Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2026 World cup

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This is obviously going to mean some rather late night kick-offs for those watching in the UK

tumblr_mi52chcpCD1s2gg27o1_250.gif

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Apparently Atlanta's Mercedes Benz stadium is slated for a semi (oh er Misses) Holds the record for an MLS match crowd of 70k! (Sept 2017) And they have an annoying drum !

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Two good bids for this one. Not going to lie, was rooting for Morocco a football crazy country that would have offered a very different style of World Cup, a far more more worthy bid than Q***r for instance.

That said the US, Mexico, Canada bid is an excellent one with a whole shedload of great places to visit. Got my eye on the Mercedes Benz in Atlanta already, not to mention Toronto, and Mexico City. It will be a genuinely global tournament and a whole lot of fun I expect. Good to see former Albion man Paul Beirne enjoying the successful bid today in his role as the big cheese in Canadian soccer, really pleased for him.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Two good bids for this one. Not going to lie, was rooting for Morocco a football crazy country that would have offered a very different style of World Cup, a far more more worthy bid than Q***r for instance.

That said the US, Mexico, Canada bid is an excellent one with a whole shedload of great places to visit. Got my eye on the Mercedes Benz in Atlanta already, not to mention Toronto, and Mexico City. It will be a genuinely global tournament and a whole lot of fun I expect. Good to see former Albion man Paul Beirne enjoying the successful bid today in his role as the big cheese in Canadian soccer, really pleased for him.

If Atlanta does get a game and you get here, bring ear plugs...its deafening!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Apparently Atlanta's Mercedes Benz stadium is slated for a semi (oh er Misses) Holds the record for an MLS match crowd of 70k! (Sept 2017) And they have an annoying drum !

Check out the Stadium though, more importantly the roof!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gotta feel sorry for the English hooligans.

- Beaten to a pulp by off duty army special forces.
- Burnt to a crisp while drinking panda pops.
- Shot for no apparent reason.

Denied to chance of going to Aussieland for some like minded bonding and chair luzzing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I get why the US and Canada did a joint bid, but why include Mexico who have already hosted 2 World Cup Finals in the last 48 years?

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I get why the US and Canada did a joint bid, but why include Mexico who have already hosted 2 World Cup Finals in the last 48 years?

I suspect its attract the local crowds to get full stadia. Majority of the crowds here are from Latin America.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
brilliant news!

would love to watch England play in Canada (if we qualify)

and as I'm part Canadian,it will be fantastic to see them in the finals (presume they don't have to qualify)

I wonder where the final will be played?

only fair that it's Canada,as Mexico & the US have already staged finals
So do all 3 host nations automatically qualify for the finals?

Aren't there going to be about 120 countries in it by then anyway? Scotland might even qualify :lol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Aren't there going to be about 120 countries in it by then anyway? Scotland might even qualify [emoji38]
They'd probably get knocked out in a qualifier against St Kitts and Nevis after finishing bottom of European group 12.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Consortiums of countries will be hosting World Cup/Olympics more often in the future given the astronomical costs involved for the host nations. Can see them keen to spread the cost about a bit.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I suspect its attract the local crowds to get full stadia. Majority of the crowds here are from Latin America.

I see. Having these three large nations co-host, and given Brazil hosted in 2014 - this more or less guarantees that Argentina will host the World Cup again the next time it goes to the Americas, or maybe a joint bid with Uruguay who have historic World Cup pedigree?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"The Fifa heirarchy, including the president, Gianni Infantino, preferred the North American bid which has promised to generate around an $11bn (£8.24bn) profit for Fifa compared to the projected $5.7bn (£4.48bn) a Morocco World Cup would raise. The Moroccans had been keen to emphasise its more fan-friendly pricing in contrast with the United 2026 bid which stated an average ticket price of $431 (£322), a significant increase on the Brazil and Russia World Cups."

Given that fact, it was pretty obvious which was gong to be the successful bid then wasn't it. I dunno why Morocco bothered to continue lobbying for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here