Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scotland World Cup Winners 1978

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
On the eve of this 2018 World Cup competition, can I please ask that we all pause for a moment and quietly reflect on the 1978 competition, and it's unsung heroes: the Royal Mail Stamp Design Department

'Scotland's World Cup win stamp makes Postal Museum archive'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40743632

Stamps commemorating Scotland's victory at the 1978 World Cup... are part of an archive of postal history.

They are held in the new Postal Museum, which is opening in central London.

As [this] event [never] actually happened, the stamps were never made.

Ally MacLeod's Tartan Army failed to win football's most coveted trophy....

The stamp designs will not initially be on public display at the new museum but are part of the archive collection there that can be viewed on special appointment.

Chris Taft, head of collections at the Postal Museum, told BBC Scotland: "What they (Royal Mail) do occasionally is produce designs of stamps in the expectation of them happening, because obviously these things take time.

The 1978 Scotland World Cup squad contained stars like Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness and Joe Jordan
"If Scotland had been fortunate enough to win the World Cup that year, Royal Mail would obviously want to produce a stamp to mark it, and this was produced and designed but sadly never released.

"They don't do them for every World Cup on the off chance, but that year they obviously decided the chances were high enough to warrant a design."

''

HANDOUT-stamp00007-465639.jpg

_97101359_worldcup.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Even as an English kid, I was gutted they flopped. I remember the Peru and Iran results, and Willie Johnstone being sent home early for a drugs shame.

But I remember everyone else loving it. Even in 1978, there was Schadenfreude!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The tartan army, 78. Manager reminds me of another jock ****, little David Steele, telling his pygmy troops to go back to their constituencies and prepare for power :wanker::lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The tartan army, 78. Manager reminds me of another jock ****, little David Steele, telling his pygmy troops to go back to their constituencies and prepare for power :wanker::lolol:

On politics / comedy, David Steele's speech at the Liberal Assembly was hilarious. Mocked by comedians of the right and left forever.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Chris Taft, head of collections at the Postal Museum, told BBC Scotland: "What they (Royal Mail) do occasionally is produce designs of stamps in the expectation of them happening. If Scotland had been fortunate enough to win the World Cup that year, Royal Mail would obviously want to produce a stamp to mark it, and this was produced and designed but sadly never released. They don't do them for every World Cup on the off chance, but that year they obviously decided the chances were high enough to warrant a design."

It was shortly after this that Royal Mail introduced random drug testing for staff.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
And we'll really shake them up....

Although, in fairness, it was it was probably the strongest side ever to leave these shores- then and since. They won't assemble another team as strong as that.

I remember crowding round the telly for the match against the Dutch. Twas a Sunday evening (40 years almost to the day). If only they had come out the blocks as well.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And we'll really shake them up....

Although, in fairness, it was it was probably the strongest side ever to leave these shores- then and since. They won't assemble another team as strong as that.

I remember crowding round the telly for the match against the Dutch. Twas a Sunday evening (40 years almost to the day). If only they had come out the blocks as well.

The 1970 England squad contained great players throughout.

el punal

The 1970 England squad contained great players throughout.

The 1970 team was definitely better than the 1966 World Cup winners. Why, oh why, did Alf Ramsey take off Bobby Charlton when we were beating West Germany 2-0? He was totally running the game and England had the match in the bag. We then lost the initiative, let them back in and Der Bomber - Gerd Muller - did the rest. Ifs, buts, and maybes. :shrug:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its interesting when you look at the 1966 videos with the union jacks waving, and I remember the whole country being behind the Scots as well in 1978

Its a pity we now have this sort of Palace rivalry and a lot of people wanting to break up the union today.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
The Scotland team of 78 was superb it was such a disappointment. Souness, Sir Kenny, Joe Jordan, Gordon McQueen, Kenny Buns (player of the year), Asa Hartford , Archie Gemill, Just watched programme on iplayer Scotland 78 and its no surprise we did so poorly - poor hotel, poor training facilities no one had watched the opposition play, the willie Johnston issue

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
no one had watched the opposition play
Yeah I thought that was a telling point. When asked who took the free-kicks for the opposition, in an interview before the game, the keeper said he didn't know. He then let in two from free-kicks.

Scotland

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Its interesting when you look at the 1966 videos with the union jacks waving, and I remember the whole country being behind the Scots as well in 1978

Its a pity we now have this sort of Palace rivalry and a lot of people wanting to break up the union today.

Is that tongue in cheek about 78?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The 1970 team was definitely better than the 1966 World Cup winners. Why, oh why, did Alf Ramsey take off Bobby Charlton when we were beating West Germany 2-0? He was totally running the game and England had the match in the bag. We then lost the initiative, let them back in and Der Bomber - Gerd Muller - did the rest. Ifs, buts, and maybes. :shrug:

Suspect most managers, when 2-0 up with 20 minutes left, would rest a 32 year old playing in the heat of Mexico, and rest him ready for a semi final three days later! But as you say, ifs buts and maybes?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
When the Scots go on about 'English arrogance', and how the fans always seem to think that the English team are world-beaters - it never hurts to remind them of 1978.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here