Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Collymore calls Ian Wright a 'Tom' after latest race issues interview

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With respect, "half-caste" was possibly THE most commonly used term to describe a mixed race person until very recently. Particularly older generations can be forgiven for thinking it is still acceptable - especially considering most people won't know (without a quick googling) why exactly it is now regarded as offensive.

The best thing you can do when someone uses this term is to politely inform them that it is unacceptable, rather than suggesting they are racist. When they ask "why's that then?", simply explain how "caste" comes from the Latin 'castus' meaning 'pure' and there are historic implications that it is the 'white race' that is being described as pure with its usage, consequently suggesting that the 'black race' is somehow impure.

It is of course an unacceptable term, but let's not get on our high horses branding people racists. It is difficult to keep up with what's offensive and what's not these days.
Hear hear.

I think the term "half caste" went out of use around the same time as Guy Gibson's dog (not before time).
No it didn't - it was around in common parlance (and generally thought to be OK) a lot later. About fifteen/twenty years I reckon.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
With respect, "half-caste" was possibly THE most commonly used term to describe a mixed race person until very recently. Particularly older generations can be forgiven for thinking it is still acceptable - especially considering most people won't know (without a quick googling) why exactly it is now regarded as offensive.

The best thing you can do when someone uses this term is to politely inform them that it is unacceptable, rather than suggesting they are racist. When they ask "why's that then?", simply explain how "caste" comes from the Latin 'castus' meaning 'pure' and there are historic implications that it is the 'white race' that is being described as pure with its usage, consequently suggesting that the 'black race' is somehow impure.

It is of course an unacceptable term, but let's not get on our high horses branding people racists. It is difficult to keep up with what's offensive and what's not these days.

An intelligent reply. Most people know the current description is ‘mixed race’ but don’t get complacent because that’ll be up for review soon enough. Maybe it’s already moved on and an old racist like me has missed it.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Chris handles the issue of race perfectly. Gets on with the job and in doing so proves that race has nothing to do with ability.

As he's not continually kicking up a fuss about so called racial inequality in football, when thinking of Chris, you don't really think of him as a black manager - just a manager like any other... just how it should be.

Same as, never looked at him because of his colour. He's the manager of my football team and a bloody good one at that.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Oh dear, Collymore is an obvious dick head who accepts Putin's shilling ( or rouble as the case may be) . It's a shame so many on here this evening though are desperate to prove his point.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Same as, never looked at him because of his colour. He's the manager of my football team and a bloody good one at that.

Here, here. I don't think of our Chris as black, white, mixed or any other such label. He's our manager and arguably the best ever. That's all that counts.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Oh dear, Collymore is an obvious dick head who accepts Putin's shilling ( or rouble as the case may be) . It's a shame so many on here this evening though are desperate to prove his point.

Stan Collymore :lolol:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I consider myself open and fair minded, hating all bullying, descrimation.

But Collymore and Sol Campbell's train of thought, paranoia and in your face methods get no sympathy from me.

I bet Ian Wright and Chris Hughton have faced every bit as much overt and subtle racism as Campbell and Collymore.

The difference. Hughton got where he is because he's bloody good at. Not through arse licking or acceptance of being abused in the slightest. IMO Ian Wright has charisma, is a good orator and listener, and deserves his enduring success in the media. I love his radio and TV slots.

Collymore shouts, interrupts, doesn't listen, dominates his media work. In essence, he's crap at it.

Nowt to do with skin colour or being Uncle Tom.

Exactly my thinking.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
An intelligent reply. Most people know the current description is ‘mixed race’ but don’t get complacent because that’ll be up for review soon enough. Maybe it’s already moved on and an old racist like me has missed it.

Not that I want to agree with anything you have to say in this thread but I think Biracial is the term used in America now. Wouldn't be suprised if it takes over from mixed race in this country.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wonder how much of the response to this is because it's Collymore, how much is because he disparaged one of ours, and how much is just people don't like it when someone brings up inequality (it political correctness gone mad, init?!)?

How long do BAME people have to wait? It's not like racial equality in football management is something that has only just come under the spotlight since the introduction of VAR technology. Ron Atkinson was fired in 2004. Kick It Out was founded in 1993. How much have things moved on since then for black managers and coaches? It's been an issue for a while now, and we're not seeing much advancement.

Getting a job on TV or Football management isn't the same thing, obviously, but the right to vote wasn't just handed down because one or two women were trusted with the vote and they kept their heads down, voted with dignity, didn't draw attention to themselves, didn't upset the establishment (men). Civil rights weren't bestowed upon black men and women because one or two got them and were deemed ok by the rest of society. Changes aren't made by people 'not kicking up a fuss'. The status quo doesn't get disrupted by 'getting on with the job' 'conducting yourself with dignity'. It gets disrupted by protests, and people disturbing horse races with sacrificial actions, it's causing a fuss and offending. It is jumping up and down and screaming 'look! there's something that might need to change over here!'

Look at how many management vacancies there have been in the last ten years - how many have gone to BAME managers? How long do people have to wait patiently, sit down quietly with dignity, and not kick up a fuss? Is it a little bit longer because people don't like the current person kicking up a fuss?

EDIT: Just in case I need to clarify for anyone, no, I'm not advocating riots or protests or throwing oneself to their death in the middle of a grand national just to get another black manager in the league. But, this 'sit down, shut up, and wait for change' attitude doesn't sit well with me. Sometimes change needs people to call for it to come.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I consider myself open and fair minded, hating all bullying, descrimation.

But Collymore and Sol Campbell's train of thought, paranoia and in your face methods get no sympathy from me.

I bet Ian Wright and Chris Hughton have faced every bit as much overt and subtle racism as Campbell and Collymore.

The difference. Hughton got where he is because he's bloody good at. Not through arse licking or acceptance of being abused in the slightest. IMO Ian Wright has charisma, is a good orator and listener, and deserves his enduring success in the media. I love his radio and TV slots.

Collymore shouts, interrupts, doesn't listen, dominates his media work. In essence, he's crap at it.

Nowt to do with skin colour or being Uncle Tom.
This with bells on. Collymore is an insufferable idiot and Sol Campbell is thick as mince but thinks that he's a genius.

Neither do anyone any favours, unlike our Chris.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
There is a reason that Collymore, Ince and Campbell don’t get work.

It’s because they come across as egotistical, confrontational weirdos.... who when they don’t get the opportunities THEY think they deserve they play the race card.

Collymore has shown what an ignorant moron he is today, shooting his mouth off before engaging his very small brain

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It wasn't ok 20 years ago I'm afraid.

Can't you read? I never said it was, just that there was a long time between '******' becoming unacceptable and 'half cast' becoming unacceptable. One word (or phrase) stayed around in common parlance longer than the other.

There, I've quoted the N word now - enough to have you frothing at the mouth yet?

Waits with baited breath for an outraged person to fly into a rage with a furious response. Please specify on whose behalf you are being outraged...................

Just for the record, I don't, nor would I ever dream of doing so, refer to anybody as ****** or half cast. Totally unacceptable, and quite rightly so. History sometimes has to be explained, though, and those words were once in common usage.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I happen to agree with Collymore that a version of the Rooney Rule should be in play for all coaching vacancies at professional clubs in the UK, just to give owners and directors exposure to other possibilities. CH himself admitted that he had not interviewed any BAME coaches when Calderwood left but just called his old mate Paul Trollope. It's that old pals' network that may be preventing black coaches even getting a foot in the door.

On the subject of Sol Campbell - yes, he comes across as a jerk with a colossal sense of entitlement, but he has a Pro Licence - unlike Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard - and might justifiably feel that he should at least be getting interviews. Under a Rooney Rule, he probably would. Perhaps he wouldn't impress potential employers, but he'd have a chance to do so, and that's all any of us ask, surely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here