View Poll Results: Who Will Win The World Cup?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brazil

    38 19.39%
  • Germany

    69 35.20%
  • Argentina

    10 5.10%
  • Uruguay

    0 0%
  • England

    15 7.65%
  • France

    28 14.29%
  • Spain

    20 10.20%
  • Other Please State

    16 8.16%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 79
  1. #21
    Members
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sarisbury Green, Southampton
    Posts
    3,560


    0 Not allowed!
    Spain. Best keeper and defence in the tournament but also have a strong midfield and attack.

    I'm surprised how many are backing Germany, I don't think they'll do as well as expected. They have got some issues in their side at the moment.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #22
      Members Herr Tubthumper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      The Fatherland
      Posts
      43,732


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Farehamseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I’m surprised how many are backing Germany, I don't think they'll do as well as expected. They have got some issues in their side at the moment.
      What issues are these? Imho they’re lacking a Klose type striker and Neuer is an unknown at the moment, any more issues than these?
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
    • #23
      I've asked for soup Mellotron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      23,522


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      What issues are these? Imho they’re lacking a Klose type striker and Neuer is an unknown at the moment, any more issues than these?
      I KNOW I KNOW friendlies mean nothing etc but

      Austria 2 -1 Germany
      Germany 2 - 1 Saudi Arabia

      doesn't fill you with confidence does it?
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
    • #24
      Members Simster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Surrey
      Posts
      46,834


      0 Not allowed!
      Brazil and Spain are overflowing with quality in every position. Germany less so, but they ALWAYS get it right for the big tournaments. It'll be one of them I think. I'll go for Brazil.

      Belgium - I've tipped them as a value bet. They are certainly a decent side and obviously we know all about them seeing as half their squad play here. The question is whether or not they come together as a winning unit. Belgium is no stranger to the latter stages of tournaments, so I fancy them to go deep.

      France are criminally overrated. They drew 0-0 at home to Luxembourg recently, and last week drew 1-1 at home to the USA. We've seen good French sides turn up at the WC before and stink the place out. I reckon it'll happen here too.

      Argentina - they have a front line that would walk into most teams in the world. They've actually left out Serie A top scorer Icardi, which just about says it all. That said, they are absolutely gash in both defence and midfield, which is why they haven't got a chance.

      England - a bit of a dark horse. We're nowhere near the best 3 teams, but with a fair wind and a bit of luck we might surprise a few. 16/1 seems fair value to me, I actually think we're better than that.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.
    • #25
      Members Simster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Surrey
      Posts
      46,834


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I KNOW I KNOW friendlies mean nothing etc but

      Austria 2 -1 Germany
      Germany 2 - 1 Saudi Arabia

      doesn't fill you with confidence does it?
      *sigh* Some people NEVER learn do they?

      Germany 1–0 Chile
      Germany 0–0 Poland
      Germany 2–2 Cameroon

      These were 3 friendly results before the 2014 World Cup was played. How did that work out for them? Are you seriously looking at 2 friendly results before deciding to write them off again?

      They mean NOTHING.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.
    • #26
      I've asked for soup Mellotron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      23,522


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Brazil and Spain are overflowing with quality in every position. Germany less so, but they ALWAYS get it right for the big tournaments. It'll be one of them I think. I'll go for Brazil.

      Belgium - I've tipped them as a value bet. They are certainly a decent side and obviously we know all about them seeing as half their squad play here. The question is whether or not they come together as a winning unit. Belgium is no stranger to the latter stages of tournaments, so I fancy them to go deep.
      Spain overflowing with quality upfront are they? Who's that then? Certainly not Diego Costa or Alvaro Morata...?

      Also as said before, no chance of Belgium winning it. They are us in the 00s. Individual talent but not much sign of a great cohesive side, not a single great result at a tournament that I can think of from this generation? Also WAY overrated in England due to their players mostly playing in the Prem.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
    • #27

      0 Not allowed!
      I voted England but think Belgium have a good chance. England, France and Spain are previous first time winners but not sure that makes a lot of difference, especially England.
      Belgium have great players, possibly the best goalie and a good manager. People may slag off Martinez but he won the FA cup with Wigan ifs.
    • #28
      I've asked for soup Mellotron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      23,522


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      *sigh* Some people NEVER learn do they?

      Germany 1–0 Chile
      Germany 0–0 Poland
      Germany 2–2 Cameroon

      These were 3 friendly results before the 2014 World Cup was played. How did that work out for them? Are you seriously looking at 2 friendly results before deciding to write them off again?

      They mean NOTHING.
      I'm CLEARLY not writing them off - please point me to where I have done so. But more saying it's not a cause to get excited about them is it? Was responding to a post where someone seemed to believe they had no issues whatsoever - i.e. they are 100% perfect.

      Also, losing to Austria and squeaking by Saudi Arabia is a comfortably worse set of results than what you've put above. Chile are a very, very good side, Poland are half decent (8th in FIFA), Cameroon meh fair enough.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
    • #29

      0 Not allowed!
      I like Belgium and Colombia, certainly for value - think we could see senor Izquierdo have a decent run. Uruguay have an easy group and could get to the semis.
      "There's an African proverb that has stuck with me...if you think you're too small to make a difference, then you've never spent a night with a mosquito"
    • #30
      Members Simster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Surrey
      Posts
      46,834


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Spain overflowing with quality upfront are they? Who's that then? Certainly not Diego Costa or Alvaro Morata...?

      Also as said before, no chance of Belgium winning it. They are us in the 00s. Individual talent but not much sign of a great cohesive side, not a single great result at a tournament that I can think of from this generation? Also WAY overrated in England due to their players mostly playing in the Prem.
      Wait, you don't think Diego Costa is quality? And what has Morata got to do with it, he's not even in the squad.

      Belgium certainly do have a chance IMO, although I agree with your point that they are probably overrated because of their exposure to English fans. But seeing as you decided the Germans don't instil much confidence because of their recent friendlies, perhaps you should look at Belgium's?

      Past 7 games:

      Russia 3-3 Belgium
      Belgium 2-1 Czech
      Mexico 3-3 Belgium
      Belgium 1-0 Japan
      Belgium 4-0 Saudi
      Belgium 0-0 Portugal
      Belgium 3-0 Egypt

      Not too shabby really. Where is your evidence that there is "not much sign of a great cohesive side"?


      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm CLEARLY not writing them off - please point me to where I have done so. But more saying it's not a cause to get excited about them is it? Was responding to a post where someone seemed to believe they had no issues whatsoever - i.e. they are 100% perfect.

      Also, losing to Austria and squeaking by Saudi Arabia is a comfortably worse set of results than what you've put above. Chile are a very, very good side, Poland are half decent (8th in FIFA), Cameroon meh fair enough.
      Fair enough, you're not writing off Germany. But you are questioning their chances based on two irrelevant friendlies, otherwise you wouldn't have posted the results.

      Oh and four years ago, Poland were gash. They were nowhere near 8th, that's for sure.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •