Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] dealing with depression

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
i have always been able to shrug my moods off and dispel them in the knowledge that everything is temporary , had the odd spell where i didn't want to get out of the pit for days but just did it .....having just been diagnosed with prostate cancer i am now spinning out ....i have a fantastic wife and 2 beautiful kids and i am shitting myself .....worse than my darkest mood but in a strange way i've never felt more alive .....very strange headspace i'm in right now, not depressed , something else.

Bugger me that's shit. All the best. (for what it's worth, which I accept isn't much)

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
Agreed. When we get knocked out of the World Cup I will be depressed, disappointed and possibly angry. For the following few days I will be quite upset, miserable and deeply pissed off. But then I'll get over it. I would certainly never say "I've got depression"; that would be hugely insulting to all the people with genuine problems who've posted on this thread (and others).

Absolutely. Depression is a life-threatening mental illness. Your emotions after your team have been beaten , are normal ( in the main ) You generally won’t end up thinking that the people who love you , and are closest to you ,would be better off if you were dead.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Serious post.

I've spent most of today in bed. Not being lazy, Just could not face getting up, and/or going to work.

Usually it's just a drag, but I used to be able to snap out of it. This feels different. I've been like this for a few days now. It sucks.

I thought it might have been caused by (unrelated) health issue, but think that may have just been the tipping point.

Work has always been busy, but in the past few months, I have felt out of my depth- like a robot, unappreciated, clinging on, isolated by various changes.

Has anyone gone through this? How did it occur? What help did you get?

BTW, I am safe- No harmful thoughts. I have seen my doctor, and may well do again.

you will be well again ....and that's a fact , life is full of ups and downs , some get them worse than others , just accept that you can't be on top of your game all the time..

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I think in this case you're confusing the word "depressed" for "disappointed". Is it possible to feel depressed on somebody else's behalf? Disappointed maybe.

I'm actually feeling depressed that Aussie fans will be sent over a tipping point into depression because their national socceroos lost in the Group round of the WC. You are correct. I'm a sad case of mental empathy fatigue.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
.......Spending mental energy in despair at uncontrollable events in the wider world, can wait. Then you make more of an impact for the better, that you would imagine......

All the best.

I realise my post was a bit of an incoherent and cryptic ramble but just to clarify, the uncontrollable events I was referring to weren't happening in the wider world but are much closer and more personally affecting. Thanks for your response though.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
What it is to love football.......

How my mental illness helped me rediscover what it is to love football.

It was at secondary school where I first encountered any significant dislike of football – not surprising at a rugby-playing grammar that lists multiple England internationals among its alumni, but a rather alien concept to me nonetheless.

My 12-year-old self’s overt obsession with the round-ball game didn’t go down too well with everyone, and one particularly confrontational classmate’s question has stuck with me. “Does your life revolve around football?”

I don’t recall my response, but he could ask me again now – and I wouldn’t feel sad in answering with a firm “yes”, either.

Seeing the light

Football – or more specifically, Wycombe Wanderers – serves as an immovable cornerstone of my life today. That hasn’t constantly been the case, but it took struggling with my mental health for me to see that my love had diminished.

I’ve been going to watch Wycombe since I was eight, and had a season ticket at Adams Park for several years, but I stopped being a regular sometime during the 2009/10 campaign. For a 15-year-old back then, following your local team wasn’t exactly cool, and my baseless fondness for Liverpool – which I construed as ‘support’ in my complicated, developing mind – took precedence.

Sure, I continued to attend occasional Wanderers games, but I no longer had a seat to call my own. Do I regret it? Looking back now and after what I’ve been through, definitely.

Inspiring stuff :)

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...ver-what-it-love-football#1FlKBgEbyxjAYJB0.99

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here