Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Anthony Bourdain

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wow - always liked his shows. He did always have a hint of 'troubled soul' about him though. RIP.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
He produced great TV shows - thinking of No Reservations. Ostensibly about food, but also fine travel shows in their own right.

One of his sayings was, as he tucked into some fine food, "Life does not suck". Maybe it did. RIP.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Incredibly sad to hear this. I absolutely love Kitchen Confidential - certainly one of my top three books ever - and A Cook's Tour was also a mighty fine read. He once produced a hilarious cookbook in which he asserted it was fine to boil lobsters alive because they were basically "big dumb bugs" and that anyone who couldn't roast a chicken should hang up their apron and give up.

Always outspoken, by turns libertarian and just liberal (famously supporting #MeToo and eating back street food with Obama, both mentioned on the BBC suicide story) I loved his books precisely because they were so macho. When it comes to culinary entertainment I want a guy who's possibly high on various substances outdoor grilling meat in the backstreets of some God forsaken hole - not middle class women baking in a tent.

This makes me incredibly sad. Time to re-read Kitchen Confidential. Thanks Tony.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
OMG what a terrible loss. Such a great entertainer, really down to earth and never happier than when being 'one of the lads'. Will miss his stuff

RIP

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I had the very real pleasure of meeting him briefly on a couple of occasions in New York and in San Francisco. A really generous, likeable and infinitely interesting man. A sad loss.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Absolutely gutted, he was a total legend.

Loved any show he did and his book Kitchen Confidential I must have read at least ten times and never get bored of it having worked in the industry, sometimes Id just sit down and read the 'Day In The Life' chapter!!

Hes fiction books were also pretty good and the Les Halles cookbook is superb for traditional brasserie recipes, love the veal escalope dish(must cook soon!!).

RIP Tony

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
He enjoyed a fried cheese sandwich in Prague. Doubted his credentials after that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He enjoyed a fried cheese sandwich in Prague. Doubted his credentials after that.

Ah, that takes me back. When I first went to Prague, it was very hard to find anything vegetarian. I pretty much lived off smažený sýr for several days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here