Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well the Union SG kit is pretty similar to what he is used to, if he ends up there this season.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just received an email confirming his signing, good stuff for us! Loaning him out seems to make sense as we could recall him if we need to, and give us a chance to gauge his ability. Curious who we intend to loan him out to.

We can't recall him, well we could but there would be no point as he wouldn't be able to train with us (that's if he was even allowed to enter the country) as he cannot currently get a work permit.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
This transfer is obviously a massive deal in South Africa. The club tweet announcing the signing already has over 1300 retweets. Bissouma has less than 500, Bernardo less than 400 & Button is on less than 200. Nice to know large chunks of Africa now like us.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Sneaking suspicion that the intention is (perhaps) to loan him out somewhere like lower Serie A, Ligue 1, Eredivisie and hope he performs. We then sell him on to another European club with easier work permits and make a quick profit.

Nothing behind my thinking other than gut feeling.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
His club had been tauting him around for a while.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

So going by this explanation:

No qualification for his international caps as S Africa are outside of the Top 50
He's likely to get less than 4 from Primary Points
He'd need 5 points aggregated across Primary and Secondary.
The club must know that transfer and wages would give him some of these points but that he will need further points for playing in a top or secondary league. This means that he'll have to be loaned to a club in one of the top 8 leagues in Europe in terms of providing players to the top 20 Fifa Ranked squads. Possibly: England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Portugal? Netherlands? Turkey?

This means that the Belgian Second Division wouldn't help his application at all.
He'll also need to go somewhere where he is likely to play in 30% of games.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

No qualification for his international caps as S Africa are outside of the Top 50
The club must know that transfer and wages would give him some of these points but that he will need further points for playing in a top or secondary league. This means that he'll have to be loaned to a club in one of the top 8 leagues in Europe in terms of providing players to the top 20 Fifa Ranked squads. Possibly: England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Portugal? Netherlands? Turkey?

This means that the Belgian Second Division wouldn't help his application at all.

Interesting that it is judged on providing players to FIFAs top 20 ranked squads, when everyone agrees that FIFAs ranking is guff and is about to be revised. Also Belgiums current UEFA club coefficient is higher than that of Turkey and Netherlands.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

Currently the top 8 leagues on the country coefficient are Spain, England, Italy, Germany, France, Russia, Portugal, Ukraine.

If we are also going for points through the "continental competition" route, I would presume that would rule out Spain, Italy, Germany and France, where the teams competing in Europe would likely have too high a level in quality to play Tau regularly enough.

Edit: I've just re-read "top 8 leagues in Europe in terms of providing players to the top 20 Fifa Ranked squads"

The most represented leagues in the World Cup were (according to https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2018/0...es-are-sending-the-most-players-to-world-cup/)
England — 100
Spain — 64
Italy — 58
Germany — 52
France — 39
Turkey — 22
USA — 18
Belgium — 17
Netherlands — 15
Mexico — 14
Portugal — 10

And I suspect that the USA and Mexico didn't supply all that many players to top 20 ranked clubs, so your guess appears the most likely.

I think, look through Europa League clubs from these countries, and you have possible loan destinations. The Bragas, Alkmaars, Gents, Bordeauxs of this world.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Interesting that it is judged on providing players to FIFAs top 20 ranked squads, when everyone agrees that FIFAs ranking is guff and is about to be revised. Also Belgiums current UEFA club coefficient is higher than that of Turkey and Netherlands.

I was guessing based on where players from the top 20 countries play. Only one of Belgium's squad plays in Belgium, whereas despite not making the World Cup, Holland are currently in the top 20 and quite a few of their squad play in the Eredivisie. I would guess that we'd be looking at clubs at the bottom of Ligue One or the Bundesliga as the points would be higher for the top 6 leagues.

We're a long way from a set of corner flags for Gary Hart.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I read it was the top 6 european leagues and top 2 central/south American. So its the premier league, serie a, ligue 1, bundesliga, la liga, brasileiro serie a and liga mx, plus one more euro league I haven't seen specified.

Netherlands, turkey and Argentina leagues are the secondary leagues where fewer points are awarded, Belgium not mentioned at all

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Vitesse or Alkmaar would be best form him, both in european footy next season, both got a knack for developing good players, eredivise is a good league. As previously suggested, loaning Percy to Alkmaar could potentially sweeten any deal for jahanbakhsh, should that be a possibility.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I read it was the top 6 european leagues and top 2 central/south American. So its the premier league, serie a, ligue 1, bundesliga, la liga, brasileiro serie a and liga mx, plus one more euro league I haven't seen specified.

Netherlands, turkey and Argentina leagues are the secondary leagues where fewer points are awarded, Belgium not mentioned at all

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

So it looks increasingly unlikely that Tony's interest in owning a Belgian club is related to this transfer. So perhaps it stems from our previous interest in Jonathan Callieri. He was owned by a second division Uruguay team, Deportivo Maldonado, who only viewed him as an asset which would accrue value.

Our pursuit of Callieri indicates we have scouts working in South America, but the type of player that fits Brighton's model would be unlikely to get a UK work permit. If Tony could get USG into the Europa league it would make that club more appealing to raw talent from South America, or any other non European region.

Regardless if the Belgium league is weak, if USG were regularly playing in the Europa League, then the players would get the opportunity to showcase their talents. Good players would soon have other European clubs coming in for them, even if UK teams couldn't. This could turn a tidy profit.

Porto are good example of what Tony might be looking to do. They have made fortunes from importing players like Radamel Falcao and Hulk, polishing their talents and selling them on for vast profits.

Our recruitment department has demonstrated that we have a very good system to identify talent. It makes sense for the owner to maximise the potential of that system by exploiting the market in any manner legally possible, and who knows, it may well benefit Brighton in the future when we get first dibs on the next James Rodriguez.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
So it looks increasingly unlikely that Tony's interest in owning a Belgian club is related to this transfer. So perhaps it stems from our previous interest in Jonathan Callieri. He was owned by a second division Uruguay team, Deportivo Maldonado, who only viewed him as an asset which would accrue value.

Our pursuit of Callieri indicates we have scouts working in South America, but the type of player that fits Brighton's model would be unlikely to get a UK work permit. If Tony could get USG into the Europa league it would make that club more appealing to raw talent from South America, or any other non European region.

Regardless if the Belgium league is weak, if USG were regularly playing in the Europa League, then the players would get the opportunity to showcase their talents. Good players would soon have other European clubs coming in for them, even if UK teams couldn't. This could turn a tidy profit.

Porto are good example of what Tony might be looking to do. They have made fortunes from importing players like Radamel Falcao and Hulk, polishing their talents and selling them on for vast profits.

Our recruitment department has demonstrated that we have a very good system to identify talent. It makes sense for the owner to maximise the potential of that system by exploiting the market in any manner legally possible, and who knows, it may well benefit Brighton in the future when we get first dibs on the next James Rodriguez.

Exactly, I suspect that this is a major reason why Tony chose a Belgian club, it probably wouldnt take so much money to make it competitive, and the visa rules seem to be simpler.

French clubs have been making a fortune acting as middle men for African players (Bissouma case in point), and Portuguese clubs with young Brazilian talent. No reason why Union Saint Gilloise couldn't do similar things.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Buying Africans to get them working the fields (football this time) with the intention of making a profit on them, hmmmmmmm. What does this business model remind me of?

I was hoping to see him actually play for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here