Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Doesnt a work permit in Europe offer reciprical arrangements to all EU workers in this country whilst we are part of the EU.?

No, it was well documented that we couldn’t sign Ulloa until he got his Spanish Passport as he didn’t qualify for a UK work permit.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Elneny and Salah both went to Basel from Egypt for a combined £3m. They then made the move to the premier league for a combined £26m.

The cost of running Union Saint Gilloise is probably £2m net loss a season, before player sales. So by using the club as a gateway to the Premier League, you only need to get one player coming through every 5 years for it to make good financial sense. It also gives Tony access to the South American market, where Barcelona and Real Madrid have been importing young stars for years. Something Englsh clubs have no chance of doing.

i just jizzed

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course and i've no idea if they will secure the signing, work permit for Tau. I'm just assuming it wouldn't have got to this stage without a confident understanding that it will go ahead given the advice they will have sought.
I have no idea either, but yes, that sounds like a pretty reasonable assumption.

As for USG being a feeder club, clearly there's nothing anyone can say to convince anyone that this isn't the intention despite it being denied. Fair enough.
Business plans can be changed; good businessmen modify their plans quite frequently to reflect changes of circumstances. Of course, it is also possible that this particular plan won't change...........

Just kidding. It's a sensible idea but TB has stated that there will be no links between the clubs. I'm still sceptical.
See above; while respecting the assurances given, I too remain slightly sceptical! It could be some sort of tax loss gambit, I suppose. Time will tell..............

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have no idea either, but yes, that sounds like a pretty reasonable assumption.

Business plans can be changed; good businessmen modify their plans quite frequently to reflect changes of circumstances. Of course, it is also possible that this particular plan won't change...........

See above; while respecting the assurances given, I too remain slightly sceptical! It could be some sort of tax loss gambit, I suppose. Time will tell..............

Too many people are discounting the option that Bloom bought it as nothing more than a hobby.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Too many people are discounting the option that Bloom bought it as nothing more than a hobby.

He's bought it for a hobby;
He's bought it as some sort of tax loss gambit;
He's not going to have any links between the two clubs;
He's bluffing;
He wants to build a supermarket...........

No, I'm not discounting anything. It's just that I'm not counting anything definitely and unequivocally in!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Stade Joseph Marien has space for a huge Ikea at one end, following the Smellhurst model of urban planning.

Clever TB.

Well that would be the "lithium mine" option. That there is another angle for making a load of money out of the venture that has nothing to do with football.

Mentioned that earlier. Plaything I can buy, plus the above option or the deal being beneficial for the Albion in the long run.

What I don't believe is that this would purely be a "business investment" re the football club as it would only ever lose money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

From the outside looking in all of Mr Bloom's hobbies seem to generate him money.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I was talking in general about the regulations not spercifically about Ulloa I am sure there are examples of Africans getting a work permit here after gaining one in Belgium.

They may well have qualified for residency in Belgium and passport which would then allow them to work here. They may have subsequently met the criteria for gaining a UK work permit which in Football is primarily based on international appearances.

I will say it again, there is no rule in place that means someone getting a work permit in one EU country will automatically get one to work here. In the UK a work permit covers the job you are doing at that time and is not transferable, if you get a new job then a new work permit application would need to be made by the new company you wish to work for.

There are quite specific rules for gaining work permits for Non EU footballers, I suggest you google them rather than vaguely quoting something about Belgium and Africa and continuing your normal stance of arguing your point from a basis of mis-information.

Last edited:

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
We take him north to Libya stick him in a rubber dinghy.
When he lands in Italy he picks up a passport on the way in.
*simples*

(Before I get flamed, I am only joking of course.)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This seems to be quite a long running complicated signing saga. The club have become notoriously tight lipped on potential signings so I wonder if this protracted drama is normal it's just we never hear about it or if it is unusual.

If it is the latter it raises the question of why are attaching so much interest in him? From the video I've seen of him he looks like a possible Baldock upgrade. Yet Baldock barely kicked a ball for us last year due to injury, the form of Gross and the formation we played so where does a Baldock-esque player fit in next season? It'll be interesting to see should we sign him.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Of course and i've no idea if they will secure the signing, work permit for Tau. I'm just assuming it wouldn't have got to this stage without a confident understanding that it will go ahead given the advice they will have sought. .

I assume this is true of the many similar transfers that premier league clubs make every season but then fail to get work permits, so I hope its true here. However its very hard to see any way he can get one based on either the objective or subjective categories I posted earlier - unless, and this is what I'm holding on to - being that countries number 1 player would be considered to make a significant contribution to the development of football at the highest level in the UK.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This reminds me of Henry Onyekuru, the Nigerian we were linked with in the past. Everton ended up signing him but couldn't get a work permit and sent him straight out on loan to Anderlecht.

I get the feeling this type of transfer has a large part in Tony Blooms decision to buy Union Saint Gilloise. There is almost zero chance of him getting a work permit now, so we need to park him somewhere until he meets the criteria needed.

How would he gain the criteria needed by playing in Belgium? They don't count as a top league or secondary league, nor is USG going to be playing in the Europa league, so the only way he'd gain the criteria needed is for South Africa to climb the rankings.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This seems to be quite a long running complicated signing saga. The club have become notoriously tight lipped on potential signings so I wonder if this protracted drama is normal it's just we never hear about it or if it is unusual.

its rare isn't it but The (non) signing of Raphael Dwamena was pretty similar with, from the Swiss side at least, endless statements, quotes, and dramatics being played out in public and the local and African press.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes, on the face of it, it’s difficult to see how Percy Tau is going to meet the work permit criteria …..

However …

a) Tau seems pretty confident to burn his bridges in South Africa to force the transfer through
b) We seem to have enough confidence this transfer will go through to pursue a protracted and relatively public transfer

That says to me that the club have got something up their sleeve on this. We’re not the incompetent, David Belotti putting in planning for Waterhall knowing it’s going to fail, type of club any more. In fact we’re the opposite. The club’s confidence, gives me confidence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here