Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Scariest Films

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
So I read this https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/07/peter-bradshaw-scariest-films-ever-hereditary last night and thought Yes, I'll watch a scary film Friday night. Most of the films on the list I've seen, and to be honest, as good as some of them are, I wouldn't say they're "scary". Now I've just been annoyed by #18 Audition (Japanese, & odd), it got me wondering as to the last time I saw a film that really was genuinely "scary", and naturally I'd would like to prod the hive-mind of NSC and see what flops out.

The 3 for me that immediately spring to mind, recent first, are:

The Descent
Funny Games (German version)
Wolf Creek

I honestly cannot think of any other films that scared me/disturbed me/made me switch off half-way and turn the lights on for a restorative coffee and walk around the flat.

What am I missing?

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
The Ring (Japanese versh) was quite unnerving. I saw it many years ago. Another one that was disturbing rather than scary was the black comedy Man Bites Dog.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Midnight Express is a film I saw at the cinema in 1981/2 and will never watch again. Harrowing.

edit i don't like nasty shit - not scary, clever or funny

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The end of Carrie scared the shit out of me

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The end of Carrie scared the shit out of me

Think it was the original Friday the 13th at the end when the guy came out from the lake and grabbed the girl, near poop moment in the cinema.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Hereditary came out in the States today, will be going to see it tomorrow to see if it lives up to the hype.

The fact Toni Collette is in it is a definite plus.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Depends on your age. When i was a kid Jaws, Salem's Lot and the first nightmare on Elm street were scary. Also The Burning.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
So I read this https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/07/peter-bradshaw-scariest-films-ever-hereditary last night and thought Yes, I'll watch a scary film Friday night. Most of the films on the list I've seen, and to be honest, as good as some of them are, I wouldn't say they're "scary". Now I've just been annoyed by #18 Audition (Japanese, & odd), it got me wondering as to the last time I saw a film that really was genuinely "scary", and naturally I'd would like to prod the hive-mind of NSC and see what flops out.

The 3 for me that immediately spring to mind, recent first, are:

The Descent
Funny Games (German version)
Wolf Creek

I honestly cannot think of any other films that scared me/disturbed me/made me switch off half-way and turn the lights on for a restorative coffee and walk around the flat.

What am I missing?

I don't do scary stuff really, but I read this today and, before looking at it I had thought to myself "Don't Look Now". I saw it years ago (around 1980?) on the TV, and it is the only film that has ever kept me awake at night. Extremely well done.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
The Wickerman and Village of the damned I found quite scary at the time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Mrs LK was a little disturbed by Jeepers Creepers. I enjoyed it.

Barbie Mariposa was my scariest film. Pink psychedelic nightmare.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
The Legend of Hell House for me. Watched as a kid and it's stayed with me.
The atmospheric score does it.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Dead 'Grandpa' coming back to life as the girl is held captive is terrifying. The fear of the close up of her eyeballs is so well acted. In the end, escaping through a glass window is her only opportunity. She gets to the main road and is saved as 'Leatherface' saws off his own leg in frustration.

The Exorcist is seriously disturbing with the gradual worsening of the posession.

I couldn't watch those two films with the lights off. :eek:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Up the ante. I saw Threads when I was about 9 years old. At the time there was a serious chance of the cold war escalating to...... well, what happened in Threads.

It was on TV and my mum said that I could watch it because it was important that I understood the reality of what was happening in the world and the possible consequences. She had no idea how horrific it was actually going to be.

It scared the living f##k out of me. But on the positive side, I've never really been scared by a film since.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Hereditary came out in the States today, will be going to see it tomorrow to see if it lives up to the hype.

The fact Toni Collette is in it is a definite plus.

Just watched the trailer.... looks like it could be good, let us know what you think!

For me as a kid I’d plump for Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween... The Shining scared the shit out of me too. Struggle to watch them nowadays, I’m so jumpy in my older age it’s ridiculous. Too worried about picking up my drink in case of a scary bit and I end up wearing my glass of wine as I jump out of my skin! :eek:

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The Conjuring, It Follows, It, The Wailing and The Void.

A handful of horror films I've enjoyed recently and each with different qualities.

The Void is a "low budget" offering. Reminded me of Silent Hill and Event Horizon. Quite old school and creative with the art direction. Dark.

Give them a go anyway - Certainly worth a bash if you haven't seen them. Horror is such a tired and predictable genre these days but I'd argue each of these breathes a bit of fresh air back in to it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here