Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2026 World cup

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
"The Fifa heirarchy, including the president, Gianni Infantino, preferred the North American bid which has promised to generate around an $11bn (£8.24bn) profit for Fifa compared to the projected $5.7bn (£4.48bn) a Morocco World Cup would raise. The Moroccans had been keen to emphasise its more fan-friendly pricing in contrast with the United 2026 bid which stated an average ticket price of $431 (£322), a significant increase on the Brazil and Russia World Cups."

Given that fact, it was pretty obvious which was gong to be the successful bid then wasn't it. I dunno why Morocco bothered to continue lobbying for it.

I, for one, am really shocked and surprised that FIFA would make their choice based on profits rather than the good of football and the fans.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Looking forward to this 48 team tournament.

I've already got my 2026 Panini World Cup sticker album. :thumbsup:

thick-book-shot-over-white-34834466.jpg

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Looking forward to this 48 team tournament.

I've already got my 2026 Panini World Cup sticker album. :thumbsup:

thick-book-shot-over-white-34834466.jpg

Think the grandson's 2018 one already looks like that.More swappers than stickers.Shame Morocco didn't get it,but money talks,With FIFA more than most,allegedly.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Australlia fully deserve a World cup in my mind, but Another in the USA will not be disapointing, much better than Qatar which is still a complete joke.

Agree only had it in 94 and it was sh1t.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
£322 AVERAGE ticket price :eek:

How can anyone justify paying anything like that?

Obscene.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This 48 team thing is a disgrace. They've already ruined the Euros (where it's now almost impossible to go out in the first round and the eventual winners can finish third in their group) and now the World Cup will be spoiled in a similar manner.

Always used to say that the Euros were a tougher tournament because of the format and there being fewer shit teams. Not any more.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This 48 team thing is a disgrace. They've already ruined the Euros (where it's now almost impossible to go out in the first round and the eventual winners can finish third in their group) and now the World Cup will be spoiled in a similar manner.

Always used to say that the Euros were a tougher tournament because of the format and there being fewer shit teams. Not any more.

Portugal managed to draw their way to being European Champions. They only managed to win ONCE in normal time, and that was against the 1-man team.

Drew 1-1 with Iceland
Drew 0-0 with Austria
Drew 3-3 with Hungary
Drew 0-0 with Croatia (won 1-0 AET)
Won 2-0 v Wales
Drew 0-0 with France (won 1-0 AET)

I know that Greece were dull, but surely that Portugal team are the most miserable European Champions ever.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Portugal managed to draw their way to being European Champions. They only managed to win ONCE in normal time, and that was against the 1-man team.

Drew 1-1 with Iceland
Drew 0-0 with Austria
Drew 3-3 with Hungary
Drew 0-0 with Croatia (won 1-0 AET)
Won 2-0 v Wales
Drew 0-0 with France (won 1-0 AET)

I know that Greece were dull, but surely that Portugal team are the most miserable European Champions ever.
Yeah agreed. Portugal are probably my least favourite international team. Narcissistic prick aside, they are the worst offenders for cheating, diving, niggly fouls, snide attempts to get players sent off, negative play the like and they showed all of that in that tournament.

Before they messed with the format they'd have been out at the group stage and good bloody riddance too.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yeah agreed. Portugal are probably my least favourite international team. Narcissistic prick aside, they are the worst offenders for cheating, diving, niggly fouls, snide attempts to get players sent off, negative play the like and they showed all of that in that tournament.

Before they messed with the format they'd have been out at the group stage and good bloody riddance too.

This - people talk about Portugal being all about Ronaldo, but in reality PEPE is the spirit of Portugal distilled into one player.

(Sergio Ramos really ought to Portuguese, tbh)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think it's a really poor choice. Not only is it in three different countries its in three huge countries, two of which don't even like the game, one of which held the world cup as recently as 94, another of which has held it twice, the last time in 86. It's the safe, corporate, money making choice(so no guesses why it got chosen) but it's going tp be pretty bland. No colour, passion or vibrancy. It'll only be fun for those able to take 4-6 weeks off work and able to go on a major road trip but that's nothing to do with the actual tournament.

Morocco on the other hand would have been a great choice. It would have been their first time to host and only africa's second, it's a proper football loving country which would have put on an amazing, passionate, exciting, interesting tournament. Plus its in a great location. Easy for the European teams to get to and easy for the African teams to get to thus guaranteeing large numbers of fans, atmosphere and everything good that comes with it.

But with the US, Canada, Mexico bid charging an average of $400 a ticket and that bid forecast to make double the amount Morocco would it's no surprise which trough FIFA buried its snout in.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Morocco's bid involved 14 stadiums - 9 of which do not exist yet, and the other 5 needing renovations. The North America bid involves 23 stadiums either already built or currently under construction. In those terms, and given the fact that the North America stadiums are not as likely to end up as a series of rotting white elephants immediately after the WC, it makes more sense to award it to them.

With that being said, if Morocco's bid had usurped the American one in terms of profits for FIFA, then we all know where it would be headed. It didn't though, so it was always going to be a done deal.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
£322 AVERAGE ticket price :eek:

How can anyone justify paying anything like that?

Obscene.

Hopefully it is just a small number of incredibly expensive luxury tickets that will be skewing the average. Wonder what the median or cheapest price is?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it's a really poor choice. Not only is it in three different countries its in three huge countries, two of which don't even like the game, one of which held the world cup as recently as 94, another of which has held it twice, the last time in 86. It's the safe, corporate, money making choice(so no guesses why it got chosen) but it's going tp be pretty bland. No colour, passion or vibrancy. It'll only be fun for those able to take 4-6 weeks off work and able to go on a major road trip but that's nothing to do with the actual tournament.

Morocco on the other hand would have been a great choice. It would have been their first time to host and only africa's second, it's a proper football loving country which would have put on an amazing, passionate, exciting, interesting tournament. Plus its in a great location. Easy for the European teams to get to and easy for the African teams to get to thus guaranteeing large numbers of fans, atmosphere and everything good that comes with it.

But with the US, Canada, Mexico bid charging an average of $400 a ticket and that bid forecast to make double the amount Morocco would it's no surprise which trough FIFA buried its snout in.

I can't really agree with this. The game hasn't really had a popularity problem in the US or Canada for two decades. Aside from the money, It will be the highest attended World Cup ever, in some of the best stadiums in the world. The US and Mexico will be very competitive on home turf - certainly more so than South Africa were or Qatar will be. Even Canada might prove half decent, as their problem historically has been that their best players elect to play for other countries. It'll be easier to change that with a WC around the corner.

Morocco too would have been tremendous I'm sure, with an African and European flavour to it, but they would have had to build most of their stadia. I'm not sure that's sensible.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I hope the stage is set for lots more multi-country bids.The prospect of a successful bid from say Morocco/Algeria/Tunisia or The Balkans or Nigeria/Cameroon or Central America appeals to me

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Local press reporting that the US will have 60 of the 80 games including all the QF, SF and the final.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
By 2026 Trump will no longer be president and the Canadian/American War will be over and the wall between US and Mexico will be falling down.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I can't really agree with this. The game hasn't really had a popularity problem in the US or Canada for two decades. Aside from the money, It will be the highest attended World Cup ever, in some of the best stadiums in the world. The US and Mexico will be very competitive on home turf - certainly more so than South Africa were or Qatar will be. Even Canada might prove half decent, as their problem historically has been that their best players elect to play for other countries. It'll be easier to change that with a WC around the corner.

Morocco too would have been tremendous I'm sure, with an African and European flavour to it, but they would have had to build most of their stadia. I'm not sure that's sensible.

That's not my experience of America/Canada and Americans/Canadians. Sure it's more popular than it was 20 years ago and the U.S team isn't the joke that it was but it's still their number five (four at best) sport and the place isn't going to be gripped by world cup fever like it would in Morocco or any other country that loves the game. On top of that it's spread out over three enormous countries. That's just plain ridiculous.

I'm sure it'll be a perfectly o.k tournament and compared to the shitshow that Qatar will be it will no doubt look great but..but...Morocco would have been miles better. Granted the stadium issue isn't great but it's a missed opportunity IMO.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here