[Football] Who Will Win The World Cup?

Who Will Win The World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Spain. Best keeper and defence in the tournament but also have a strong midfield and attack.

I'm surprised how many are backing Germany, I don't think they'll do as well as expected. They have got some issues in their side at the moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m surprised how many are backing Germany, I don't think they'll do as well as expected. They have got some issues in their side at the moment.

What issues are these? Imho they’re lacking a Klose type striker and Neuer is an unknown at the moment, any more issues than these?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What issues are these? Imho they’re lacking a Klose type striker and Neuer is an unknown at the moment, any more issues than these?

I KNOW I KNOW friendlies mean nothing etc but

Austria 2 -1 Germany
Germany 2 - 1 Saudi Arabia

doesn't fill you with confidence does it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brazil and Spain are overflowing with quality in every position. Germany less so, but they ALWAYS get it right for the big tournaments. It'll be one of them I think. I'll go for Brazil.

Belgium - I've tipped them as a value bet. They are certainly a decent side and obviously we know all about them seeing as half their squad play here. The question is whether or not they come together as a winning unit. Belgium is no stranger to the latter stages of tournaments, so I fancy them to go deep.

France are criminally overrated. They drew 0-0 at home to Luxembourg recently, and last week drew 1-1 at home to the USA. We've seen good French sides turn up at the WC before and stink the place out. I reckon it'll happen here too.

Argentina - they have a front line that would walk into most teams in the world. They've actually left out Serie A top scorer Icardi, which just about says it all. That said, they are absolutely gash in both defence and midfield, which is why they haven't got a chance.

England - a bit of a dark horse. We're nowhere near the best 3 teams, but with a fair wind and a bit of luck we might surprise a few. 16/1 seems fair value to me, I actually think we're better than that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Austria 2 -1 Germany

*sigh* Some people NEVER learn do they?

Germany 1–0 Chile
Germany 0–0 Poland
Germany 2–2 Cameroon

These were 3 friendly results before the 2014 World Cup was played. How did that work out for them? Are you seriously looking at 2 friendly results before deciding to write them off again?

They mean NOTHING.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Brazil and Spain are overflowing with quality in every position. Germany less so, but they ALWAYS get it right for the big tournaments. It'll be one of them I think. I'll go for Brazil.

Belgium - I've tipped them as a value bet. They are certainly a decent side and obviously we know all about them seeing as half their squad play here. The question is whether or not they come together as a winning unit. Belgium is no stranger to the latter stages of tournaments, so I fancy them to go deep.

Spain overflowing with quality upfront are they? Who's that then? Certainly not Diego Costa or Alvaro Morata...?

Also as said before, no chance of Belgium winning it. They are us in the 00s. Individual talent but not much sign of a great cohesive side, not a single great result at a tournament that I can think of from this generation? Also WAY overrated in England due to their players mostly playing in the Prem.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I voted England but think Belgium have a good chance. England, France and Spain are previous first time winners but not sure that makes a lot of difference, especially England.
Belgium have great players, possibly the best goalie and a good manager. People may slag off Martinez but he won the FA cup with Wigan ifs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
*sigh* Some people NEVER learn do they?

Germany 1–0 Chile
Germany 0–0 Poland
Germany 2–2 Cameroon

These were 3 friendly results before the 2014 World Cup was played. How did that work out for them? Are you seriously looking at 2 friendly results before deciding to write them off again?

They mean NOTHING.

I'm CLEARLY not writing them off - please point me to where I have done so. But more saying it's not a cause to get excited about them is it? Was responding to a post where someone seemed to believe they had no issues whatsoever - i.e. they are 100% perfect.

Also, losing to Austria and squeaking by Saudi Arabia is a comfortably worse set of results than what you've put above. Chile are a very, very good side, Poland are half decent (8th in FIFA), Cameroon meh fair enough.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I like Belgium and Colombia, certainly for value - think we could see senor Izquierdo have a decent run. Uruguay have an easy group and could get to the semis.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Spain overflowing with quality upfront are they? Who's that then? Certainly not Diego Costa or Alvaro Morata...?

Also as said before, no chance of Belgium winning it. They are us in the 00s. Individual talent but not much sign of a great cohesive side, not a single great result at a tournament that I can think of from this generation? Also WAY overrated in England due to their players mostly playing in the Prem.

Wait, you don't think Diego Costa is quality? :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: And what has Morata got to do with it, he's not even in the squad.

Belgium certainly do have a chance IMO, although I agree with your point that they are probably overrated because of their exposure to English fans. But seeing as you decided the Germans don't instil much confidence because of their recent friendlies, perhaps you should look at Belgium's?

Past 7 games:

Russia 3-3 Belgium
Belgium 2-1 Czech
Mexico 3-3 Belgium
Belgium 1-0 Japan
Belgium 4-0 Saudi
Belgium 0-0 Portugal
Belgium 3-0 Egypt

Not too shabby really. Where is your evidence that there is "not much sign of a great cohesive side"?

I'm CLEARLY not writing them off - please point me to where I have done so. But more saying it's not a cause to get excited about them is it? Was responding to a post where someone seemed to believe they had no issues whatsoever - i.e. they are 100% perfect.

Also, losing to Austria and squeaking by Saudi Arabia is a comfortably worse set of results than what you've put above. Chile are a very, very good side, Poland are half decent (8th in FIFA), Cameroon meh fair enough.
Fair enough, you're not writing off Germany. But you are questioning their chances based on two irrelevant friendlies, otherwise you wouldn't have posted the results.

Oh and four years ago, Poland were gash. They were nowhere near 8th, that's for sure.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
How are Belgium not on the list? They probably have the strongest team in the world right now.

Because they're managed by Roberto Martinez.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Austria 2 -1 Germany

The friendlies before the last World Cup weren’t that inspiring either

Germany 1-1 Poland
Germany 2-2 Cameroon

They also lost to Argentina in a friendly just after the tournament as well.

Neither the team nor the supporters put much emphasis on friendlies; they’re not a good barometer in my opinion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Italy for me. Very under the radar this time.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm tipping Spain.

When they've been on form recently they've been PURRING. The squad has got it all. I reckon they'll annihilate Portugal, breeze the group and not be properly tested until the Semi.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Spain

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Regrettably the Germans will win if for no other reason than it's in Europe, well more or less, and they usually do over here.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I think Werner up front will actually be one of their strengths and Kimmich is a quality player.

But apart from that, Neuer obviously hasn't played for a long time, same as Reus and Boateng is struggling for fitness. And then Hummells, Ozil and Muller have had poor seasons by their high standards. Khedira is 31 now and not as good or mobile as he was a few years ago and they lack a left back of top quality.

Obviously they're still strong and will get through the group stage but for me they're certainly behind Spain, Brazil and France. Low has a lot of faith and trust in the old guard but I feel he made a mistake not picking Sane. Looking forward to see if Goretzka gets decent game time as he is really exciting.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
People wo believe Belgium have a chance are deluded, Martinez is an awful manager who cant organise a defence.

Remember they lost Wales in the Euros last time out, A good group of players yes, but getting anywhere near close to winning the WC, NO.

For me I like the Pace of France, But I think the Winner of Germany and Brazil ( Most likely to meet in the Semi finals will win it. Im plumping for Germany with Timo Werner top scorer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here