Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Winter Break from 2019

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Not quite sure how it is going to work, or when exactly in the season it will be.

Will the season be extended by a week, or is playing an FA Cup round mid week supposed to free up a replacement weekend?

Staggering the break weekend presumably ensures no TV money is lost, but also therefore means no Saturday 3pm matches those weekends.

No doubt Man U will fit in a match in China anyway.

Perennial question, is this to benefit the Clubs, the players or, most unlikely, the fans?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
And we'll see just how much of a "break" these precious players need, or indeed, get. Or will this just be a window in the season that clubs will use as a marketing exercise. Claim it is "warm weather training" but actually the players come back seized up, and jet-lagged from flying halfway round the World to train and play a couple of friendlies in front of the latest market the money men at the clubs want to break into, or expand.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
The season won't be extended they will attempt to reduce the number of clubs in The Premier League.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And we'll see just how much of a "break" these precious players need, or indeed, get. Or will this just be a window in the season that clubs will use as a marketing exercise. Claim it is "warm weather training" but actually the players come back seized up, and jet-lagged from flying halfway round the World to train and play a couple of friendlies in front of the latest market the money men at the clubs want to break into, or expand.

And get up to things like stealing a taxi ....

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
My take on this is over a 4-5 week period the clubs will take staggered breaks, so one weekend a few clubs will not play for a couple of matches then some other clubs do the same etc, etc. I suppose the clubs that started the first weekend will have to play each other when they start playing again otherwise it won't be fair on the clubs still playing. I think this is how I read it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here