Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 88

Thread: 2026 World cup

  1. #61
    Members Albion my Albion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Darlington, UK
    Posts
    4,229


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frutos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.
    By then it will probably be called Trump International Stadium.

    Reminder, Trump saw thousands and thousands of people in New Jersey cheering during the attack on the World Trade Centers on 11/09/2001.
    Albion My Albion



    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #62
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Faversham
      Posts
      9,191


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So do all 3 host nations automatically qualify for the finals?
      No.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA

      Premier League : Brighton, le club le plus cool d'Angleterre
    • #63
      Members Albion my Albion's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Darlington, UK
      Posts
      4,229


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So do all 3 host nations automatically qualify for the finals?
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      No.
      Then does any National team automatically qualify? Wouldn't it be tragic if the USMNT didn't qualify while the US is hosting the majority of the games? Or would that guarantee a more even handed World Cup?
      Albion My Albion


    • #64
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Faversham
      Posts
      9,191


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion my Albion View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Then does any National team automatically qualify? Wouldn't it be tragic if the USMNT didn't qualify while the US is hosting the majority of the games? Or would that guarantee a more even handed World Cup?
      I don't think hosts automatically qualify any more, although that does beg the question WTF are the millions of Quatari soccer fans going to do when the world cup is on.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA

      Premier League : Brighton, le club le plus cool d'Angleterre
    • #65
      Members Hugo Rune's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      5,276

      2026 World cup


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry Nelson's Left Foot View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I think it's a really poor choice.
      Me too. As you say, all about money.

      The competition to host was appalling, where were all the other bids?

      It’s going to be around 50 teams in a whole continent rather than a single country! They’ve finally ****ed the competition.

      Should we do a UK wide bid along with Scandinavia & Iceland and ask FIFA to up it to 64 teams over 2 months? That’s the way it’s going.
      :guitar:
    • #66
      Members
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      London
      Posts
      3,807


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion my Albion View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Then does any National team automatically qualify? Wouldn't it be tragic if the USMNT didn't qualify while the US is hosting the majority of the games? Or would that guarantee a more even handed World Cup?
      The host country would also automatically qualify for the FIFA World Cup, and its slot would be taken from the quota of its confederation. In the event of co-hosting, the number of host countries to qualify automatically would be decided by the FIFA Council.
      https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news...r-2878254.html

      Personally, I expect all 3 host countries to automatically qualify.
    • #67
      Members Mustafa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      12,036


      1 Not allowed!
      This has basically created the first continental World Cup Host.

      May as well be called North America 2026.

      What next? Africa 2030? Europe 2034?

      Wouldn't surprise me. Would have been better if it was a double host like other developing football nations Japan & S. Korea, USA & Canada.
    • #68
      Olympic Gold Medallist Frutos's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Location
      Northumberland
      Posts
      30,047


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      This has basically created the first continental World Cup Host.

      May as well be called North America 2026.

      What next? Africa 2030? Europe 2034?

      Wouldn't surprise me. Would have been better if it was a double host like other developing football nations Japan & S. Korea, USA & Canada.
      Albeit as a one-off, Euro 2020 is Europe-wide.
      REMF Quiz Champion 2016
    • #69
      NOT the Honey Badger Badger's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      10,162


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry Nelson's Left Foot View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      That's not my experience of America/Canada and Americans/Canadians. Sure it's more popular than it was 20 years ago and the U.S team isn't the joke that it was but it's still their number five (four at best) sport and the place isn't going to be gripped by world cup fever like it would in Morocco or any other country that loves the game. On top of that it's spread out over three enormous countries. That's just plain ridiculous.

      I'm sure it'll be a perfectly o.k tournament and compared to the shitshow that Qatar will be it will no doubt look great but..but...Morocco would have been miles better. Granted the stadium issue isn't great but it's a missed opportunity IMO.
      Football is very popular in Canada, a lot of people follow the Premier League. There's just a general love of sport amongst a lot of Canadians.

      On top of that, there's a huge number of immigrants from other football countries. If you go out on the streets of Toronto now there's World Cup flags everywhere.
      Abso-bloody-exactly
    • #70
      Members
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      Location
      Geelong, Vic, Australia
      Posts
      542


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I don't think hosts automatically qualify any more, although that does beg the question WTF are the millions of Quatari soccer fans going to do when the world cup is on.
      I think it’s the defending champions who don’t qualify automatically anymore.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •