Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Collymore calls Ian Wright a 'Tom' after latest race issues interview

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Big interview in Observer/Guardian online today with Stan Collymore, developing his recent theme of why black former players aren't getting manager jobs.

Among other views, this on Chris Hughton: “The acceptable face of BAME managers is Chris Hughton. I have no doubt Chris has strong views on race and expresses them behind the scenes, but he knows that to progress in life he can’t do so in public; he has to shut up and get on with it. That’s not a criticism of Chris – it’s how most people from ethnic backgrounds behave.”

I'm not sure that is true anyway. Chris has spoken out about the black managers issue, and attends and speaks at Kick It Out and Football's Black List awards nights and functions. Chris doesn't have a chip on his shoulder in any way, knows his worth, gets on with his job, and is proud of where he came from.

Collymore has also had a big Twitter row with Ian Wright today, amazingly even calling him a 'Tom' (worst insult a black man could aim at another?) about the volume of Wright's TV media work compared to Collymore's.

Sadly IMHO Collymore has got this all wrong on the TV work. He just isn't a very good pundit. He shouts, screams at and bullies callers and guests on the radio. And he has a king-sized chip on both shoulders, much like Sol Campbell, the man he keeps trying to put ahead of Gerrard and Lampard for managerial jobs.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Collymore should stick to what he's good at, which is nothing, he's just another two Bob bit pundit, who likes the sound of his own gob.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmmmm Collymore v Hughton.

Hardly a fair fight, although I guess Stan knows all about that.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Another section from this interview that has stirred things up...

'To be a black pundit you either need to be a comedian like Chris Kamara or Ian Wright – guys who have big pearly-white smiles and everyone loves laughing at – or Jermaine Jenas and Alex Scott, who are completely inoffensive,' he says. 'What you’re not allowed to do is call out the status quo, which is what I do.

'Opportunities have been denied to me and it’s got nothing to with what happened with Ulrika Jonsson because I’ve worked since then. No, it’s because I’ve become increasingly outspoken and that’s not allowed in this country if you’re not white.'

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Stan Collymore is a football troll. He is fast becoming the Katie Hopkins of the football world.

He knows his aggressive style will create the controversy and attention that will satisfy his insecure ego.

Sad, sad man.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Another section from this interview that has stirred things up...

'To be a black pundit you either need to be a comedian like Chris Kamara or Ian Wright – guys who have big pearly-white smiles and everyone loves laughing at – or Jermaine Jenas and Alex Scott, who are completely inoffensive,' he says. 'What you’re not allowed to do is call out the status quo, which is what I do.

'Opportunities have been denied to me and it’s got nothing to with what happened with Ulrika Jonsson because I’ve worked since then. No, it’s because I’ve become increasingly outspoken and that’s not allowed in this country if you’re not white.'

opportunities have been denied Collymore as he clearly has a personality problem, while Wright and Kamara are chaps most people would happily go down the pub with. cf picture Wright has posted. Stan comes back with insults. what a cjtc.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have very little respect for Stan Collymore, largely due to his historical treatment of women.

However, much of what he says in that interview is true and although I used to be dead set against ''positive discrimination'' I do feel that it is needed soon within football management at least for a time frame to try and address the balance and then when we have a better balance then we can look at it again further down the line.

The bit that I can't understand about the interview is - Why would he put down the two people who have largely bucked the trend and been successful in Management and in the Media (Chris Hughton and Ian Wright). He should be more positive about their success in being from BME backgrounds.

This is a ''faux pas'' from Stan. You have to raise these issues from a position of strength. If you do it when you have just lost your job it sounds like sour grapes. You stand a better chance of being listened to if you do it in the ears of the right people and less so in public.

Things won't change because of a Guardian article - It has to change in Boardrooms and in people in power's minds. CH speaks out on these issues a lot more than Stan Collymore probably realises and just because its not on TV or in a National Newspaper doesn't mean to say it's not happening.

Stan indicates it wasn't a criticism of Chris but in a round about way it was and an unfair one at that, even though he probably didn't mean it to be.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It all went downhill from 1998 when he decided to give the lovely Ulrika a beating, zero respect for him

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I used to like Collymore, I actually did. But after the Ukrika incident I lost all respect for him. Can’t see beyond that really and I’m amazed he gets any work after that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just stirring things up to generate publicity for himself, he's a bit irrelevant as it stands. Can't blame him for trying. the media seems a precarious profession. You can quickly become yesterdays man.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Come on, as he said, he only hit her with an open hand, so, that really doesn’t count.

Does his views extend to other forms of the media, acting, journalism, even music? If so, then by his reckoning. Idris Elba, George Alaghia, and numerous Black musicians must be Uncle Toms, as well as 99% of bame sportsmen.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here