Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Scariest Films

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Having seen the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I sat down to watch the remake and found I just couldn’t do it. Turned off after just a couple of minutes at the thought of what was coming.

I still have the DVD but have never watched it. Can anyone confirm if it’s scarier than the original or not?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
American Werewolf in London scared me when I was a kid, Event Horizon put me on edge too.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Having seen the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I sat down to watch the remake and found I just couldn’t do it. Turned off after just a couple of minutes at the thought of what was coming.

I still have the DVD but have never watched it. Can anyone confirm if it’s scarier than the original or not?
No. It's shit.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The original version of 'The Haunting', never seen anything scarier.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Aren't there two types of scary films? First those that build up an atmosphere of dread and secondly those where sudden actions break the calm and scares the s**t out of you.
Incidentally praise should be given to the composers of the musical scores whose work is often not noticed but if not there would lessen the impact.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
So I read this https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/07/peter-bradshaw-scariest-films-ever-hereditary last night and thought Yes, I'll watch a scary film Friday night. Most of the films on the list I've seen, and to be honest, as good as some of them are, I wouldn't say they're "scary". Now I've just been annoyed by #18 Audition (Japanese, & odd), it got me wondering as to the last time I saw a film that really was genuinely "scary", and naturally I'd would like to prod the hive-mind of NSC and see what flops out.

The 3 for me that immediately spring to mind, recent first, are:

The Descent
Funny Games (German version)
Wolf Creek

I honestly cannot think of any other films that scared me/disturbed me/made me switch off half-way and turn the lights on for a restorative coffee and walk around the flat.

What am I missing?

The only 2 films that really scared me... sleep with the lights on scared... were Alien and American Werewolf in London. I was about 10 when I them but both really freaked me out.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Signs was a great film when that came out. Was expecting a standard UFO flick but turned out to be one that really made me think to myself afterwards. Few very well done scary moments.

The first Paranormal Activity was genius. Not everyone's cuppa tea but I loved it.

The Others with Nicole Kidman was done brilliantly. Tremendous twist.

I find it hard to find films that manage to scare me - but I always love it if they do. I can't stand it when they go overboard with the CGI or reveal the baddie too soon. Less is more for me. You don't need blood and guts and computer generated ghosts flying around the gaff. A decent score, good acting and an overall sense of dread is all that's required.

el punal

Signs was a great film when that came out. Was expecting a standard UFO flick but turned out to be one that really made me think to myself afterwards. Few very well done scary moments.

The first Paranormal Activity was genius. Not everyone's cuppa tea but I loved it.

The Others with Nicole Kidman was done brilliantly. Tremendous twist.

I find it hard to find films that manage to scare me - but I always love it if they do. I can't stand it when they go overboard with the CGI or reveal the baddie too soon. Less is more for me. You don't need blood and guts and computer generated ghosts flying around the gaff. A decent score, good acting and an overall sense of dread is all that's required.

Well said. :thumbsup:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This is a brilliant thread for me: it’ll give me a list of films to never watch - I bloody hate scary films, and avoid them at every opportunity. That said, I loved Alien and Jaws. No, I have no clue either.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Don't Look Now is atmospheric, slightly quirky with some magnificent tension.
A great film already, it is further is enhanced by some nudey prod scenes featuring Julie Christie.

Similar to the previously mentioned Funny Games, another dark film ruined by the Hollywood remake was The Vanishing aka Spoorloos

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As a teenage boy embarking on the lifelong journey towards trying to understand women, Roman Polanski's "Repulsion" set me back a few years and scared the living shits out of me.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
There's actually only a couple of films which made me pretty restless. Not hugely scary to most, but a bit freaky/watched them at the wrong age

The Shining
Arachnophobia (I swear that should have been a pg or 12 whatever it was). I dont mind spiders either, must be a horror for people that do

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
No such thing as a scary film in my opinion.
I don't do the blood and gore type film, not entertaining to me or the Mrs. I prefer psychological films, but I've yet to find one that really got under my skin.

Nightmare on elm Street was amazing in its day but don't watch it now, it's so comical that it ruined my childhood memories of it.
I love silent hill, but I'm a fan of the games.
Ringu (Japanese version of the ring) and ringu 0 are excellent, as is Ju-on (Japanese version of the grudge)
Event horizon was good, not sure how it holds up now.
Someone said It follows. Hands down one of the worst films I've ever seen. It's the benchmark for shit movies in my house.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have been enjoying the Conjouring series. Especially the second one. Re-ingnited my love for the horror genre.

Watched Annabelle Creation the other day and enjoyed it.

Not sure i was scared as such but was enjoying the tension.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
^ Tend to agree with Gabafella, all of the films mentioned above have their fair share of poor Amazon reviews (always worth looking at if you want to find a reason not to watch something imho).

The Conjuring, based on a true American house haunting is probably as good as it's got in recent years imho. Woman in Black and Paranormal Activity, both mentioned above, have some great moments in them, as does Salem's Lot.

Edit - BadFish just posted about The Conjuring while I was typing!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here