Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Collymore calls Ian Wright a 'Tom' after latest race issues interview

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Well said. I remember when Alan Hansen got huuuugggeee abuse for using the word 'coloured' instead of black, people were hounding him as racist. Ridiculous, his comment actually was that he wished there were more coloured managers in the game. All that needed to be said was that the term is a little outdated now, not hound him as a racist.
Yes and poor old Ron Atkinson who merely said that...... Oh no, not that one actually.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Here, here. I don't think of our Chris as black, white, mixed or any other such label. He's our manager and arguably the best ever. That's all that counts.

Yes. But what counts with me, is that he's a class act who as well as being a fine manager, yet often speaks out against racism, talks about the role of black players/managers in the game including himself and finds the time to speak out at events and join campaigns that seek to change this.

“When I started my pathway, black players were often considered to be good wingers, good players, but not captain or management material. It has changed since then, which is pleasing, but we still have so far to go. We [BAME managers] don’t want tokenism, but there needs to be a transitional period that allows us an opportunity. The culture has to change to allow good, worthy coaches to be associated with big clubs and big organisations.”
via https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...agers-don-t-want-tokenism-we-want-opportunity

kjgood

Thought collymore was half cast so he's not a black man....Not sure why half casts are seen as black when most of their mums are white !!!

Your terminology is somewhat outdated, however the view from our learned friends is now you are what you identify yourself as, not what others see you as. That goes for all of the protected characteristics. So if Stan identifiys with being a black man or of afro caribean origin then that is what he is.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Seriously ??

Yeah, I’m a feminist. I believe that obnoxious, publicity seeking harlots, acting like a complete **** should be able to be given a slap just like blokes when they act like she did (you don’t even know the story)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yeah, I’m a feminist. I believe that obnoxious, publicity seeking harlots, acting like a complete **** should be able to be given a slap just like blokes when they act like she did (you don’t even know the story)

Tell us the story then. What are the circumstances that make it acceptable for a man to hit his girlfriend?

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Collymore's hate for Ian Wright goes back to their Palace days. He couldn't get in the side infront of Wright and Bright and has claimed he was bullied by them.

Stan is a complete knob. Keeps banging out about Sol campbell and Ince not getting jobs because off their colour, When the truth is they don't get jobs becuase the are both idiots.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Collymore's hate for Ian Wright goes back to their Palace days. He couldn't get in the side infront of Wright and Bright and has claimed he was bullied by them.

Stan is a complete knob. Keeps banging out about Sol campbell and Ince not getting jobs because off their colour, When the truth is they don't get jobs becuase the are both idiots.
Bloody hell, you've posted something I agree with.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Tell us the story then. What are the circumstances that make it acceptable for a man to hit his girlfriend?

If your dinners late (give her ten minutes leeway of course, I'm not a bigot.) or if she hasn't got herself 'made-up' by the time you get home from work, to name just a couple.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How tedious, on the face of it. Two ex-footballers slinging insults at each other over Twatter. I am by no way anti-social media, but I do despair when there is so much shite on there!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wonder how much of the response to this is because it's Collymore, how much is because he disparaged one of ours, and how much is just people don't like it when someone brings up inequality (it political correctness gone mad, init?!)?

How long do BAME people have to wait? It's not like racial equality in football management is something that has only just come under the spotlight since the introduction of VAR technology. Ron Atkinson was fired in 2004. Kick It Out was founded in 1993. How much have things moved on since then for black managers and coaches? It's been an issue for a while now, and we're not seeing much advancement.

Getting a job on TV or Football management isn't the same thing, obviously, but the right to vote wasn't just handed down because one or two women were trusted with the vote and they kept their heads down, voted with dignity, didn't draw attention to themselves, didn't upset the establishment (men). Civil rights weren't bestowed upon black men and women because one or two got them and were deemed ok by the rest of society. Changes aren't made by people 'not kicking up a fuss'. The status quo doesn't get disrupted by 'getting on with the job' 'conducting yourself with dignity'. It gets disrupted by protests, and people disturbing horse races with sacrificial actions, it's causing a fuss and offending. It is jumping up and down and screaming 'look! there's something that might need to change over here!'

Look at how many management vacancies there have been in the last ten years - how many have gone to BAME managers? How long do people have to wait patiently, sit down quietly with dignity, and not kick up a fuss? Is it a little bit longer because people don't like the current person kicking up a fuss?

EDIT: Just in case I need to clarify for anyone, no, I'm not advocating riots or protests or throwing oneself to their death in the middle of a grand national just to get another black manager in the league. But, this 'sit down, shut up, and wait for change' attitude doesn't sit well with me. Sometimes change needs people to call for it to come.

It will evolve naturally over time, in what I think is a fair system.

Pulis, Pardew, Moyes, etc come from a time where the vast majority of footballers were white. Then add in other countries like Portugal, as sources for our managers, and the candidates field is predominantly white.

Inevitably, most candidates with a track record of winning, are white.

Eventually there will be more Chris Hughton's, Chris Powell's.

But probably not to the liking of those anally obsessed with positive discrimination and the Rooney Rule.

Personally I don't think there's an ounce of racism amongst PL and Championship club owners. They're selecting the subjectively best candidates at the time, from a pool of Europeans and South Americans who happen to be white.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Listen to Hughton on Talksports BAME special and tell me he keeps his head down. Collymore is just a massive bellend who, despite playing at the highest level, has a worse understanding of the game than 80% of the people on here.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It will evolve naturally over time, in what I think is a fair system.

Pulis, Pardew, Moyes, etc come from a time where the vast majority of footballers were white. Then add in other countries like Portugal, as sources for our managers, and the candidates field is predominantly white.

Inevitably, most candidates with a track record of winning, are white.

Eventually there will be more Chris Hughton's, Chris Powell's.

But probably not to the liking of those anally obsessed with positive discrimination and the Rooney Rule.

Personally I don't think there's an ounce of racism amongst PL and Championship club owners. They're selecting the subjectively best candidate at the time, from a pool of Europeans and South Americans who happen to be white.

I know this is potentially controversial, but I'm sure I read somewhere that in the last census analysis, only 3% of the British population was classed as Black, African, Carribbean etc (although I suspect this has gone up in the intervening years as I'm sure it was a few years back). Now there's 72 clubs in the UK, meaning that we basically need 3 managers to be of that ethnicity for them to be more than fairly represented within English football management proportionate to the amount of their particular race that live within this country. Well...Keith Curle, Hughton and Darren Moore were all managers within our English Leagues last year (I did hear Curle may leave but haven't checked this). That suggests to me that, proportionately Black people, in particular, are getting a fair chance at management.

If anyone in particular has a gripe, it's the Asian community who really don't have anyone to look up to at all.

Not to say that there shouldn't be more opportunities for people from the BAME groups, but that certain groups actually are well represented...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here