Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Waits

Members

Tom Waits

1 Not allowed!
    First heard him about 40 years ago when I was a young 'un and he was just getting appreciated.

A lifelong love affair followed - and I saw in the two times he played in England.

I prefer his earlier work to his later avant-garde work, I suspect he was at his best as a craftsman when he was drinking (I'm guessing)

I figure him as not only a great US singer songwriter, but also as a great lyricist/poet of the USA.

I'd take 'Kentucky Avenue' and 'The Briar and the Rose' to my grave, but there are too many other favourites to choose...

Any other 'Waitists' out there in NSC-land?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by exKT17 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      First heard him about 40 years ago when I was a young 'un and he was just getting appreciated.

A lifelong love affair followed - and I saw in the two times he played in England.

I prefer his earlier work to his later avant-garde work, I suspect he was at his best as a craftsman when he was drinking (I'm guessing)

I figure him as not only a great US singer songwriter, but also as a great lyricist/poet of the USA.

I'd take 'Kentucky Avenue' and 'The Briar and the Rose' to my grave, but there are too many other favourites to choose...

Any other 'Waitists' out there in NSC-land?
      I have a few albums, some of his work is inspirational and some is unlistenable (or maybe I need to listen better). Can understand why some people prefer the cover versions, but I like his voice.
      Was that the intro? I should have been in!

1 Not allowed!
      Way Down in the Hole for me.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      I've been listening to Waits for about 35 years, I think all his albums are great but if I had to pick one, it would be Rain Dogs. I can see that his vocal style is an acquired taste however.

I've never seen him live - he's top of my list of unseen acts that I'd love to see.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      I've been listening to Waits for about 35 years, I think all his albums are great but if I had to pick one, it would be Rain Dogs. I can see that his vocal style is an acquired taste however.

I've never seen him live - he's top of my list of unseen acts that I'd love to see.
      He doesn't come here often, so when he does tickets are hard to come by, I was lucky, twice
      Keith Keith Keith Dublin herecomesaregular's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Love this cover of one of his classic songs:

https://rockthistownrecords.bandcamp...n-the-ground-2
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by herecomesaregular View Post
      Love this cover of one of his classic songs:

https://rockthistownrecords.bandcamp...n-the-ground-2
      Wow, yeah... thanks for this, it's a boxcar ride out of New Orleans to who knows where
      Keith Keith Keith Dublin herecomesaregular's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post

Agree re Rain Dogs, probably as I first heard him on Down By Law (just bought it again on Blu-ray).

0 Not allowed!
      My equal favourite songwriter (along with Randy Newman).

'Alice' is my favourite album, 'Kentucky Avenue', 'Ruby's Arms' or 'Fawn' favourite song.

Last edited by brakespear; 08-06-2018 at 22:52.
      'I’m big and I’m loud and I never let anybody know what I'm feeling. Sometimes it’s so difficult…I..I really like you, Halo' 'I like you too, Toy. You’re my best friend' 'Sure. Best friends. That’s what I meant.'
      'So put a church key in your pocket, we'll hop that freight train in the hall'
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Not a committed fan but have a live album that I love. He is a voice of the US that is so different than what is usually heard abroad, neither ecstatic nor vehement, but very human. He can also define an image so well “ she cracked her gum, then arched her back”. Not a melodic voice to sure, but a real one.