think I can count 22 of those covered on vinyl - need to get some Blossom Toes, though, even if it's only a cheap repress. 1969 looks a cracking year (though I was only 9 at the time) ...

There were no steam trains (apart from a very few preserved lines) in 1969. Certainly none anywhere near Plumpton. Good sneer though.........................

Bluebell Railway not that far away, maybe they beamed the signal from there via Telstar to Plumpton? Would have gone but was only 10 at the time, pity as I got addicted to the lunacy of the "Bonzo's" via "Do Not Adjust Your Set" (ask your parents about it).

Also does anyone remember "...Cheque and S.A.E. :) .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here