Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    Members
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    586


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by el punal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The 1970 team was definitely better than the 1966 World Cup winners. Why, oh why, did Alf Ramsey take off Bobby Charlton when we were beating West Germany 2-0? He was totally running the game and England had the match in the bag. We then lost the initiative, let them back in and Der Bomber - Gerd Muller - did the rest. Ifs, buts, and maybes.
    I agree that's why I made this post. http://www.northstandchat.com/showth...=1#post8480669

    England could have won the 1970, 82, 90, & 2006 World cups. We never seem to get any luck. This coming World Cup is probably the first one where most neutrals have a team (Russia) other than England, that they would like to see lose.
    It'll be interesting to see what controversial Refereeing decisions go Russia's way.
    Newton's Third Law of Motion:

    III. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #22
      Members bhafc99's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Dubai
      Posts
      3,493


      1 Not allowed!
      Those stamps are great. Was it the World Cup of Ballet?
      "These were, I have to say, quite easily the ugliest people I have ever seen in my life, and I've been to Selhurst Park when Crystal Palace are at home."

      Charlie Connelly, 'Attention All Shipping: a Journey round the Shipping Forecast'; published by Abacus Books, 2004, page 94.
    • #23

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dangull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Its interesting when you look at the 1966 videos with the union jacks waving, and I remember the whole country being behind the Scots as well in 1978

      Its a pity we now have this sort of Palace rivalry and a lot of people wanting to break up the union today.
      It’s only because Scots have such a chip they’ve become bitter. As a kid I always wanted the other UK countries to do well but now I’m England and NI only. The rest can do one because of their jealous attitude toward us...inc Manx! ;)
      "Never miss a good chance to shut up"
    • #24
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Back in Brighton. Well Hove actually
      Posts
      12,259


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by colinz View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I agree that's why I made this post. http://www.northstandchat.com/showth...=1#post8480669

      England could have won the 1970, 82, 90, & 2006 World cups. We never seem to get any luck. This coming World Cup is probably the first one where most neutrals have a team (Russia) other than England, that they would like to see lose.
      It'll be interesting to see what controversial Refereeing decisions go Russia's way.
      I would add 98 to that list too
      First REMF goalscorer - EVER
    • #25
      Members wellquickwoody's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Melbourne
      Posts
      9,745


      0 Not allowed!
      'There will be no Tartan Army in Moscow!'

      And to be honest, any English 'army' that turns up will be struggling to find a flotilla of small boats to do a 'Dunkirk' for them!
      Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals
    • #26
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!
      Posts
      6,022


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dangull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Its interesting when you look at the 1966 videos with the union jacks waving, and I remember the whole country being behind the Scots as well in 1978

      Its a pity we now have this sort of Palace rivalry and a lot of people wanting to break up the union today.
      You are having a Turkish, my son! The whole country behind Scotland? There was more animosity then between us and the Jocks then there is today. I had to work in Scotland just before they departed for the “Argentine” and believe me there was no love lost between us footballing-wise.

      As a country I love Scotland, and the Scots - real friendly bunch. But when it comes to football it’s a no-no. Forgive me, and my friends, when we laughed like drains when Peru turned them over in their first WC match of 1978.
    • #27
      Members
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Posts
      135


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Suspect most managers, when 2-0 up with 20 minutes left, would rest a 32 year old playing in the heat of Mexico, and rest him ready for a semi final three days later! But as you say, ifs buts and maybes?
      I am reading Brian Glanville's excellent The Story of The World Cup at the moment and was surprised to learn that England were actually 2-1 down when Charlton went off. I also thought that they were 2-0 down. Both Charlton and Cooper were flagging and so taking off one of them off for Bell seemed sensible. Glanville was far more critical of Hunter coming on for Peters. Bought on to tighten things up he was all over the place apparently, even taking corners at one point. Regardless, Glanville concludes that the match was lost the moment Banks got food poisoning and its hard to disagree with that.
    • #28
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      16,456


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bod View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I am reading Brian Glanville's excellent The Story of The World Cup at the moment and was surprised to learn that England were actually 2-1 down when Charlton went off. I also thought that they were 2-0 down. Both Charlton and Cooper were flagging and so taking off one of them off for Bell seemed sensible. Glanville was far more critical of Hunter coming on for Peters. Bought on to tighten things up he was all over the place apparently, even taking corners at one point. Regardless, Glanville concludes that the match was lost the moment Banks got food poisoning and its hard to disagree with that.
      Eh? Are you talking about the West Germany game in 1970? We went 2-0 UP!

    • #29
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2013
      Location
      Location Location
      Posts
      647


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Doonhamer7 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The Scotland team of 78 was superb it was such a disappointment. Souness, Sir Kenny, Joe Jordan, Gordon McQueen, Kenny Buns (player of the year), Asa Hartford , Archie Gemill, Just watched programme on iplayer Scotland 78 and its no surprise we did so poorly - poor hotel, poor training facilities no one had watched the opposition play, the willie Johnston issue
      That programme on BBC iplayer is well worth a watch; the stories of the fans who made the journey, that state of the hotel as well as some classic footage.. I was firmly behind the Scots as a football crazed 9 year old, whose passions had been firmly set alight by the Albion in the previous 4 years. I had never watched a world cup before and with never having known a world cup with England playing in it in my lifetime to that point, I was definitely "on the march wi' Ally's Army!". Even more excitingly, the Albion were linked I think with one or two of the Peruvian's who beat Scotland - Oblitas?? Was Cubilas one as well?
    • #30

      0 Not allowed!
      Excellent little documentary on the BBC Iplayer still charting the campaign.

      Personally, the fans had ripped up Wembley the previous year for no other reason than they were scum, so I was hoping for their early exit and as usual with Scotland, they didn't disappoint on that front. Only surprise was the manner in which it happened.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •