Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Buying mountain bike advice

MonkeyGland

Jul 3, 2008
Hi.

Needed for:
City casual bike rides to meet mates or to school.
Plus occasional 40 mile rides on Sussex cycle paths.

NOT at his stage for South Downs type rides.

Personally I would look at a Hybrid Bike with front suspension for this use case (some even come with a lockout to make it more efficient cycling on tarmac (lock the suspension) or more comfortable (open the suspension) when doing the really light off road stuff). I bought one (a Norco XFR) for my son last year, it was only 6 months old (guy bought it with intention of getting fit but only used it twice) that retailed at £600 new which I paid £250 for. It was in A1 / like new condition (not a single scratch). Which meant it left plenty of money for a service if it needed or any other modifications (like pedals/grips/locks/lights etc) which you will normally need to add to your spending budget. Just make sure you check it isnt stolen (!) (sites like https://stolen-bikes.co.uk/ or https://www.bikeregister.com/stolen-bikes are useful) and ask to see original purchase paperwork etc. If you are committed to buying new, I would definitely recommend the local bike shop route, for my personal mountain bike, South Down Bikes (in Storrington) price matched an online retailer - the advantages of this are especially so when things go wrong or even just getting the first free service done etc.

theboybilly

Most major brand frames are now made in Taiwan and likely in the same factory. They then get sent wherever to have the running gear added on per spec. I agree that you can get a bike with good equipment without it being a name that thieves will target (Raleigh, Dawes, Claud Butler spring to mind)
For the intended use perhaps a MTB isn't the wisest choice - the loosely-termed hybrid might be a better bet with strong tyres for gentle trails without knobblies that require more effort on the road. You'll save weight on not needing any suspension either. Again Dawes, Raleigh etc will have something to fit the bill here. Make sure you get a decent lock (or two)

Edit: Dawes seem to do a very nice bike well within budget -The Dawes Trail @ £269 It will do light trails and light off-roading and no unnecessary. front suspension. Further up the scale is the Dawes Discovery which comes with disc brakes but you pay a bit more. Still within budget though

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Avoid their own Jamis range.

Jamis are a long standing American brand and are only distributed by Evans over here - they have nothing to do with the design or build....
My mate has a carbon Jamis road bike and loves it - the budget Durango & Trail X range of MTBs is really nice, & I wouldn't have a problem with getting one for my kid at all.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I bought a Carrerra Fury after it did very well in a lot of "best MTB under £500.00" articles a few years ago. The problem with these articles is that they tend to judge on the quality of the new bike and there is no look at durability and reliability.

The Carrerra needed its bottom bracket and rear hub replaced within weeks, the BB has since been replaced again and I suspect it has just gone for a third time; the end of the through-axle is incredibly fragile, I am on my third and they are not cheap; the head-set leaked and seized - it needed to be replaced which was an absolute nightmare. Constant punctures until I replaced the tyres. Generally a bit of a dog.

Halfords have been fairly rubbish, their response when I brought the bike back the first time was to accuse me of using a pressure washer on the bike.

Evans on the other hand, I have always found fairly good and I am still riding a Pinnacle (their own brand) Cyclocross bike which is now 14 years old.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Invested in a Giant hybrid e-bike this spring and it's superb. Best purchase I've made for years.

The sneering from cycling purists doesn't bother me at all. I'm doing more miles than I've done for years, across hill and dale on the short commute to work, into town for groceries, over the SDW and adjacent trails for fun. You still have to pedal (some people seem to think e-bikes are mopeds – they aren't), and you still work up a sweat and burn calories, but it takes the pain out of hills and I don't arrive at my destination in need of a shower.

E-bikes outsell traditional bikes in Germany now and I suspect it won't be long before that's the case here as well. As I say, there's a lot of prejudice towards them, but I bloody love mine.

I'm finally going to bite.

Can you tell me how the sneering from cycling purists manifests itself?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm finally going to bite.

Can you tell me how the sneering from cycling purists manifests itself?

Not looking for "bites".

The most recent examples: "That's cheating!" shouted by a knacked MTB rider on the SDW as I zoom past at 16mph.

The hands in the air and "don't even get me started!" from a guy I know organising a charity bike ride when I mentioned that me and my e-bike are considering taking part.

The "that's not really cycling though, is it?" when I told a neighbour I was doing a 20-mile round trip to do some grocery shopping.

As I say, I don't mind one bit. I thought e-bikes were a bit of a joke too until I actually rode one. I'm having a great time.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So 2 non-cyclists and an organiser v a ton of positivity from here alone.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION]

If you decide to go for a new bike, take a look at a few 'best £500 mountain bike' features from magazines and then choose one of those.

http://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/best-cheap-mountain-bike-331305
https://www.t3.com/features/best-mountain-bike-under-500

If going second-hand then you'll have to see what's in the local area, the best site for listings (in my opinion of course) is pinkbike.com
https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?region=5&countryid=193&cityid=919&category=2

Good luck

[MENTION=33965]FatSuperman[/MENTION]

Many thanks for the links. I've made notes to take along to the recommended bike shop. We'll be buying new.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=33965]FatSuperman[/MENTION]

Many thanks for the links. I've made notes to take along to the recommended bike shop. We'll be buying new.

But why buy a mountain bike, it's not fit for the purposes you describe?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Information overload!!!!

One thing people are overlooking: it's for a 15 year old boy so he'll want to look cool. Hybrid bikes are for commuters not teenagers, get him the best Scott Aspect you can find for a monkey and he'll look the nuts in front of his mates, IMHO they're the best looking hartail in that price range :thumbsup:

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But why buy a mountain bike, it's not fit for the purposes you describe?

Always value your advice.

We'll go to the bike shop open-minded about mountain bikes or hybrids. We'll mention the likely terrain and use.

My only bike is a Boardman hybrid, bought new, which I enjoy using and it weighs like a feather.

The disadvantages of a MTB's chunky tyres and heavy weight will be taken into account.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If not going off-road why a mountain bike ?

See post #52.

It's for a 15 year old lad. It isn't about where he will ride it or won't ride it - it is all about where it looks it could be ridden, if he wanted to. Same reason people buy Land Rovers and other 4x4s.

15 year old lads want mountain bikes because that is what 15 year old lads ride, regardless of where they are riding. Get him the coolest looking mountain bike you can for £500 and you will be the best dad in the world. None of the other stuff matters.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Information overload!!!!

One thing people are overlooking: it's for a 15 year old boy so he'll want to look cool. Hybrid bikes are for commuters not teenagers, get him the best Scott Aspect you can find for a monkey and he'll look the nuts in front of his mates, IMHO they're the best looking hartail in that price range :thumbsup:

Surely the best thing for a teenager to learn is that being cool isn't cool?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If not going off-road why a mountain bike ?

See my answer above, he's a 15 year old boy not a lycra clad riding enthusiast who pretends he's Chris Froome on Sunday mornings, teenagers ride mountain bikes.
If his friends all ride mountain bikes and he turns up with a road bike because he's technically not going off road then you might as well buy him a briefcase, some flares, ankle clips and milk bottle bifocals to complete the look!

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
See post #52.

It's for a 15 year old lad. It isn't about where he will ride it or won't ride it - it is all about where it looks it could be ridden, if he wanted to. Same reason people buy Land Rovers and other 4x4s.

15 year old lads want mountain bikes because that is what 15 year old lads ride, regardless of where they are riding. Get him the coolest looking mountain bike you can for £500 and you will be the best dad in the world. None of the other stuff matters.

Bit sweeping, especially towards Farmers and others who will do some off road driving

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
See my answer above, he's a 15 year old boy not a lycra clad riding enthusiast who pretends he's Chris Froome on Sunday mornings, teenagers ride mountain bikes.
If his friends all ride mountain bikes and he turns up with a road bike because he's technically not going off road then you might as well buy him a briefcase, some flares, ankle clips and milk bottle bifocals to complete the look!

Incredibly you do not need to wear lycra or be 'a suit' to ride a bike that is not a mountain bike. There is nothing 'technically' about whether he is going off road or not, he either is or isn't.
Would have been sufficient to say his mates ride mountain bikes so he wants one, the sarcasm was slightly OTT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here