Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Does Donald deserve some credit for getting Kim to the table ?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I don't see the harm in Trump agreeing to meet Kim. I mean, opening dialog has never been a bad thing has it? In fact, I do wonder what the point of others flatly refusing to do so has ever achieved. And that's as much credit as I'm giving either of them.

Call me when something actually happens. Nothing worthwhile has happened here whatsoever, except we get to see Fat Kim outside his own country for a change. Meh. Meanwhile, Trump remains a total moron setting the world back 2 decades (you don't have to be and idiot to believe that, by the way), and Kim presides over a starving, failing land where people disappear to gulags. All this rock star treatment for the pair of them makes me sick.
But the point is that something did happen - the gradual legitimisation of Kim's regime. Kim gets what he wanted all along.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I just hope that he doesn't live up to the psychopathic, red button pressing, unstable, lunatic narrative that people like to project onto him. So he deserves some credit, for now, for not starting a nuclear holocaust and being perfectly reasonable. In fact, he was almost human..

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The world is now further away from nuclear apocalypse than it was a few months ago

Both leaders (and the other countries that helped facilitate this) deserve credit.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The world is now further away from nuclear apocalypse than it was a few months ago

Both leaders (and the other countries that helped facilitate this) deserve credit.

Nuclear Apocalypse is taking it a bit far, it would have been one of the shortest and most one-sided wars ever!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Maybe if he's got a spare 5 minutes he could sort out Brexit for us.

Simples. He would leave with no deal. We could all do that in 5 minutes.

He doesn't actually get anything done. Obamacare was going on day 1, but he looks at it for a while, says "nobody knew it could be so complicated". He can rip up deals, walk away from deals, refuse to do deals ... but to sit down and work through something with a resolution at the end of it? Nah, not seen any sign of that yet.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I don't agree with this, Obama made dialogue happen with Cuba and Iran, and agreements with both. What Trump is demonstrating is that talking is always better than not, and when both sides share a common end-goal then dialogue is likely to be positive.

I will credit Trump with this, but not make it out that somehow his way of working has led to this. This has worked because in his narcissistic ways he wants this kind of thing as a legacy, just like destroying the agreement with Iran is a way of destroying Obama's legacy. Its all very self-centred, but in the NK case hopefully it will benefit the wider world.

You not seen the Denis Rodman interview on CNN then .

Awkward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Is that "a few months ago" when Trump was publicly calling him "little rocket man" and threatening North Korea with "fire and fury."

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Is it the one where he told Obama on numerous occasions that Kim wanted talks but it fell on deaf ears?

Obama basically spent 8 years sitting on his hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep he goes through this.

I saw a documentary where it said that Chairman Mao sent a letter I think to President Lyndon Johnson at the time, saying that capitalism wasn't an enemy of China and he was happy to work with the US. He either didn't get the letter, or he ignored it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Is that "a few months ago" when Trump was publicly calling him "little rocket man" and threatening North Korea with "fire and fury."

Maybe that is exactly why it worked ? Seems that Trump will get no credit from anyone no matter what he does, he may as well have declared war on North Korea and dropped a few hundred bombs just to show Kim who is in charge. Seems most people think it is a complete waste of time trying to end a 70 year war. Nah let's just carry on the hatred

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Maybe that is exactly why it worked ? Seems that Trump will get no credit from anyone no matter what he does, he may as well have declared war on North Korea and dropped a few hundred bombs just to show Kim who is in charge. Seems most people think it is a complete waste of time trying to end a 70 year war. Nah let's just carry on the hatred

This meeting was pretty easy - North Korea has wanted to sit down with the US for ages, and Trump wants some foreign policy success as a legacy - every US president does, and yes I credit him for doing that. I don't think his unique diplomatic style made any difference in this case though. Arguably almost ruined it if it wasn't for Kim's determination to have the meeting.

If Trump wants credit for not dropping lots of nuclear bombs, OK :shrug: thats quite a low bar to clear

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
All of those things are in most part inherited from the previous governments, as someone who lives here I can tell you that the economy has been growing steady for many years even before Obama, house prices are soaring, which creates jobs....in 18 months time when it all comes crashing back down again as these things do every 10-15 years, he will distance himself from it all, and as others have done in the past, he will blame the previous administration for losing control of the budget.

It is irrelevant who is President, the economic culture of all countries is a long drawn out process that does not dramatically turn around in 18 months.

You very nicely side stepped any of the platforms that he stood for during his campaign, the wall and Mexico paying for it, Hilary going to jail, banning other cultures from entering and possibly the biggest promise to repeal Obamarcare...not one of those is even close to fruition, and never will.

He is cashing in on things he had no control over from day one, the promises he made and has not delivered on is what this country are judging him on, so far the opinion here is just, meh.

Someone living in Cali hating Trump? Well I never.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I don’t agree with his stance on Iran, but it’s probably just "banter" between them as a build up to a big meeting where everyone comes out happy. Iran is the next test and we may see a pattern.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here