Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The WC - I think I prefer it like this

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The WC is just 3 days away and there are no England flags on cars, expectations are about realistic, the public has turned on The Sun after they tried to make something out of a tattoo, and the England players themselves aren't doing anything controversial. Furthermore, that nice Sussex fella is threatening to make the England team play better than he sum of it's parts. I'm even becoming convinced that concerns surrounding England fans being targeted by Russian (and other) hoolies (or indeed the other way round) are actually going to prove to be overplayed.

All in all, this WC might surprise us in a good way. I know the Russians bribed enough people to have it awarded to them, BUT at least Russia is a proper football nation. The irony is that this is the worst Russia/Soviet team in living memory. By contrast, I'm almost dreading Qatar.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I thought this was going to be a thread about lavatories but yes, I'm pleased at the absence of faux and showey patriotism. Perhaps we've had enough of it lately.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
No flags ...............yet , however if we start doing well , the feel good factor will avalanche--- at least I hope it will !, every couple of years a bit of red n white is ok
seriously though I hope now with the prima donna's gone ---( i class Rooney as the last of the money grabbing shits ) that we can just concentrate on playing football, well a man can dream

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I hear that, the noise (band), which follows the England team during their matches, are performing at the Siberian deep mining concert hall.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The WC is just 3 days away and there are no England flags on cars, expectations are about realistic, the public has turned on The Sun after they tried to make something out of a tattoo, and the England players themselves aren't doing anything controversial. Furthermore, that nice Sussex fella is threatening to make the England team play better than he sum of it's parts. I'm even becoming convinced that concerns surrounding England fans being targeted by Russian (and other) hoolies (or indeed the other way round) are actually going to prove to be overplayed.

All in all, this WC might surprise us in a good way. I know the Russians bribed enough people to have it awarded to them, BUT at least Russia is a proper football nation. The irony is that this is the worst Russia/Soviet team in living memory. By contrast, I'm almost dreading Qatar.

I started thinking along similar lines over the weekend while driving here and there; that there are fewer plastic flags, that this Southgate fellow seems a very nice chap and also very good at his job, that the hoolie threat has been overstated and that this world cup month is going to be absolutely ruddy marvellous.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
By contrast, I'm almost dreading Qatar.

This is the last World Cup that will be played in a proper football country (yeah, I know the Russians bribed everyone but still) and has 32 teams. Remember the 1990 Leyland DAF cup with it's 3 team groups? Of course you don't but that's the format FIFA have decided to copy for its 48 team dogs breakfast tournament in 2026.

Enjoy this one because it's downhill from here on in.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
According to the idiots of Facebook there are no England flags on cars as they’ve been banned because they offend immigrants and police are stopping cars with them and telling the driver to remove them. 1 share equals 1 prayer for little baby Jesus who died for our right to fly the flag.

Joking aside I’m personally more interested in how the Albion players going perform than I am in England’s chances. When England got knocked out of Euro 2016 I’d managed to get last minute tickets to see Bill Bailey perform instead of sitting at home watching the match, such is my apathy towards our national team. 10 years ago I’d consider all England games as must watch now I’m not really bothered and can take it or leave it. I’m not saying I won’t be delighted should we win something but I don’t think my euphoria will top anything I’ve felt watching Brighton over the last few seasons.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I ordered a retro shirt and a flag after the Costa Rica game last week, I dont think I have had a flag since 2004. Im now at the age where I couldnt care what people think and will be getting well into the World Cup Spirit.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I ordered a retro shirt and a flag after the Costa Rica game last week, I dont think I have had a flag since 2004. Im now at the age where I couldnt care what people think and will be getting well into the World Cup Spirit.

I did the same a few months ago.. Also too old to give a shit what people think.. Also, living in Germany, it has to be done!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
It certainly feels different this tournament, most people I've spoken to thinks we'll be knocked out in either the last 16 or not make it out of the group!

Apart from doing a sweepstake in the office you wouldn't know it was starting in 3 days time.
Strange really as I think the team we've got is better than the last 3 or 4 tournaments so I'm fully expecting us to reach the last 8, before inevitably being knocked out by the Germans on penalties.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It certainly feels different this tournament, most people I've spoken to thinks we'll be knocked out in either the last 16 or not make it out of the group!

Apart from doing a sweepstake in the office you wouldn't know it was starting in 3 days time.
Strange really as I think the team we've got is better than the last 3 or 4 tournaments so I'm fully expecting us to reach the last 8, before inevitably being knocked out by the Germans on penalties.

Most people you know think we will get knocked out in the last 16, I assume these people have no idea who are in Englands Group or who we are likely to get in the last 16. Crikey.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Most people you know think we will get knocked out in the last 16, I assume these people have no idea who are in Englands Group or who we are likely to get in the last 16. Crikey.

That's the level of expectancy that I'm hearing, let's hope they're wrong eh!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
According to the idiots of Facebook there are no England flags on cars as they’ve been banned because they offend immigrants and police are stopping cars with them and telling the driver to remove them. 1 share equals 1 prayer for little baby Jesus who died for our right to fly the flag.

I thought people weren't putting flags up in case they were associated with the free Tommy Robinson campaign

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here