Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The game apart, I thought it was a fantastic atmosphere at ER last night, especially as it was only a friendly. Shame the band was there, but other than that, the ground was raucous and noisy throughout, and gave the team a great sendoff.

This is exactly why I have no issue whatsoever with Wembley being sold, if that eventually goes through. Taking England's autumn/winter Internationals around the country to club stadiums is absolutely what we should do, especially for qualifiers. We've got so many great stadiums dotted around the country where (when it really matters) a tremendous atmosphere can be generated, FAR better than the sterile, corporate, distant feel of Wembley. More England games at Elland Road, St James Park, Hillsborough, Villa Park, Stadium of Light etc would be BRILL.
    Indeed. I don't think I saw a single Mexican Wave last night, which I think the daytrippers and tourists who make up Wembley crowds actually go for rather than the football.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      Believe it or not, mindsets can be changed due to circumstances. Friendlies and warm ups, are just that. I'm sure the coaches can get the team fired up in the tournament. It's just another excuse for a moan. If you check the score, we did win, 2-0.
      When I posted my original quote the game was 62 minutes old, we had dominated it yet were only 1-0 up. Good teams are ruthless, which is why it was heartening not just to see England grab a second goal but also keep on pressing until the final whistle.

Teams that coast tend to panic when things go bad in tournament play. England have been guilty of this in the past - switching off and allowing the Russians a late equaliser, shitting our pants against Iceland. What Southgate appears to have got right with this squad is a high level of intensity and a general positivity about the playing style.

There's no doubt we lack quality in midfield but the team don't look to be burdened by expectation as we've done in the past. Whether or not they'll be so comfortable under the glare of the spotlight when they arrive in Russia remains to be seen.
      "Intercluderent aut mori"
      A different kind of pasty pasty's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      I'm really looking forward to the World Cup. I've no real expectations for a start, but we really should get out of the group, and will get a round of 16 tie against one of Portugal, Senegal, Colombia or Japan. If we win our respective groups, we should avoid Portugal, so would hope to get to 1/4 finals at least. Then who knows.......?
      And coming on for Manchester United, Zlatan Ibrahimović
      WHO?

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kinky Gerbils View Post
      This England squad is nowhere near as bad as people like to moan about it being
      Yup. Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting much but we appear to have the most technically gifted and focused squad we've had in a long time and a manager not cowed by reputation who is willing to play a system that suits the players at his disposal rather than trying to shoehorn them into a tactical strait-jacket.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sir albion View Post
      the future looks bleak !!!
      Did you miss our youth level results last year? I'm sure I'll be corrected if I have this wrong but didn't the U-17's, U-18's & U-19's win their respective tournaments with the U-21's making a semi final?

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BN41Albion View Post
      He handles the media better than any England manager i remember too. Very professional and honest. What's not to like about his tenure so far?
      I don't think it hurts that he has seen the absolute lowest of the low as far as international football goes. He can stand in front of those players and say wholeheartedly - 'what have you got to be scared of, go out and play.'

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      When I posted my original quote the game was 62 minutes old, we had dominated it yet were only 1-0 up. Good teams are ruthless, which is why it was heartening not just to see England grab a second goal but also keep on pressing until the final whistle.

Teams that coast tend to panic when things go bad in tournament play. England have been guilty of this in the past - switching off and allowing the Russians a late equaliser, shitting our pants against Iceland. What Southgate appears to have got right with this squad is a high level of intensity and a general positivity about the playing style.

There's no doubt we lack quality in midfield but the team don't look to be burdened by expectation as we've done in the past. Whether or not they'll be so comfortable under the glare of the spotlight when they arrive in Russia remains to be seen.
      Would you be ruthess one week before a big match, in a friendly, where you are a squad member and not wanting to get injured?
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      Teams that have that mindset do not win world cups.

I don't think I have seen the All Blacks mail in a performance ever, regardless of whether the match is competitive or a friendly.
      By this logic, no chance Germany are winning the WC, as they lost 2-1 to Austria the other day. Spain drew with Switzerland as well so rule them out. Anyone else?
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      The game apart, I thought it was a fantastic atmosphere at ER last night, especially as it was only a friendly. Shame the band was there, but other than that, the ground was raucous and noisy throughout, and gave the team a great sendoff.
      This. The fans being CLOSE to the pitch gave it a proper retro feel, sounded great. Can only help the players.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by pasty View Post
      I'm really looking forward to the World Cup. I've no real expectations for a start, but we really should get out of the group, and will get a round of 16 tie against one of Portugal, Senegal, Colombia or Japan. If we win our respective groups, we should avoid Portugal, so would hope to get to 1/4 finals at least. Then who knows.......?
      Look at your wallchart and re-post your message