Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Buying mountain bike advice

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Cannondale all the way. I never buy anything else.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Always value your advice.

We'll go to the bike shop open-minded about mountain bikes or hybrids. We'll mention the likely terrain and use.

My only bike is a Boardman hybrid, bought new, which I enjoy using and it weighs like a feather.

The disadvantages of a MTB's chunky tyres and heavy weight will be taken into account.
I apologise for my rudeness, this is my bugbear, I was just popping out (for a short ride) so replied quickly without thinking.

"Oh I wish I cycled more, I just don't enjoy it".
"Do you have a bike?"
"Yeah I've got a mountain bike, £50 from Argos, the tyres are a bit flat but it's a bike isn't it?"
"No, no, no, under no circumstances is that a bike, it's no more a bike than I am a roof-rack".

Anyhoo I digress.

All manufactures make hybrids for all tastes and age groups, which is why the arse has dropped out of the mountain bike market.

Hybrids range from a road bike with flat bars, to mountain bikes without the nonsense.
Once you take off everything he doesn't need and can go wrong, esp in the hands of a teenager, you'll end up with a great bike £100 cheaper and still the belle of the ball, although obviously Bry is correct when he says none of that really matters.

Funnily enough I just cycled past 5 lads on their bikes, I wouldn't have given it a second though but for this thread.
4 on mountain bikes, 1 on a Carrera road bike, once again proving Bry right.
So there they are, 4 pedaling away into the wind while the lad on his road bike just sitting putting in no effort at all.

But if you insist, Rayment cycles stock cubes, ghastly neon things that seem to be popular with the kidz, although being German they might no longer be the little bit cheaper, they once were.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hi.

Needed for:
City casual bike rides to meet mates or to school.
Plus occasional 40 mile rides on Sussex cycle paths.

NOT at his stage for South Downs type rides.

Cycle paths do not link up very well. Mistake I made buying a hybrid. It might say bridlepath or byway on the map but passable only by a good dedicated mountain bike. Size of wheels might depend on your size. i actually find the 26" wheels easier to handle. But then I am Baldock sized.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Following the various great advice, today from Rayments we bought a new Specialized Pitch Comp MTB. In a large frame (equivalent of 19" plus), front suspension only, with discs. A lovely looking bike.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/mens-pitch-comp-650b/p/134024

It turns out, as a poster intimated here, that many of the Sussex cycle paths my son rides comprise loose stones and sharp flints. So a robust MTB with nobbly tyres made best sense.

Matt @ Rayments was very helpful.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I bought a Carrera 3 years ago for £200 from Halfords, goes up mountains every week, check location, no problems, probably heavy but I use it to keep fit so that will help. Will trouble some on this thread as it doesn't have a Skinny Latte cup holder.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Following the various great advice, today from Rayments we bought a new Specialized Pitch Comp MTB. In a large frame (equivalent of 19" plus), front suspension only, with discs. A lovely looking bike.

It turns out, as a poster intimated here, that many of the Sussex cycle paths my son rides comprise loose stones and sharp flints. So a robust MTB with nobbly tyres made best sense.

Very nice, hope he enjoys it. Don’t mean to be nanny state like, but please make sure he uses a good fitted helmet. Mine saved my life.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Good choice, that is a thing of beauty :drool:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Hope you bought a puncture repair kit too :moo:

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very nice, hope he enjoys it. Don’t mean to be nanny state like, but please make sure he uses a good fitted helmet. Mine saved my life.

I don’t mind you mentioning bike helmets at all. Until about 5 years ago I nonchantly both skied, and rode bikes, never wearing a helmet. There was no particular incident but one day which? reviewed bike helmets and highly rated a Specialized one. I bought it and have always worn it since. I also insist that my kids use a securely held helmet.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
4 on mountain bikes, 1 on a Carrera road bike, once again proving Bry right.
So there they are, 4 pedaling away into the wind while the lad on his road bike just sitting putting in no effort at all.

The kicker in this scenario has already been pointed out with an unusual clarity from perseus! :lolol: if they decide, like kids do, to ride down a bridle path or over a bumpy field then road bike boy has no chance.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The kicker in this scenario has already been pointed out with an unusual clarity from perseus! :lolol: if they decide, like kids do, to ride down a bridle path or over a bumpy field then road bike boy has no chance.

Very true which is why I never suggested a road bike althoug a cyclocross bike would do just fine.

But did attempt to dispel some of the odd comments around hybrids.
His mates would go nuts if he rolled up on one of those Cannondale leftie hybrid thingys.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm actually going to have a look at that. I want to get another bike. I live within a mile of work now. I've stopped driving week days and started walking so my intention is to sell my car and buy a bike. We've got the family car so mine is really just a luxury that I can really do without.

I work on Victoria in. Estate but live up by the triangle so want to do a circuit of Burgess hill before and after work taking advantage of some of the trails around town. In winter and it's dark I want to change tyres to skinnier as off roading in the dark is stupid and downright dangerous. A 29er seems ideal but I've been riding a 25 year old steel framed Raleigh I've had since a teenager. So probably going for a 27.5

I've been doing a lot of reading and decided I want a Hard tail. No need for full suspension. There's not a lot of difference between Shimano tourney, altus and alivio drive train. Especially on entry level bikes.

I've got a choice between the Scott Aspect or Giant ATX. The specs are very close, just down to colour and design really.

I popped in to Evans today to have a closer look at the Scott and yesterday i went to Haywards Heath cy le centre to have a look at the Giant but I really like both!. The cycle to work scheme looks good but I need to talk to work to see if they can register for it as we're only a small company. The savings (especially through Evans) look very good so I'm broadening the search to bikes up to £650ish that will come down to £500 or less in the scheme. A lot more choice and decisions to make!

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm actually going to have a look at that. I want to get another bike. I live within a mile of work now. I've stopped driving week days and started walking so my intention is to sell my car and buy a bike. We've got the family car so mine is really just a luxury that I can really do without.

I work on Victoria in. Estate but live up by the triangle so want to do a circuit of Burgess hill before and after work taking advantage of some of the trails around town. In winter and it's dark I want to change tyres to skinnier as off roading in the dark is stupid and downright dangerous. A 29er seems ideal but I've been riding a 25 year old steel framed Raleigh I've had since a teenager. So probably going for a 27.5

I've been doing a lot of reading and decided I want a Hard tail. No need for full suspension. There's not a lot of difference between Shimano tourney, altus and alivio drive train. Especially on entry level bikes.

I've got a choice between the Scott Aspect or Giant ATX. The specs are very close, just down to colour and design really.

I popped in to Evans today to have a closer look at the Scott and yesterday i went to Haywards Heath cy le centre to have a look at the Giant but I really like both!. The cycle to work scheme looks good but I need to talk to work to see if they can register for it as we're only a small company. The savings (especially through Evans) look very good so I'm broadening the search to bikes up to £650ish that will come down to £500 or less in the scheme. A lot more choice and decisions to make!

Small companies can definitely use the Cycle to Work Scheme.

No need to waste firm's money by using the third party firms to run it, who pop up at the top of Google searches. Your firm's payroll person or external payroll bureau/accountants should be able to handle it.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Nice! Love the Matt grey version....may look at that one for my eldest (who handed down his Hard Rock to his little brother)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Hi.

Needed for:
City casual bike rides to meet mates or to school.
Plus occasional 40 mile rides on Sussex cycle paths.

NOT at his stage for South Downs type rides.

Ok well I would urge you to buy something he can use properly off road but commit to adding intermediate tyres for him while he uses it on roads/cycle paths.

This will maximise the use of the bike for a longer period and make it tonnes better ride wise for him in the first period when he’s using it on well surfaced paths etc. The loss of power due to friction of riding on tarmac surfaces with full off road tyres is leg sapping and he’ll thank-you for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok I accept there might be the odd advantage to mountain biking:-

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills