Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Top 22 British clubs for crowd numbers at a game

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can't be clicking through all that crap. Got a simple list you can post?

I clicked through it in no time, maybe there are four or five people on it now slowing it down :smile:

Anyway the biggest surprise was Queens Park who from memory were in the top five or so

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Can't be clicking through all that crap. Got a simple list you can post?

This should work better but it’s only for English clubs, the top few Scottish clubs had bigger record crowds though. Shame the link isn’t working as it had photos of the grounds, presumably around the time of the record crowds, which made it more interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_record_home_attendances_of_English_football_clubs

Scottish list

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_football_attendance_records

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Strangely enough I just clicked through without looking at any of the other comments.

Thoughts? Maybe the Argus website isn't so bad.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Use the Wiki page, much easier.

Striking how many of the record attendances were FA Cup ties. When people argue that the competition still has it's old magic, they really are choosing to completely ignore the past. The 5th and 6th round games would get as many people as they could cram in.

Picking some records out ....

The 48k at The (old Den, Millwall must have been an absolutely rocking atmosphere.

How funny that Man Utd's record attendance is not only a bit short of Man City's, but the fact that it was while Man Utd were having to play home games at Maine Road is just a beautiful irony.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Anyway the biggest surprise was Queens Park who from memory were in the top five or so

2nd! (as per the Wiki page)

It does help that they play at Hampden, and I'm guessing for a home game there was a ludicrous number of away (Rangers) fans in attendance that day.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
But Scotland and England are different leagues, so why link them together? Might as well include Spain and Germany.
Well, apart from the fact that it is a list of British record attendances and is not confined to league football - number 1 is Celtic vs Leeds...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, apart from the fact that it is a list of British record attendances
Is there a mainland Europe one? A Baltic's one? Who gives a shit about British record attendances? Probably some sad jock who's been trawling stat books looking for something they can say is good about monkey tennis.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Is there a mainland Europe one? A Baltic's one? Who gives a shit about British record attendances? Probably some sad jock who's been trawling stat books looking for something they can say is good about monkey tennis.

It was the Queens Park attendance that made me post the link because I was gobsmacked. I don’t know much about Scottish football but I thought that apart from about four clubs they all struggled to get as many as Gillingham do :smile:

The fact that Queens Park have had a much bigger attendance than any English club EVER is pretty impressive in my book :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was the Queens Park attendance that made me post the link because I was gobsmacked. I don’t know much about Scottish football but I thought that apart from about four clubs they all struggled to get as many as Gillingham do :smile:

The fact that Queens Park have had a much bigger attendance than any English club EVER is pretty impressive in my book :shrug:
But in the link you posted, they're in 42nd place?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_record_home_attendances_of_English_football_clubs

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are you being deliberately disingenuous by suggesting I said QPR rather than the Scottish club Queens Park :rolleyes:
Oh no, sorry, I assumed you meant QPR. I haven't seen the Scottish list.

Right, seen it.

So top of the list was Rangers Celtic, and second on the list was Queens Park Rangers :)

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
U OK hun? As previously mentioned, the biggest crowd was to watch Leeds...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here