Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617 LastLast
    Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The game apart, I thought it was a fantastic atmosphere at ER last night, especially as it was only a friendly. Shame the band was there, but other than that, the ground was raucous and noisy throughout, and gave the team a great sendoff.

This is exactly why I have no issue whatsoever with Wembley being sold, if that eventually goes through. Taking England's autumn/winter Internationals around the country to club stadiums is absolutely what we should do, especially for qualifiers. We've got so many great stadiums dotted around the country where (when it really matters) a tremendous atmosphere can be generated, FAR better than the sterile, corporate, distant feel of Wembley. More England games at Elland Road, St James Park, Hillsborough, Villa Park, Stadium of Light etc would be BRILL.
    I'm with you apart from Hillsborough which is a tottering dump that needs about £30m spending on it just to make it half decent. Even Wednesday fans (the sensible ones) agree.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      I'm with you apart from Hillsborough which is a tottering dump that needs about £30m spending on it just to make it half decent. Even Wednesday fans (the sensible ones) agree.
      Fair play, a bit of a dump these days. But there's still something I like about that. Imagine England, in a final game World Cup qualifier, needing to turn over (say) Croatia to reach the Finals. Where would you rather that was played - at a full house Wembley, complete with the corporate centre-tier "ring of indifference" and a 90k crowd chock-full of tourists and happy-clappers. Or at a seething, baying 40k crowd at ramshackle old Hillsborough, right on top of the pitch, breathing down the teams necks.

No brainer.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
      A different kind of pasty pasty's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by blue-shifted View Post
      Look at your wallchart and re-post your message
      Read Poland, typed Portugal
      And coming on for Manchester United, Zlatan Ibrahimović
      WHO?
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Fair play, a bit of a dump these days. But there's still something I like about that. Imagine England, in a final game World Cup qualifier, needing to turn over (say) Croatia to reach the Finals. Where would you rather that was played - at a full house Wembley, complete with the corporate centre-tier "ring of indifference" and a 90k crowd chock-full of tourists and happy-clappers. Or at a seething, baying 40k crowd at ramshackle old Hillsborough, right on top of the pitch, breathing down the teams necks.

No brainer.
      Yeah but my point was that it's such a shithole at the moment that you can't get 40k in there as they've had to reduce the capacity to about 33,000 on safety grounds.

Even the Sheffield United "sell out" last season was under 33k.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      By this logic, no chance Germany are winning the WC, as they lost 2-1 to Austria the other day. Spain drew with Switzerland as well so rule them out. Anyone else?
      Whereas tournament favourites Brazil played Russia in the Luzhniki Stadium, cuffed them 3-0, then beat Germany 4 days later in Berlin and put down another marker.

I happen to think that the likes of Brazil, Germany and Spain are mentally tougher than England because they've had success in tournaments, they routinely reach the last 4 and know what it takes to progress.

For England to reach that level somehow that mentality has to change. 4 years ago our two pre-World Cup friendlies were a 2-2 draw vs Ecuador and a 0-0 vs Honduras, so the writing was on the wall when we went into that tournament. This time things are more encouraging.
      "Intercluderent aut mori"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      Whereas tournament favourites Brazil played Russia in the Luzhniki Stadium, cuffed them 3-0, then beat Germany 4 days later in Berlin and put down another marker.

I happen to think that the likes of Brazil, Germany and Spain are mentally tougher than England because they've had success in tournaments, they routinely reach the last 4 and know what it takes to progress.

For England to reach that level somehow that mentality has to change. 4 years ago our two pre-World Cup friendlies were a 2-2 draw vs Ecuador and a 0-0 vs Honduras, so the writing was on the wall when we went into that tournament. This time things are more encouraging.
      Totally agree on your overall point there. I think we have a huge mental block when it comes to tournaments.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post

It's about expectations as well isn't it. The sides you mentioned all have genuine chances of winning the tournament. Par for us is 2nd Round at this one

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by spring hall convert View Post
      It's about expectations as well isn't it. The sides you mentioned all have genuine chances of winning the tournament. Par for us is 2nd Round at this one
      I'd say England exiting to Poland, Colombia, Senegal or Japan would be decidedly poor, not par.

The way this draw pans out, Quarter-Final is a minimum this summer. Anything short of that will be (another) fail.

0 Not allowed!
      I'd say England exiting to Poland, Colombia, Senegal or Japan would be decidedly poor, not par.

The way this draw pans out, Quarter-Final is a minimum this summer. Anything short of that will be (another) fail.
      Agree on any of those bar Colombia. On their day, easily capable of beating us. Decent side, them.

We should make quarters (but no further if it's Brazil or Germany as expected), but getting to 2nd round playing decent football wouldn't be horrendous compared to our recent tournaments.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      Agree on any of those bar Colombia. On their day, easily capable of beating us. Decent side, them.

We should make quarters (but no further if it's Brazil or Germany as expected), but getting to 2nd round playing decent football wouldn't be horrendous compared to our recent tournaments.
      It wouldn't be a walk in the park against Colombia, and were we playing them in South American conditions my arsecheeks would most certainly be more tightly clenched. They're no mugs. Look, we've lost to Iceland, so we're capable of losing to anyone. But I'd be reasonably confident of getting the better of Colombia, and if we didn't, that would be pretty piss-poor IMO.

We'll rarely get a better path of opportunity towards the sharp end of the tournament than this.