Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Seagull Pond protector

Nostalgia

Mar 22, 2012
Just had all my Tadpoles and Newts wiped out by a terrorist attack from Seagulls!
Any one got any good deterrents that work. I was thinking of a hard plastic removable mesh to put over it when when we are out,dont really want a [permanent net they look horrible. The area to be covered is approx 3.5 x 3.5 metres square.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Just had all my Tadpoles and Newts wiped out by a terrorist attack from Seagulls!
Any one got any good deterrents that work. I was thinking of a hard plastic removable mesh to put over it when when we are out,dont really want a [permanent net they look horrible. The area to be covered is approx 3.5 x 3.5 metres square.

sorry to hear that. I have had a problem with starlings taking my tadpoles. Partly my fault as I had a weed raft to facilate the froglets getting out. I am thinking about removing them but also using some bamboo canes tied together as that might look more 'natural'

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I kept losing my fish through bloody gulls so was advised that a pond pump running all the time with a wide sprinkler setting on the fountain will keep the birds away ,they find it disorentating and vere away at the last moment apparently , now whether or not this actually works i don't know , because by the time i heard of this handy hint i'd got rid of my pond , sounds feasible i suppose .

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Although I don't currently have a fish pond, I previously used a fairly fine black plastic netting which could be stretched over the pond ( I used half or threequarter inch plastic piping at each end filled with sand to keep it in place, or indeed can be left floating on top - It wasn't very intrusive and didn't interfere with fish coming up for air or feeding.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
We used to have gannet and gull issues on the gas platforms off the Humber Coast. Fish bones etc cause havoc with helicopter engine intakes.

The solution is very simple.

-An eagle owl dummy (plastic type Google) available form most market garden on-line distributors.
-A weather vane.

Fix the eagle owl to the weather vane and put up by the pond. All bird life will be scared away believe me. The movement of the eagle owl on the vane will be random and not predictable.

Easy solution.

TNBA

TTF

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
TELEMMGLPICT000127814090_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqUSuiNG1GFUnOQ8rbuSnk0kbFqZndD6zBrHkAhdjA_HU.jpeg

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We used to have gannet and gull issues on the gas platforms off the Humber Coast. Fish bones etc cause havoc with helicopter engine intakes.

-An eagle owl dummy (plastic type Google) available form most market garden on-line distributors.
-A weather vane.

Fix the eagle owl to the weather vane and put up by the pond. All bird life will be scared away believe me. The movement of the eagle owl on the vane will be random and not predictable.

Easy solution.

TNBA

TTF

I put one of those Eagle Owls up on my pergola to keep the pigeons off it as they were crapping all over my patio. After about a week they became best mates and started trying to shag it

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

-A weather vane.

Easy solution.

TNBA

TTF

86FBBF91-E8F8-47C1-A581-E2E993C14B27.jpeg

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

fries_PNG76.png

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Forget the rest, proven product here.
https://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/pondxpert-pond-protectors-30-rings-bogof/p3220
I have a fairly large pond, 2 x 2 metres, with 10 fish that come up to the surface to be fed. Last year we 'gained' 15 babies all of whom survived. The rings can be cut to size and layed out around the outside of the pond surface leaving the middle clear (do seagulls swoop or sit on the edge?). Anyway, we have a heron in the area and have seen him sat on our wall but he is unable to get at the fish, nor can our cat! The rings really cant be seen that much.
After 14 months use we still have all our fish.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Fish are spawning at the Rockery today and this one particular Gull is picking the fish off one by one. Absolutely nothing I can do about it

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Forget the rest, proven product here.
https://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/pondxpert-pond-protectors-30-rings-bogof/p3220
I have a fairly large pond, 2 x 2 metres, with 10 fish that come up to the surface to be fed. Last year we 'gained' 15 babies all of whom survived. The rings can be cut to size and layed out around the outside of the pond surface leaving the middle clear (do seagulls swoop or sit on the edge?). Anyway, we have a heron in the area and have seen him sat on our wall but he is unable to get at the fish, nor can our cat! The rings really cant be seen that much.
After 14 months use we still have all our fish.

Is the answer

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Our solution sounds implausible but it's worked for us for three or four years now, and we live in an area full of hungry herring gulls.

I get some long branches and sticks from the woods and create a sort of random lattice over the pond. Pigeons etc sit on them and have a drink from time to time but they seem to deter the gulls from diving in and helping themselves.

I'm not quite sure why it works and I'm sure a really determined gull could still do some damage, but for whatever reason the sticks seem to create a barrier they don't want to breach.

Also, in my opinion, the branches add a bit of rustic appeal and also a useful route in and out of the pond for newts and froglets. Good place to observe the damsel flies too.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can't be the only one who thought this was a new addition to the club shop :jester:

Sorry I can't help, OP.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here