Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Tony's day job is to analyse football and predict outcomes. If he has taken a £4m punt on a player, who quite obviously wouldn't get a work permit, then he would have surely focused all of his analytical resources on assessing how likely and how soon that player would meet the required criteria.

A loan to RUSG wont help to get the permit directly, so the only conclusion is that the player is being stacked in a holding pattern whilst alternative criteria are met.

The club would have looked at South Africa's upcoming fixtures and come to the conclusion that they will soon get into the top 50 ranked nations.

South Africa have a series of 5 African Cup of Nations Qualifying games coming up over the next 6 months. They play Libya and Seychelles both home and away, and Nigeria at home.

They need to make up 80 ELO ranking points to get into the FIFA top 50 nations, which would automatically be enough for Percy to make a successful work permit application. The last time South Africa played Nigeria and won, in June last year, they gained 44 ELO points.

Obviously, if South Africa lose these upcoming qualifiers they would lose ELO points, and fall further down the FIFA rankings. This is the gamble Tony has made and where Star Lizard's expertise in predicting outcomes is crucial.

This is how this loan benefits Brighton.

Brilliant post. Thank you for the explanation, makes a lot more sense now.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
If that's his level then we are never going to see him play in the stripes.

I think you may be misunderstanding the purpose of this loan somewhat.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How ****ing difficult is it for these new " fans " from South Africa to understand the rules about work permits!

On Facebook, every post that BHA put about Percy tau they all come in there demanding he plays and abusing fans putting the ****ing idiots right....some of them keep asking the same ****ing questions over and over again.

And breathe

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
This move doesn't sit right with me. If we've signed him to be a potential first team player surely the Belgian 2nd division isn't going to speed up his development.

Surely he should be playing in a higher standard than that.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
This move doesn't sit right with me. If we've signed him to be a potential first team player surely the Belgian 2nd division isn't going to speed up his development.

I think you may be misunderstanding the purpose of this loan somewhat.

There we go.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

Shit you might be right. Maybe Bloom / Barber / Hughton didn't think of this. While we're at it, isn't Ryan too small to be a keeper? You'd have thought they would have thought about this stuff in advance.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I've already commented on this ....the fact he can't get a work permit is utter bollocks , he's prepared to work for a living , unlike a lot of the twatts around these days .

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Definitely don't see how the Belgian Second division would help meet the requirements, but I have to assume that however disappointing this move is, the club must know what they're doing, and have a plan for him. I don't think we've signed him just for a quick profit (why go all the way to SA to scout and sign someone just to re-sell?), the club would look closer to home for quick-profit sales i.e Mateju. Either that or Winstanley or one of the scouts fancied a holiday in SA and decided to watch Tau whilst out there and bring him back for a quick sell. Honestly though, I'm sure the club have big plans for him as part of the 1st team, so this loan move to a noddy league must be part of something bigger.
Better he goes somewhere and plays every week rather than a higher level and sit out on the bench,

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
How ****ing difficult is it for these new " fans " from South Africa to understand the rules about work permits!

On Facebook, every post that BHA put about Percy tau they all come in there demanding he plays and abusing fans putting the ****ing idiots right....some of them keep asking the same ****ing questions over and over again.

And breathe

You read facebook comments ???

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Somewhere like Union Saint Gilloise?

He can’t go into the U23s at all as the work permit issue prevents him from playing in this country.

Doubtful it will be them as they wouldn’t be playing in a high enough league for Tau to then qualify for a UK permit. Getting him out on loan means he will also hopefully be in the South Africa squad which will also help towards the Work Permit application.

No... needs to be playing at a higher level

???

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Tony's day job is to analyse football and predict outcomes. If he has taken a £4m punt on a player, who quite obviously wouldn't get a work permit, then he would have surely focused all of his analytical resources on assessing how likely and how soon that player would meet the required criteria.

A loan to RUSG wont help to get the permit directly, so the only conclusion is that the player is being stacked in a holding pattern whilst alternative criteria are met.

The club would have looked at South Africa's upcoming fixtures and come to the conclusion that they will soon get into the top 50 ranked nations.

South Africa have a series of 5 African Cup of Nations Qualifying games coming up over the next 6 months. They play Libya and Seychelles both home and away, and Nigeria at home.

They need to make up 80 ELO ranking points to get into the FIFA top 50 nations, which would automatically be enough for Percy to make a successful work permit application. The last time South Africa played Nigeria and won, in June last year, they gained 44 ELO points.

Obviously, if South Africa lose these upcoming qualifiers they would lose ELO points, and fall further down the FIFA rankings. This is the gamble Tony has made and where Star Lizard's expertise in predicting outcomes is crucial.

This is how this loan benefits Brighton.

Cheers Tony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Enlighten me, I understand that he is awaiting a work permit, in the meantime should be not be turning out at a higher standard than the Belgian second tier?

I'm with you on this - all these "I am considerably smarter than thou and therefore this makes perfect sense" merchants are being tedious, more so than usual in some cases. A loan to the Belgian second division, which isn't designed to boost his ability to obtain a work permit, makes almost no logical sense in football terms at all. It does Tony's Belgian club a favour and I'm not opposed to that principle but surely we could have found a better standard for Percy to be playing at, if he's a player at all.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Didn't Bloom say (in no uncertain terms) that Saint Gilloise wouldn't be used as a feeder club? Strange that

Strictly speaking, Brighton are being used as the feeder club.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If the right club would have paid his wages and guarenteed to play him a sensible amount I'm sure he'd have gone elsewhere. However if that perfect situation hasn't happened then I can well see how this is a beneficial all round compromise. We at least know he'll be played appropriately and his wages will be helping Tony's investment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here