Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] If you thought Football Tickets were expensive, consider gig tickets

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I guess we have the era of file sharing (stealing) to partially thank for this. Plenty of people on this very site extolled the virtues of never paying for downloaded music, but taking it via various ‘sharing’ and pirate sites. The warnings were all there, and Bowie said it a long time ago, if the artists can’t make the money from record sales, they’ll have to make it from live performances. Sad thing is, for so many of those fans that will buy tickets, they’re probably the ones who always bought the legitimate CDs or downloads.

As others have said, there are o,envy of excellent bands out there that you can see for £10 or £20, support them, and enjoy them. Brighton has some fantastic small venues, where it’s far more intimate, these days I far prefer to see a band at a Concorde II, The Dome or The Green Door Store than the O2.

this and this. love the Concorde II.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I've got Pearl Jam, Taylor and the Foos next week. Not cheap at all, this is why festivals are such good value imo.

As has been said already Brighton is blessed with some cracking small venues showcasing a whole load of talent get yourself down to the Green Door, Hope, Haunt, Concorde, Sticky Mikes, The Albert etc and enjoy some more modestly priced music.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I've got Pearl Jam, Taylor and the Foos next week. Not cheap at all, this is why festivals are such good value imo.

As has been said already Brighton is blessed with some cracking small venues showcasing a whole load of talent get yourself down to the Green Door, Hope, Haunt, Concorde, Sticky Mikes, The Albert etc and enjoy some more modestly priced music.

Totally agree about festivals. Have just come back from Download. Early bird tickets were £185 for 5 day camping. Two of the headliners alone ( Guns & Roses and Ozzy) would have probably set you back the price of the ticket on their own. There was another headliner plus a few bigger bands in the £50 bracket ( Marilyn Manson for example). And you still have the choice of 120 other bands, Bad Religion, Hatebreed, Ice T and Body Count, Parkway Drive. Ok, it's impossible to see all 120 bands, but very realistic to see 6 or 7 full sets, except on the day GnR insist on a 3 hour slog of a set.
This country is blessed with all manner of festivals for all tastes and prices, whether it be Glastonbury or Glastonwick, they are brilliant value for money.

And yep, also pop down the Albert, The Haunt, Concorde 2 and the Pipeline, albeit a little snug, they generally put on free gigs.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
David Byrne has just announced he is coming back to the UK in October for a few dates.

So go onto O2 pre sale for North Greenwich, £110 + add-ons total £125

Is this a new record?

Needless to say, I'm not paying that much

Hmm - any chance of a couple of decent affordable tickets for John Fogerty and The Steve Miller Band at the O2 ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A-Ha did several nights at the O2 about a year ago. We looked at buying tickets, but even on the official O2 site they were over £100 each for the worst seats.

With travel, we weren't going to blow a few £100 on a single gig, so we ditched the idea.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are you sure? Dave Fielding and John Lever (RIP) both hate(d) Burgess.

Extensively debated, with genuflection, above. But I never said with Dave and John.

My little bro, who loved the Chams, and is visible in the audience in the early 80s video, finally lost it with Burgess, as he did with Jazz Colman of Killing Joke. Mostly over their hair. :lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Extensively debated, with genuflection, above. But I never said with Dave and John.

My little bro, who loved the Chams, and is visible in the audience in the early 80s video, finally lost it with Burgess, as he did with Jazz Colman of Killing Joke. Mostly over their hair. :lolol:

Sorry just saw the earlier posts. If you can get a ticket for Manchester for December 15th. They’re playing the whole of Strange Times to the local audience who are still evangelical in their support for the band.

Theatre of Hate are the support too to add to the occasion.

Burgess’s autobiography View From A Hill is a cracking read, slightly nuts at times, but he’s lived a varied life, including designing the ticketing system for Manchester City when they were at Maine Road, where I remember him selling me tickets from the office.

His Facebook spats with John Lever and a succession of former girlfriends have been great entertainment over the years too.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Back to the original post, £199 for The Cure, Editors, Interpol, Ride & Slowdive at Hyde Park in three weeks.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Back to the original post, £199 for The Cure, Editors, Interpol, Ride & Slowdive at Hyde Park in three weeks.

How on earth did you pay that much? Tickets I got were £70 ish. Unless you are in that elite section two metres from Robert Smith in which case I don’t feel sorry for you.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
How on earth did you pay that much? Tickets I got were £70 ish. Unless you are in that elite section two metres from Robert Smith in which case I don’t feel sorry for you.

Yup, when I saw the line up just decided to go for it. I'd pay decent money to see all of the line up. TIckets to see Robert Smith do a solo set at South Bank where he's curating over the next couple of week are going for more than that.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Could not agree more with o.p
I prefer small gigs. I have had cracking nights hearing good but lesser known artists .Now though even people like Steeleye Span when they came command a price.

Around here they are big on tribute bands .... that is a poor man's substitute. ....

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Paying £50 with fees to see The Streets in Brixton next Feb.

Thats the most I have paid.

Last Gig I paid for, was probably £40 to see Run The Jewels at the Roundhouse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here