Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] If you thought Football Tickets were expensive, consider gig tickets

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Took this screenshot when checking out ELO tickets a couple of months ago. Outrageous.

31408302_10155310894487190_4213813983431360512_o.jpg

Flex Your Head

Fair point. To be honest you can see a lot of really good bands for under a tenner. I still think twenty quid is expensive. More than that and it would have to be something special.

I was humming and hawing about paying £12.90 to see Fazerdaze in London, especially as £2.90 of that was wanky fees.
Last gig I went to was a tenner, but it featured 10 bands including Ghum, Porridge Radio, Charmpit and the utterly ace Crumbs. I never pay more than a tenner for gigs unless it's an all-dayer or a festival.

Flex Your Head

The singer put together a band with two new guitarists...
Well, it wasn't the 'actual' Chameleons then, was it? :thumbsup:

I was in Bratislava to look at buildings in early Spring a couple of years ago. Was gutted to miss this - The Script of The Bridge tour - by a few days. Maybe that was part of the same tour you saw them on?

Chameleons Brat.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, it wasn't the 'actual' Chameleons then, was it? :thumbsup:

I was in Bratislava to look at buildings in early Spring a couple of years ago. Was gutted to miss this - The Script of The Bridge tour - by a few days. Maybe that was part of the same tour you saw them on?

View attachment 97669

Read my post again - I edited it, in total volte face. :whistle:

Yes more than likely the same tour.

I was in Bratislava twice. Nice place. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ha, good work sir, although I fear we might have derailed the thread somewhat.

Sorry!

Derail a thread? That's what's its all about, surely? Seen the Forest thread? You can't see the wood for the trees :lolol:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Since I moved from God’s own County and ended up in Dorset, one consolation is the nearby Tivoli Theatre in Wimboure. It’s tiny and I’ve never paid more that £20 to see anyone. Admittedly it’s generally comedians just prior to starting a nationwide tour, but it’s less than £20 to see, amongst others, Al Murray, Eddy Izzard, Micky Flanagan Rick Wakeman and loads of well known acts, etc.

Mind you they have the cheek to charge a booking fee that’s usually under a quid, including postage, for your whole party.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Not even close I’m afraid, a pair of block a seats to see Barbra Streisand at the o2 about 6 years ago cost £1000 face value plus booking fee

VIP tickets for Britney at Preston Park were £175 each and sold out very quickly

I wouldn't pay that for Britney if she was offering a free shag behind the bike sheds in th interval.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I planned to surprise Mrs Chopper and Ms Chipper with a trip to Vegas and see Bruno Mars, decent tickets were $400 each, so I abandoned the idea.
Instead we went to see Plymouth legend Mad Dog Mcrea, who now owns a village pub and every now and again get up on stage, great evening and all for the cost of a few rounds of drinks.
Some on here may have seen Mad Dog on one of the smaller Glastonbury stages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzS5ubCVKME

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I guess we have the era of file sharing (stealing) to partially thank for this. Plenty of people on this very site extolled the virtues of never paying for downloaded music, but taking it via various ‘sharing’ and pirate sites. The warnings were all there, and Bowie said it a long time ago, if the artists can’t make the money from record sales, they’ll have to make it from live performances. Sad thing is, for so many of those fans that will buy tickets, they’re probably the ones who always bought the legitimate CDs or downloads.

As others have said, there are o,envy of excellent bands out there that you can see for £10 or £20, support them, and enjoy them. Brighton has some fantastic small venues, where it’s far more intimate, these days I far prefer to see a band at a Concorde II, The Dome or The Green Door Store than the O2.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Eddi Reader is playing the Pavilion Theatre in Worthing soon. I really like her voice and saw her 3 years ago at the Ropetackle and would like to see her again. The tickets are £31
and while I know that's not a lot compared to some of the prices already mentioned on this thread, it seems a lot for that particular gig and venue. It was £23 to see her last time.

Ropetackle tickets are generally great value - I can get to see most of the artists that interest me for £10-20.
Think the most I've ever paid was around £70 for Carole King, Michael Kiwanuka, Don Henley and all at Hyde Park the other year, which was really more of a 1-day festival. Worth it though.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Ropetackle tickets are generally great value - I can get to see most of the artists that interest me for £10-20.
Think the most I've ever paid was around £70 for Carole King, Michael Kiwanuka, Don Henley and all at Hyde Park the other year, which was really more of a 1-day festival. Worth it though.

I agree about Ropetackle prices. I've just paid £12 to see Connie Lush there & she's a top blues singer.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I agree about Ropetackle prices. I've just paid £12 to see Connie Lush there & she's a top blues singer.

£15 for The Men They Couldn’t Hang plus Barnstormer? £21 for Glenn Tilbrook? The Teason Show is about £16. Bargains :)

I see they also have The Blockheads, Curved Air and Wishbone Ash on the schedule for later this year amongst much else (not for me, but does show what an interesting and different place this is. Well worth supporting imho, and you can see some great acts at reasonable prices to boot).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
...............and he music industry wonders why there are illegal streams and people downloading stuff off t'intenet. It's almost like they can't understand people saying, 'F*** off, not at that price.'

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I bought 4 tickets to see the foo fighters at the Olympic Stadium in the premium lower tier seats closest to the stage and they have cost about £400 for the 4. I promised to take the kids because they had missed out on the previous time at a stadium in London when he broke his leg. To be honest its expensive but its a great day out and its not all the time so on occasions I will wear the cost of these big events.

Given the choice of spending £70 on a mediocre view or an extra £30 for a decent view I'll pay the extra every time.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Spent £100 to see The Stones in Hyde Park 5 years ago which was a treat to myself but I agree so many gigs these days are north of £60. The only difference is that for most people, we go to 3, 4, or 5 gigs a year, whereas with the footy its 19 home games plus the cup ones on top. Strange thing is though ultimately it must be Supply and Demand as even though we all hate paying over inflated prices for any tickets whether it be football or a concert, most events do sell out. If people really hated to pay these prices then they wouldn't go.

I said I'd never pay £100 for a gig after the Stones gig 5 years ago but next week I've paid £95 to see Sheryl Crow in Birmingham, although I do have a front row seat and meet and greet. I love my music like the footy and always seem to find the money from somewhere!

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Decided I wanted to see Roger Waters in Berlin a few weeks ago. Only VIP tickets left EUR 260.
Amazing show though, maybe do a VIP show once a year. Sensible thing is of course to find the new bands before they break.
Let’s face it with the Great Escape we have more chances than most.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
David Byrne has just announced he is coming back to the UK in October for a few dates.

So go onto O2 pre sale for North Greenwich, £110 + add-ons total £125

Is this a new record?

Needless to say, I'm not paying that much

Mate's wife and her mates are going to see Lionel Richie at Hove cricket ground for £100 a ticket. People seem to lose their minds when it comes to shelling out to see a gig.

O2 gigs could doubtless double or treble their prices and still sell out. Too many people with WAY more money than sense out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here