Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hypothetically, supposing we actually obtain a work permit, does anyone think he’d be named in the final 25?

I don’t know anything about him ability wise and he may be the next big thing, but given the perceived level of South African football, I wonder if the plan has always been to loan him out immediately.

Of course we could still loan him out to a British team if he gets a permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
After Tony claimed there'd be no link between the two clubs, I'd be extremely shocked.
The standard of the Belgian second div is crap too, to the bargain.

You're right though: that's a very solid source. Hmm. Interesting.

Of course the there will be a link between the clubs, regardless of what Tony says. It's a bit like when the club say we have no interest in a player, when we all know they are actively pursuing them.

The Belgium second division is poor, that is why Tony will be doing all he can to get the club into the top division as soon as possible. This includes improving the playing squad. Percy would do that.

Percy Tau is unlikely to get a work permit due to a lack of international caps, therefore we only need to park him for a period, allowing him time to get those caps, regardless of the standard of football. The important thing will be the standard of coaching, so it will be interesting to see if Tony recruits better coaches in Belgium.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Of course the there will be a link between the clubs, regardless of what Tony says. It's a bit like when the club say we have no interest in a player, when we all know they are actively pursuing them.

The Belgium second division is poor, that is why Tony will be doing all he can to get the club into the top division as soon as possible. This includes improving the playing squad. Percy would do that.

Percy Tau is unlikely to get a work permit due to a lack of international caps, therefore we only need to park him for a period, allowing him time to get those caps, regardless of the standard of football. The important thing will be the standard of coaching, so it will be interesting to see if Tony recruits better coaches in Belgium.

Percy is a regular for South Africa already. If they were ranked in the top 50 he would likely get his work permit. But they are 83rd or thereabouts so he can't qualify for a work permit on caps. He could qualify for a work permit if he commanded a high transfer fee, was getting a high salary, playing in a top league and playing in a continental club competition.

The Belgian league is not considered a top league (nor a secondary league), and that's the first division, let alone the second. And USG will obviously not be in the Europa League. So there is a no path to a work permit by playing for USG.

If this is some cunning plan by Tony to use BHA's income to buy quality players for USG, well that would be ... interesting

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Percy is a regular for South Africa already. If they were ranked in the top 50 he would likely get his work permit. But they are 83rd or thereabouts so he can't qualify for a work permit on caps. He could qualify for a work permit if he commanded a high transfer fee, was getting a high salary, playing in a top league and playing in a continental club competition.

The Belgian league is not considered a top league (nor a secondary league), and that's the first division, let alone the second. And USG will obviously not be in the Europa League. So there is a no path to a work permit by playing for USG.

If this is some cunning plan by Tony to use BHA's income to buy quality players for USG, well that would be ... interesting

Isn't the world ranking system about to get a shake up? How would that affect South Africa's ranking?

Perhaps Tony intends to get them into the Europa league, you can only do that by improving thier playing squad.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hypothetically, supposing we actually obtain a work permit, does anyone think he’d be named in the final 25?

I don’t know anything about him ability wise and he may be the next big thing, but given the perceived level of South African football, I wonder if the plan has always been to loan him out immediately.

Of course we could still loan him out to a British team if he gets a permit.

Hypothetically or in practice, the answer is no. You spend some time on here, and the situation with Percy's work permit has been made on numerous occasions, so I'm struggling to see why you haven't understood the situation. He will need to go to a European club -- where the rules are laxer -- for a year in order to qualify to play in England.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If he does get a work permit, that will give CH a couple of weeks training and friendlies to decide whether to include him in the 25...
Yep that's how it'll work.

The club appear to be dealing with a hatstand club.
Finally get a £3m transfer deal.
Jump through all the Home Office hoops.

and then

only then

Will Chris decide whether to put him in the squad.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I am sure our recruitment team have taken advice on the work permit issue but if we loan him into Europe for a year or 2 the situation post brexit (ugh) may complicate matters. No guarantee of automatic ok jyst because he has played in Europe.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I am sure our recruitment team have taken advice on the work permit issue but if we loan him into Europe for a year or 2 the situation post brexit (ugh) may complicate matters. No guarantee of automatic ok jyst because he has played in Europe.
The Premier League will have lobbied to have that sorted for sure.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Of course all these rules and points systems regarding work permits mean absolutely nothing if you can convince the Exceptions Panel to make an exception. As someone else noted he is South Africa's Footballer of the Season, Players' Player of the Season and joint Top Scorer of the Season, and not only that he's been named amongst the world’s 500 most influential footballers for 2018 by World Soccer Magazine, which must mean something :)

There is a case that he is an exceptional talent playing in a lesser league and he needs rescuing!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Percy Tau

Hypothetically or in practice, the answer is no. You spend some time on here, and the situation with Percy's work permit has been made on numerous occasions, so I'm struggling to see why you haven't understood the situation. He will need to go to a European club -- where the rules are laxer -- for a year in order to qualify to play in England.

You’re missing the point entirely, in the unlikely event he did. Would you include him in the 25.

Hence, the hypothetical nature of the question. [emoji2]

PS - I understand it’s unlikely.....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What is a hatstand club?
Hatstand mental.
I've not been paying to much attention, but whenever I do, Percy's current club seem to have behaved oddly to the Albion and their player throughout this transfer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You’re missing the point entirely, in the unlikely event he did. Would you include him in the 25.

Hence, the hypothetical nature of the question. [emoji2]

PS - I understand it’s unlikely.....

That event isn't unlikely from my limited understanding, it's impossible. It's not my decision to make and if I were to hypotheticate (which is a bit pointless anyway), it'd depend on what movements occur before the 25 man squad needs to be announced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here