Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The WC - I think I prefer it like this

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He did a decent job at under-21
We qualified for the 2015 UEFA Euro under 21s, and finished last in our group of 4. And we won the Toulon tournament.

and of course there is a possibility that he has improved since his Boro days
What's the evidence he's improved?
(which as already mentioned on this thread aren't as bad as popular opinion seems to think).
What? While other managers win top leagues and cups etc etc, he didn't achieve anything of note. Indeed he went on to get Middlesbrough relegated.

Capello, Sven, Roy have all had pretty fantastic club careers but made nothing of the England job, so i can see why the FA switched it up a bit.
Sven did ok (3 quarter-finals in a row), but not good enough, so they switched it up a bit by employing the wolly with the brolly. We played the worst football in living memory with Schteve, and failed to even qualify for Euro 2008.

Capello had been there and done it. We got knocked out by an excellent German side, largely thanks to poor refereeing that saw our equaliser not given. At least with Capello we had a chance of playing well.

The England job is one many would love, and there's no excuse for employing someone who's never done anything of note in football.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
We qualified for the 2015 UEFA Euro under 21s, and finished last in our group of 4. And we won the Toulon tournament.

What's the evidence he's improved?
What? While other managers win top leagues and cups etc etc, he didn't achieve anything of note. Indeed he went on to get Middlesbrough relegated.

Sven did ok (3 quarter-finals in a row), but not good enough, so they switched it up a bit by employing the wolly with the brolly. We played the worst football in living memory with Schteve, and failed to even qualify for Euro 2008.

Capello had been there and done it. We got knocked out by an excellent German side, largely thanks to poor refereeing that saw our equaliser not given. At least with Capello we had a chance of playing well.

The England job is one many would love, and there's no excuse for employing someone who's never done anything of note in football.

Well we shall see. Pleased that the FA went ‘in house’ so to speak and really think it will pay dividends.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Question for Triggaaar

Can you think of any other nations competing in the tournament, who have appointed a manager, either from their youth set up or with a less than stellar managerial record in club football?

The answer surely is, virtually all of them. Including, Brazil, Spain, Belgium, Germany.

Southgate’s pedigree stacks up with that of the competition in this tournament.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Question for Triggaaar

Can you think of any other nations competing in the tournament, who have appointed a manager, either from their youth set up or with a less than stellar managerial record in club football?

The answer surely is, virtually all of them. Including, Brazil, Spain, Belgium, Germany.
Brazil's manager has been a manager for nearly 30 years. Germany's manager was assistant when they got the the 2006 semi-final, and he was simply kept on when Klinsman left, and he got to the final of Euro 2008. Had Southgate helped us get to the semi final of the last WC, I'd have less concern. Spain's manager won the U19 and U21 UEFA championships, and managed Porto before being given the Spain job. Martinez has had a more successful managerial career than Southgate too.

Southgate’s pedigree stacks up with that of the competition in this tournament.
I don't think it does.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It’s certainly building here in Lyme, and I think the lack of expectations is giving way for anticipation of what we might achieve with a fair wind. I am Getting plenty stopping me on the way to get my papers in the morning ‘Hey Crodo, looking forward to the World Cup?’ and ‘Morning Crod, who’s going to win the World Cup?’. Certainly get the feeling there is a momentum starting to build behind England.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It’s certainly building here in Lyme, and I think the lack of expectations is giving way for anticipation of what we might achieve with a fair wind. I am Getting plenty stopping me on the way to get my papers in the morning ‘Hey Crodo, looking forward to the World Cup?’ and ‘Morning Crod, who’s going to win the World Cup?’. Certainly get the feeling there is a momentum starting to build behind England.

Any special promotions announced by your local yet? I always look forward to those.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In fairness if you’re eg white male and proud to be English, any flag waving is seen as racist. We are merely a tribe amongst tribes these days, and increasingly a minority. Unless of course we do well, in which case everyone wants to be a part of and forgets how prejudice they were pre tournament :)

Curious. I'm white and male and proud to be English, and feel like I'm part of the majority. But there again I don't have a working class chip on my shoulder. :)

el punal

I hear that, the noise (band), which follows the England team during their matches, are performing at the Siberian deep mining concert hall.

Please, please, please let them stay there! I sometimes have to turn the sound off on the telly when they strike up their turgid dirge of so called musical football hits. Why can’t they just f*** off completely and let us enjoy (if possible, with England playing) a proper crowd atmosphere. :rant:

el punal

No flags ...............yet , however if we start doing well , the feel good factor will avalanche--- at least I hope it will !, every couple of years a bit of red n white is ok
seriously though I hope now with the prima donna's gone ---( i class Rooney as the last of the money grabbing shits ) that we can just concentrate on playing football, well a man can dream

No flags . . . yet? When they do appear can we please ensure that they are bona fide Cross of Saint George efforts - you know, the red cross on on a white background. Not ones with Carlsberg, or the Sun, or whatever trademark logo stuck on. And not ones with England written across the horizontal part of the cross - we know it’s the England flag and so does the rest of the world. And please, not a Cross of Saint George flag with lions rampant (that’s standing up) in each corner - we’re not Scottish!

Finally, a Cross of Saint George flag depicting your club badge or name is fine, it shows your identity and support.

There, I’ve done my holier than thou bit, I’ll now pour myself a beer. :drink:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Curious. I'm white and male and proud to be English, and feel like I'm part of the majority. But there again I don't have a working class chip on my shoulder. :)
Chips ARE working class my dear chap...it’s fries don’t you know :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here