Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 2026 World cup

Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This - people talk about Portugal being all about Ronaldo, but in reality PEPE is the spirit of Portugal distilled into one player.

(Sergio Ramos really ought to Portuguese, tbh)
    Pepe is such a ****. And yes, he embodies that team!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members Garry Nelson's Left Foot's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
      I think it's a really poor choice. Not only is it in three different countries its in three huge countries, two of which don't even like the game, one of which held the world cup as recently as 94, another of which has held it twice, the last time in 86. It's the safe, corporate, money making choice(so no guesses why it got chosen) but it's going tp be pretty bland. No colour, passion or vibrancy. It'll only be fun for those able to take 4-6 weeks off work and able to go on a major road trip but that's nothing to do with the actual tournament.

Morocco on the other hand would have been a great choice. It would have been their first time to host and only africa's second, it's a proper football loving country which would have put on an amazing, passionate, exciting, interesting tournament. Plus its in a great location. Easy for the European teams to get to and easy for the African teams to get to thus guaranteeing large numbers of fans, atmosphere and everything good that comes with it.

But with the US, Canada, Mexico bid charging an average of $400 a ticket and that bid forecast to make double the amount Morocco would it's no surprise which trough FIFA buried its snout in.

2 Not allowed!
      Morocco's bid involved 14 stadiums - 9 of which do not exist yet, and the other 5 needing renovations. The North America bid involves 23 stadiums either already built or currently under construction. In those terms, and given the fact that the North America stadiums are not as likely to end up as a series of rotting white elephants immediately after the WC, it makes more sense to award it to them.

With that being said, if Morocco's bid had usurped the American one in terms of profits for FIFA, then we all know where it would be headed. It didn't though, so it was always going to be a done deal.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

7 Not allowed!
      People moaning about a World Cup in America after 2022 was awarded to Qatar?

Facking hell.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      £322 AVERAGE ticket price

How can anyone justify paying anything like that?

Obscene.

Hopefully it is just a small number of incredibly expensive luxury tickets that will be skewing the average. Wonder what the median or cheapest price is?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry Nelson's Left Foot View Post
      I think it's a really poor choice. Not only is it in three different countries its in three huge countries, two of which don't even like the game, one of which held the world cup as recently as 94, another of which has held it twice, the last time in 86. It's the safe, corporate, money making choice(so no guesses why it got chosen) but it's going tp be pretty bland. No colour, passion or vibrancy. It'll only be fun for those able to take 4-6 weeks off work and able to go on a major road trip but that's nothing to do with the actual tournament.

Morocco on the other hand would have been a great choice. It would have been their first time to host and only africa's second, it's a proper football loving country which would have put on an amazing, passionate, exciting, interesting tournament. Plus its in a great location. Easy for the European teams to get to and easy for the African teams to get to thus guaranteeing large numbers of fans, atmosphere and everything good that comes with it.

But with the US, Canada, Mexico bid charging an average of $400 a ticket and that bid forecast to make double the amount Morocco would it's no surprise which trough FIFA buried its snout in.
      I can't really agree with this. The game hasn't really had a popularity problem in the US or Canada for two decades. Aside from the money, It will be the highest attended World Cup ever, in some of the best stadiums in the world. The US and Mexico will be very competitive on home turf - certainly more so than South Africa were or Qatar will be. Even Canada might prove half decent, as their problem historically has been that their best players elect to play for other countries. It'll be easier to change that with a WC around the corner.

Morocco too would have been tremendous I'm sure, with an African and European flavour to it, but they would have had to build most of their stadia. I'm not sure that's sensible.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

0 Not allowed!
      I hope the stage is set for lots more multi-country bids.The prospect of a successful bid from say Morocco/Algeria/Tunisia or The Balkans or Nigeria/Cameroon or Central America appeals to me
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista
      A little piece of Sussex below Atlanta, GA, USA

0 Not allowed!
      Local press reporting that the US will have 60 of the 80 games including all the QF, SF and the final.
      "Is that an Afghan melon?"

0 Not allowed!
      By 2026 Trump will no longer be president and the Canadian/American War will be over and the wall between US and Mexico will be falling down.
      Albion My Albion

Members Garry Nelson's Left Foot's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      I can't really agree with this. The game hasn't really had a popularity problem in the US or Canada for two decades. Aside from the money, It will be the highest attended World Cup ever, in some of the best stadiums in the world. The US and Mexico will be very competitive on home turf - certainly more so than South Africa were or Qatar will be. Even Canada might prove half decent, as their problem historically has been that their best players elect to play for other countries. It'll be easier to change that with a WC around the corner.

Morocco too would have been tremendous I'm sure, with an African and European flavour to it, but they would have had to build most of their stadia. I'm not sure that's sensible.
      That's not my experience of America/Canada and Americans/Canadians. Sure it's more popular than it was 20 years ago and the U.S team isn't the joke that it was but it's still their number five (four at best) sport and the place isn't going to be gripped by world cup fever like it would in Morocco or any other country that loves the game. On top of that it's spread out over three enormous countries. That's just plain ridiculous.

I'm sure it'll be a perfectly o.k tournament and compared to the shitshow that Qatar will be it will no doubt look great but..but...Morocco would have been miles better. Granted the stadium issue isn't great but it's a missed opportunity IMO.