Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Gas and electricity suppliers

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Thanks for the info so far guys, very helpful. My first question, should I stick to the big 6 has been answered, at least some of the smaller companies are fine.

But Im still interested in whether a dual deal is better or is it cheaper to have separate deals.

Only one person has said separate is better, what do others think?

You could hunt around seeking best prices separately for Gas & Elect
I've switched about 6 times in the last 10 years and always gone dual fuel which has always included a duel-fuel discount.
Never looked to see if individual pricing would better this.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Im still interested in whether a dual deal is better or is it cheaper to have separate deals.

Only one person has said separate is better, what do others think?

Try joining the Cheap Energy Club. It's free, and by far the best comparison site in my opinion. It is easy to compare all the suppliers (including rating them for service), and you can compare dual fuel or separate suppliers. You could also get cashback if you switch.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Utilita for me,great customer service,but we have Economy 7 so haven't tried OVO.Big six waste of space.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Thread started in June. November is here and my Sainsburys dual fuel is up up for renewal now. Any helpful up to date recommendations? Happy to go greener, but not at the expense of cost! Happy to pay a little more for customer service/good reviews though. Doing my own research this afternoon, but any shortcuts appreciated :)

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I'm with Bulb and have been very happy with them. They do a scheme where if you refer a friend you both get £50 if the person who is joining signs up using their code.

I actually work in the industry, so happy to answer any technical questions via PM. My advice is to shop around.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I just go with the cheapest. I'm not sure what else there is to it. Its the same gas or electricity that comes through the pipe whoever you're with. The billing is about reading the meters and paying the bills - not sure why you really need a high level of customer service. If they go bust (as Iresa did year), you are protected and moved to another supplier.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I’ve signed up to Switchcraft. They do all the hard work. Notify me to switch to a better price when one comes up now signed up to Pure Planet, and saving over £350 per year.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've used Flow, First Utility and now Tonik in recent years and all have been very good. Quite like Tonik at the moment because, as well as being among the cheapest for our needs, they're moral enough to pay interest if the balance is in credit. In fact, I'd rather we were further in credit as it's a better deal than you'd get with any bank account right now!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A word of warning about Eco Save, they’ve phoned me a couple of times pretending to be my present provider, wanting me to ‘confirm ‘ my account number. First time,I nearly fell for it, but, luckily I didn’t have the information to hand, and when they phoned back, I had checked them out with my provider, who had put a password on my account. It was quite enjoyable asking them to confirm my password, and hearing the bloke on the other end of line trying to bullshit his way out of it.
I checked them out on the internet later, not a very trustworthy company to say the least.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve been with Green. for about 15 months, supplying dual energy, paying them £98 a month by DD.

I’m aware of the very recent wholesale and retail price rises across the industry, but I was perplexed to get an email from Green. notifying me of a price rise to £173 a month! I’m not in any arrears, the £98 covered our usage.

Because they triggered this, I didn’t want to give them a chance to keep my business with a phone chat. So I shopped around on CAB, switchwithwhich and MSE websites, in the end setting up a switch to Igloo Energy at £113 a month. With no early penalties should I move again.

Job done, well worth shopping around.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Ovo here and have been for a few years,good customer service and what has not been said here how you use energy you can have a low cost supplier but if your half doesn't know what the off switch is for it's pointless.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I was with Eon then switched to GB Energy purely because of price and saved quite a bit. They went bust and I was moved to Octopus.

Now signed up with Save My Bills, the bods that were on Dragon's Den, and they moved me to People's energy last July. Just had the smart meters fitted. SMB will review my deal in July. Prior to that I used to use the comparison websites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here