Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: 2026 World cup

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well we could point to the two MLS clubs that have higher average attendances than Chelsea (or the three others that have sold out smaller 25k stadiums for between 3 and 5 seasons running). Or the fact that 1994 remains the highest attended WC in history, or that friendlies involving the Mexican and European big boys regularly sell out their NFL stadiums. . It's all fairly anecdotal though.
    I was only talking about whether those from the USA love Mexican or English football more. Football is clearly pretty popular in the USA, although you have to take into account their larger population.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members Garry Nelson's Left Foot's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
      Football is very popular in Canada, a lot of people follow the Premier League. There's just a general love of sport amongst a lot of Canadians.

On top of that, there's a huge number of immigrants from other football countries. If you go out on the streets of Toronto now there's World Cup flags everywhere.
      I have less knowledge of Canada so thats good to hear. It's a shame they couldn't have gone for it by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      That's about 20 years out of date - soccer is right up there in terms of popularity. It has always been a high participation sport, but was slow to be taken seriously, principally because of a lack of professional league. But things have changed.

MLS is still not taken seriously in many parts of the country, but Americans love the Mexican league, the Premier league, La Liga and Bundesliga - in that order. MLS viewing figures are third behind Mexican and English football. The point is that whilst MLS struggles for relevance, the sport certainly doesn't. Soccer TV ratings collectively absolutely dwarf those of NHL and are comfortably better than the NBA.

As for the World Cup, it is absolutely huge and has been so since at least 2006. It's why the USA took more fans to South Africa 2010 than any other country, and were in the top 3 of travelling numbers in Brazil too.
      It's based on my personal experience of the country and the many Americans I have met, am friends with and work(ed) with. If it's a wrong impression it's a wrong impression. It might turn out a lot of people but then again a lot of people live there. $400 a ticket? Ridiculous. A four week tournament spread out over three big countries two of which are considerably bigger than the entire continent of Europe. Ridiculous. Going back to a country that had it recently when FIFA talk about spreading the game. Ridiculous.

It will be a perfectly nice world cup. It won't be the joyous, soulful, passionate affair it would have been in Morocco. It'll be a slick money making event.

Basically I'm just sad it's not in Morocco. That would have been an old school cool world cup.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      It irks a bit that Mexico will now be hosts for a 3rd time, the US twice...... and others who have already had it twice, Brazil, Italy, France, Germany... just off the top of my head. Are We ever going to hold it again?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by heathgate View Post
      It irks a bit that Mexico will now be hosts for a 3rd time, the US twice...... and others who have already had it twice, Brazil, Italy, France, Germany... just off the top of my head. Are We ever going to hold it again?

Acapulco or Stoke? Hmmmm, let me think about that one.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      Acapulco or Stoke? Hmmmm, let me think about that one.
      Less decapitation in Stoke at least.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by heathgate View Post
      Less decapitation in Stoke at least.

Fair point.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      This 48 team thing is a disgrace. They've already ruined the Euros (where it's now almost impossible to go out in the first round and the eventual winners can finish third in their group) and now the World Cup will be spoiled in a similar manner.

Always used to say that the Euros were a tougher tournament because of the format and there being fewer shit teams. Not any more.
      If the extra teams are all given to Europe, it won't be so bad.

For this World Cup, Italy finish 2nd to Spain (they couldn't both finish top) and fail to qualify. Meanwhile, Panama finish 3rd, behind Mexico and Costa Rica, and they qualify automatically. It's ****ed up.

1 Spain - Q
      2 Italy
      3 Albania
      4 Israel
      5 Macedonia
      6 Liechtenstein

1 Mexico - Q
      2 Costa Rica - Q
      3 Panama - Q
      4 Honduras
      5 United States
      6 Trinidad and Tobago
      Hold tight, my man
      He's got the frisbee

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      If the extra teams are all given to Europe, it won't be so bad.

For this World Cup, Italy finish 2nd to Spain (they couldn't both finish top) and fail to qualify. Meanwhile, Panama finish 3rd, behind Mexico and Costa Rica, and they qualify automatically. It's ****ed up.

1 Spain - Q
      2 Italy
      3 Albania
      4 Israel
      5 Macedonia
      6 Liechtenstein

1 Mexico - Q
      2 Costa Rica - Q
      3 Panama - Q
      4 Honduras
      5 United States
      6 Trinidad and Tobago
      That's the CONCACAF fifth round of qualifying. Panama entered at round 4, which all the other teams there had to get through first too. We don't have that kind of system in Europe ... perhaps we should.