Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Does Donald deserve some credit for getting Kim to the table ?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Kim has got his photo with the US President, flags and handshakes, all the things he wanted to "legitimise" him in the circle of World leaders. Look, he's not a recluse anymore, cut off from the World, instead he has met with South Korea, and America. How can China continue to impose sanctions against this supposedly evil and dangerous man when he's having meetings with World leaders.

It helps Kim's standing in the World, it has done him serious favours in that respect, and if that makes him less dangerous and someone who comes to the table for meaningful discussions, then that IS a good thing.

But for my money it looks like sanctions were biting and he needed to do something like this to get himself back on a bit of an even keel.

The irony with Americans is they generally don't care about World politics, and how they are viewed, they are very insular, and want all things to lead back to a benefit for America, and while his deranged supporters are lapping this up, I don't see that it has done anything for America whatsoever. Whereas the fall-out at the G7 summit could do some very real harm. But to Donald it was bound to play out like this, as he doesn't have the intelligence, patience or possibly the desire, to work through detailed agreements and strategies. So, it's much easier to fail to agree to anything at a meaningful G7 Summit, then claim a success from a handshake, photo opportunity and a vacuous "agreement" with North Korea, where nothing of any substance was ever going to be discussed. That's his comfort zone.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Trump is trying, the best way he knows, to make peace. He deserves credit for that.

The old way of cutting off countries who don't conform to our values should be seriously rethought.

We can win hearts and minds of our foes with cautious friendship. Trump on the right and Jo cox on the left understand/understood that we have more in common than divides us.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Does Donald deserve some credit for getting Kim to the table ?

What do we all think about it ?

Not really. This is simply giving Kim exactly what he's wanted for years. To be treated as a big player and an equal by the United States. Essentially North Korea has been a toddler screaming for attention and Trump just put it on the West End stage.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When asked whether he has a recording of his conversation with Mr Kim, Mr Trump says there are probably some notes, but he's not sure if it was recorded.

But he says that's OK 'because I have one of the greatest memories of all time'

The other day he forgot that he hadn't yet read Kim's letter......

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not really. Unfortunately it somewhat normalises the position of the North Korean Leader.

In reality I'd imagine it's quite easy for a President or Prime Minister to arrange a meeting with a tyrant because for one they like the publicity. Particularly this one....

The reason it hasn't happened recently is more about the wouldn't rather than the couldn't.

Him and family have overseen a regime that not only imprisons political prisoners in labour camps, it extends the punishment to their family.

A couple of years ago I read the story of a young man, who managed to escape from the fields into South Korea. It was his brother who was arrested for some misdeamour, but his whole family had been imprisoned. His mother was pregnant with him, so he was born in prison. He knew no other life.
The guards encouraged prisoners to spy on each other, so he got a job out in the fields, by reporting his own mother.
He came to a realisation he was never going to get his freedom, so escaped.
The story was then about how he struggled with freedom, once he got asylum. He had a job, money & somewhere to live, but had no idea how to handle it.
It was a fascinating but horrific read, at the same time.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
When asked whether he has a recording of his conversation with Mr Kim, Mr Trump says there are probably some notes, but he's not sure if it was recorded.

But he says that's OK 'because I have one of the greatest memories of all time'

The other day he forgot that he hadn't yet read Kim's letter......

... and the words to God Bless America at the event he organised to demonstrate patriotism.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Trump and one of his advisors called the Canadian PM very dishonest and weak and then an advisor said there is a special place in hell for him the other day.

But keep on trying to legitimise and give credit to Trump and his team. Whatever.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You're a complete idiot if you believe anyone in power does stuff for the good of the people.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't see the harm in Trump agreeing to meet Kim. I mean, opening dialog has never been a bad thing has it? In fact, I do wonder what the point of others flatly refusing to do so has ever achieved. And that's as much credit as I'm giving either of them.

Call me when something actually happens. Nothing worthwhile has happened here whatsoever, except we get to see Fat Kim outside his own country for a change. Meh. Meanwhile, Trump remains a total moron setting the world back 2 decades (you don't have to be and idiot to believe that, by the way), and Kim presides over a starving, failing land where people disappear to gulags. All this rock star treatment for the pair of them makes me sick.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So as Fox News called it the meeting of "the two Dictators" has taken place and in the space of an hour or so behind closed doors they come up with in the words of Presedent Trump a "pretty comprehensive agreement"
Maybe if he's got a spare 5 minutes he could sort out Brexit for us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
probably will have overstated the "comprehensive". but i think thats partial why he's got this far, previous presidents wouldn't talk until this and that was promised. Trump seems to focus on a few things, get on with them, i suppose that is one benefit from business background.
What? What has he achieved?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
At least Donald consulted the US and South Korean military before declaring and end to military manouevres.

Oh.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Is he? I suspect he's simply trying to make himself look good.

I think so, he believes in himself (too much most of the time) he wants to be known in history for achieving great things like peace and mending the economy. So yes he wants to look good but he also doesn't care if he upsets people.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Anything that gives folk security is good. But let's not forget that many people are suffering as a result of a regime that has its own insular agenda and sees opposition as expendable whilst ruthlessly putting them down.

Then there's North Korea.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think so, he believes in himself (too much most of the time) he wants to be known in history for achieving great things like peace and mending the economy.
But he doesn't mind if he destroys peace in an area where he can't take the credit (eg, the middle-east) if he can pretend he's done something elsewhere, which he can attempt to take credit for. It's not peace he wants, it's credit.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Think most of the credit has to go to the North and South Korean governments. They seem to have been trying the hardest.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
But he doesn't mind if he destroys peace in an area where he can't take the credit (eg, the middle-east) if he can pretend he's done something elsewhere, which he can attempt to take credit for. It's not peace he wants, it's credit.

The middle east is an unstable place, yes Trump hasn't helped recently. I am not sure what it will take to sort out the middle east but I bet Trump thinks he is doing the right thing.

I agree he wants his place in the history books.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
In one week Trump manages to completely fall out with 6 of his greatest allies, and cuddle up with a despot that slaughters his own family and wider population

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here