Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Everyone talks of him as a commodity to be traded and sold on for a profit. What about the lad who signed for us in good faith believing he had a future in th Prem. League?

Surely we owe it to him to bring him here or keep trying......

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to me that Dan! Dan! won't have to do very much to improve things round these parts. His visionary first set of recommendations to the board will shirley include the following simple tap-ins:

1. Don't buy any more crap from the Eredivsie
2. Don't buy any more players with no work permit

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Why would it be for more than we paid for him? We've seen how worthless the top of the Dutch League can be, so why would anyone pay significant money for someone in the Belgian Second Division? The fact that the selling club HAS to sell, because they can't use him doesn't help us hold out for the right price.

What did we pay for him, £4m? What are you expecting us to get for him?

i have no idea what we paid for him? does anyone? i guess time will tell. seems unlikely to me, given the time and effort the club puts into recruitment, that they would make such a mistake over work permits without there being a plan B or an ulterior motive. clearly, you give them less credit than i do.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
i have no idea what we paid for him? does anyone? i guess time will tell. seems unlikely to me, given the time and effort the club puts into recruitment, that they would make such a mistake over work permits without there being a plan B or an ulterior motive. clearly, you give them less credit than i do.

Not sure it's a case of giving them less credit, I just think they saw it as a gamble, and not all gambles pay off. I think I mentioned it earlier, it's like paying for land before it gets planning permission. If you get the planning permission you've made a killing, but if it gets refused, you've probably just got to move it on at whatever return you can.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Does it matter if SA break into the top 50 anyway? I thought the player had to have played a certain percentage for his national team for a 2 year period during which they were actually ranked in the top 50.

I have no idea what the work permit regulations actually say, but your point was indeed made by a South African "correspondent" who appeared on the BBC Sussex Albion Unlimited podcast earlier this year.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Everyone talks of him as a commodity to be traded and sold on for a profit. What about the lad who signed for us in good faith believing he had a future in th Prem. League?

Hard nosed business men are ******** where money is concerned :smile:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Well said...

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I'd say he was fully aware of the situation when he signed.

This.

Well said...

Not this.

“Mr Tau, we’d like to buy you but are fully aware you may not qualify to play in England for the duration of your stated contract however we can guarantee you 4 x your existing wage and that you’ll play in Europe, initially in a second division team but hopefully thereafter a higher league.”

“Where do I sign?”

Is somewhat how I imagine the conversation went.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Why would it be for more than we paid for him? We've seen how worthless the top of the Dutch League can be, so why would anyone pay significant money for someone in the Belgian Second Division? The fact that the selling club HAS to sell, because they can't use him doesn't help us hold out for the right price.

What did we pay for him, £4m? What are you expecting us to get for him?

We are also paying his wages, travel expenses , relocation packages, signing on fees, agency fees etc. Add all that to his transfer fee and tell me we are gonna make a mint...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One thing that does baffle me is that under the Kolpak ruling, South African cricketers and rugby players can play in the UK with little restriction (they do have to give up international sport, but that's it). Does anyone know why Kolpak doesn't apply to football?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
One thing that does baffle me is that under the Kolpak ruling, South African cricketers and rugby players can play in the UK with little restriction (they do have to give up international sport, but that's it). Does anyone know why Kolpak doesn't apply to football?

Don't they have to give up playing for the national team to qualify?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We are also paying his wages, travel expenses , relocation packages, signing on fees, agency fees etc. Add all that to his transfer fee and tell me we are gonna make a mint...

Exactly. Really can't see where people are coming from saying we'll offload him at a profit.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

You've seen the Facebook comments, the Lion of Judah is the second coming of Messi and we'd be guaranteed a top four finish with him in the side. It won't be long before Barcelona are trying to prise him away from us for £80 million. This time next year Rodders we are going to be Billionaires.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

In terms of any legal standing, it does. It isn't at all cricket specific (its named after a handball player, after all).

But qualifying as a Kolpak (in cricket) simply means you have the right to not be considered an overseas player, and thus immune from overseas player number restrictions. It doesn't itself remove any need to ALSO have the required right to work / permit.

Can any South African player sign a Kolpak deal?
No. In 2009, the British Home Office ruled that to sign a Kolpak deal, a player must either have a valid work permit for four years in the UK or have earned a specified number of caps in international cricket.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In terms of any legal standing, it does. It isn't at all cricket specific (its named after a handball player, after all).

But qualifying as a Kolpak (in cricket) simply means you have the right to not be considered an overseas player, and thus immune from overseas player number restrictions. It doesn't itself remove any need to ALSO have the required right to work / permit.

But there are plenty of Kolpak cricketers who have not earned a many (or no) international caps. Smit of Derbyshire, for example, is uncapped. Glamorgan's De Lange has just two caps. How come then that they can get work permits? It does seem a bit arbitary

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But there are plenty of Kolpak cricketers who have not earned a many (or no) international caps. Smit of Derbyshire, for example, is uncapped. Glamorgan's De Lange has just two caps. How come then that they can get work permits? It does seem a bit arbitary

Probably because the SA cricket team is in the world’s top 50 :wink:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

De Lange isn't a Kolpak signing because he hasn't played the required number of international games. He's been able to get a UK work permit through his wife holding a UK passport.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On the thread about Bissouma and his injured shoulder it says he is ruled out of the AFCon are SA in this so could Percy play enough games to qualify for a work permit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here