Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Button for £4m? [Now: signed]

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
To say I’m underwhelmed with the two goalkeeping signings would be an understatement.

However I do trust Roberts who seems to get the best out of all the keepers he has worked with.

I can’t imagine it’s an easy sell to get a keeper to come here when they know Mat Ryan is going to be ahead of you and not going to get much game time.... the fact we have lost two keepers this summer shows that.

Probaby hit the nail on the head there.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Steele signed for 3 years

So he did, must have misread.

In any case, does this block the route for Walton? Presumably ultimately we would rather loan or sell the 4th choice on but if they're locked into a 3 year contract with very little game time to show for it, it may be easier said than done.

I honestly would have thought the most sensible option for the backup goalie would have been to use one of our loan spots, but perhaps its a hard sell to ask a club to loan out their promising goalie on the basis of only 5-6 definite games while Ryan is in the Asia Cup.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Two very average keepers signed. Premier league quality ? I have major doubts.

In August/Sept last year, loads of NSC'ers wrote off Ryan as a joke.

A lot of us lamented the departure of Stockdale.

My instinct is to trust the transfer business quartet, and the deep analysis carried out before making moves. They've had a good run of getting most decisions right.

The trouble with proven alternatves such as Ben Foster and Fabianski is that clubs like Watford and West Ham will pay silly wages to get their man. The Albion have to cater for possible relegation and not upset squad harmony.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
In August/Sept last year, loads of NSC'ers wrote off Ryan as a joke.

A lot of us lamented the departure of Stockdale.

My instinct is to trust the transfer business quartet, and the deep analysis carried out before making moves. They've had a good run of getting most decisions right.

The trouble with proven alternatves such as Ben Foster and Fabianski is that clubs like Watford and West Ham will pay silly wages to get their man. The Albion have to cater for possible relegation and not upset squad harmony.

Well i hope you are right. I cannot see us paying 4 million either for Button to be number 2/3. Just can't see it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
With all due respect, Maenpaa and Krul were hardly regulars with their respective international sides. Maenpaa has played 26 times with his last being a solitary game in the 2016 season and Krul has 8 caps with his last being in 2015.

They may not have been regulars but they were full internationals. Krul went to and played part of the 2014 World Cup, he was also a first choice keeper for a PL team for several seasons. That is still streets ahead of anything Button or Steele have achieved.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Well i hope you are right. I cannot see us paying 4 million either for Button to be number 2/3. Just can't see it.
Matt Ryan is our first choice goalkeeper. There’s absolutely no doubt about that so he will be number 2 unless Ryan suffers a big loss of form or has an injury. But I think in any case, isn't Ryan due to go off and play in the Asian Cup or something after Christmas. In which case Button will get an opportunity to play then as well as in cup games. A £4 million quid transfer in the Premier League doesn’t sound like a lot to me.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Given that Button has signed a 3 year deal and Steele a 2 year deal, potentially with Walton coming into the picture next season we would have 4 first team goalkeepers on the books.

I understand your enthusiasm for Walton, but I have a sneaking suspicion Sanchez is going to hit the first team before Walton.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I understand your enthusiasm for Walton, but I have a sneaking suspicion Sanchez is going to hit the first team before Walton.

Well you are wrong Steve. Walton has already hit the first team

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

I have a good feeling about Sanchez but I think he isn't anywhere near first team. He played first half on friday in a 6-6 draw against Weston super Mare. He conceded the first 3 goals.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Andy Pope? Nick's brother?

Performs miracles in goal:

8FDD297A-C6AD-4600-ADFB-DB78D3F703DB.png

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Wonder how Walton's going to see this, He must have been expecting to challenge Ryan for the first team in 19/20 but will now wonder if he'll be 3rd choice keeper still then

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm sure we gave him loads of abuse a Brentford three years ago when he pretended to be injured and got one of our players booked

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Welcome David. I presume you will be our backup keeper, and give our Matty a run for his money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here