Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Russian welcome mat laid out for our fans....

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Just read this. Looks like anyone with an English accent is fair play for Putins state sponsored militia, sorry 'fans'.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has advised all England fans travelling to Russia to prepare for hostility as a result of the increased tensions between the two countries.

The FCO said: "Due to heightened political tensions between the UK and Russia, you should be aware of the possibility of anti-British sentiment or harassment at this time.

"If you're currently in Russia or due to travel in the coming weeks, you're advised to remain vigilant, avoid any protests or demonstrations and avoid commenting publicly on political developments."

You thought France was bad. I can see this going very, very pear shaped.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I thought FIFA were all about separating sport and politics.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
To be fair, the decision to give it to Russia was at a time when we were relatively friendly. Also, fifa have nothing to do with any statements from the FCO
Fair points, although the 'relatively' is the key word here.

I will await their decisive action when/if it all kicks off.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I hope it's a friendly World Cup and the Russian police deal quickly and effectively with any potential troublemakers from any team.

An ex diplomat on the BBC was saying the other day, that if any English supporters find themselves in legal trouble in Russia, not to expect the 'normal' service from our consular staff due to the reduction in staff recently.

I think anyone going and behaving sensibly will have a great time, but I can imagine there will be simmering tension just below the surface.

Probably a good idea will be to hope that we don't have to play Russia in the later stages!

edit: We can't play Russia until the semi-final at the earliest, I can imagine there will be a very good chance us or Russia or both will not get that far anyway. :eek:

Last edited:

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Personally, I think this will be a WC remembered for all the wrong reasons. I think some lives will be permanently changed at this event which will lead to an even greater political unrest.
I really fear for those who are intending on going. I can see the so called experts sitting back afterwards telling us all how it shouldn’t have been allowed to go ahead, after the event.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
People were saying the same about South Africa before that tournament. I fully expect there to be the usual few pissed up idiots throwing some plastic furniture about but the world is watching and cannot see the Russians letting it descend into the Wild West

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
A mistake to give it to Russia in the first place and will be confirmed as a huge mistake at the end.
I think England fans will be too scared to start any trouble this time, but if they are picked on by other fans, especially Russians they will find themselves in a whole heap of trouble, with innocents being rounded up too.
You cannot trust Russians to actually do anything they say they will.
Racism could be a huge problem as well.
Obviously the longer we stay in the tournament the worse it will be, especially if Russia go out early.
Quick question, are you actually allowed to have a drink in Russia, get drunk and hang around outside singing etc?
If it's frowned upon, the Police will go wading in before any trouble has even started, apparently Russian plastic chairs are the least aerodynamic of any World Cup since Mexico.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Russian thugs will attack our supporters and our it’ll be our fans being nicked and thrown in a Russian prison.

Not going to Russia, not going to Qatar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Usual pre tournament hot air. Went to South Africa when we were all going to be car jacked, murdered etc...

Went to Ukraine euros when we were all coming home in coffins and Russians / Poles etc were going to kick our heads in.

These things are so heavily policies I can’t see a repeat of Marseille.

I’m going and not worried!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think England fans will be too scared to start any trouble this time, but if they are picked on by other fans, especially Russians they will find themselves in a whole heap of trouble, with innocents being rounded up too.

Things have changed since France 98... can’t remember the last time I saw England fans start anything of any real note in the last 10 years !

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
No surprise were in for a hostile reception. Our government blame Russia for everything after all.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So I guess singing "Skripal" at the end of "The Great Escape" is out?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Personally, I think this will be a WC remembered for all the wrong reasons. I think some lives will be permanently changed at this event which will lead to an even greater political unrest.
I really fear for those who are intending on going. I can see the so called experts sitting back afterwards telling us all how it shouldn’t have been allowed to go ahead, after the event.

Get a grip mate . Looking like a right fanny

Heard all this before numerous tournaments .

**** all will happen so stop sh itting your pants

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here