Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Are you saying he was sacked because they were succeeding? Perhaps 4th wasn't good enough for the team they had?

I'm not saying anything. Just observing really, do remember thinking it was a bit odd to give him the boot at the time. They stuck with him post relegation, then gave him three months during which he stayed towards the top of the league. Then fired him and brought in Gordon Strachan, they did not improve!

For some reason I thought they both did it. So he's worse than I thought he was.

I think in reality Southgate did an average job. Boro finished 12th and 13th in the Prem, then relegated under him. That is Boro's history in the last twenty years in a nutshell, bouncing between the top two divisions.

Popular opinion seems to be that Southgate failed badly at Boro, I do not think that is the case.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think in reality Southgate did an average job. Boro finished 12th and 13th in the Prem, then relegated under him. That is Boro's history in the last twenty years in a nutshell, bouncing between the top two divisions.

Popular opinion seems to be that Southgate failed badly at Boro, I do not think that is the case.
Fair enough. Not a good enough CV for the England job.

Something I obviously hold against the FA, not Southgate.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Fair enough. Not a good enough CV for the England job.

Something I obviously hold against the FA, not Southgate.

International and club football is so different that I don't think that it's a completely valid criticism. International teams spend so little time with each and their coaches that I'm much more in favour of having someone like Southgate who has been with a lot of the players for a lot longer time due to his role in the youth set up and coaching previously.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
For me the sweep stake should which one out of the blunder trio of Phil Jones, John Stones or Harry McGuire will feck up in our first knock out game causing our exit?

Southgate went up one rung on my expectation ladder for having the balls to drop Hart, fair play. For those interested he is now on rung number one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
International and club football is so different that I don't think that it's a completely valid criticism. International teams spend so little time with each and their coaches that I'm much more in favour of having someone like Southgate who has been with a lot of the players for a lot longer time due to his role in the youth set up and coaching previously.
There are differences due to the amount of time managers get to spend with the players, and the fact that they're limited by player choice in a different way (they have a lot of talent to select from, but they can't choose from the whole world to get players to fit their preferred style), but what the manager does need is a good tactical understanding of what he can get out of his players, and also what the opposition will do.

There are managers with those skills, and there's been no evidence that Southgate is one of them. I'm not sure how much time he's spent with the current squad at under 21 level, but I doubt it's that much, and not enough to justify his selection ahead of a decent manager.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Southgate went up one rung on my expectation ladder for having the balls to drop Hart, fair play. For those interested he is now on rung number one.
Generous. Hart was so bad the decision was practically taken out of Southgate's hands.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In fairness if you’re eg white male and proud to be English, any flag waving is seen as racist. We are merely a tribe amongst tribes these days, and increasingly a minority. Unless of course we do well, in which case everyone wants to be a part of and forgets how prejudice they were pre tournament :)

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
There are differences due to the amount of time managers get to spend with the players, and the fact that they're limited by player choice in a different way (they have a lot of talent to select from, but they can't choose from the whole world to get players to fit their preferred style), but what the manager does need is a good tactical understanding of what he can get out of his players, and also what the opposition will do.

There are managers with those skills, and there's been no evidence that Southgate is one of them. I'm not sure how much time he's spent with the current squad at under 21 level, but I doubt it's that much, and not enough to justify his selection ahead of a decent manager.

He did a decent job at under-21 and of course there is a possibility that he has improved since his Boro days (which as already mentioned on this thread aren't as bad as popular opinion seems to think).

Capello, Sven, Roy have all had pretty fantastic club careers but made nothing of the England job, so i can see why the FA switched it up a bit.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Gareth Southgate is a lovely honest lad from Crawley.

Naturally he goes back to a being a useless Palace prick if we fail miserably.
And also a plastic **** who was born in Sussex but supported Man U as a boy.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Indeed. And let's face it we'd tried everything else: successful club managers, long-serving club managers, experienced managers, foreign managers and promoting the assistant manager. A relative youngster who hadn't been a success at club level? Yeah, why not. Couldn't be any worse could it?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He did a decent job at under-21 and of course there is a possibility that he has improved since his Boro days (which as already mentioned on this thread aren't as bad as popular opinion seems to think).

Capello, Sven, Roy have all had pretty fantastic club careers but made nothing of the England job, so i can see why the FA switched it up a bit.

The first two were in it for the money and dear old Woy was out of his depth.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Only seen one car flag so far. Seen more of those ridiculous, outsized and ancient Red Noses on front grills, than England memorabilia.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The point still stands that it’s certainly worth looking away from the same old big club names

I agree actually, not least because the two big foreign mercenaries proved to be disappointing at best, and arguably complete and utter rubbish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here