Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Button for £4m? [Now: signed]

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ryan could be away for up to 7-8 games if Australia get the squad together in late December.

Surely enough for Walton ? ???

Not quite 46 league games is it ? And bit of a long wait to get any game time.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
From what I saw of Walton last year he looks very capable of challenging Matty. Would be a waste of 4 Million if we took Button.
League 1 v different to the exposure of a Premier League relegation battle. A season in the Championship at places like Villa Park and Elland Road would be perfect for his development.
Ryan could be away for up to 7-8 games if Australia get the squad together in late December.

Surely enough for Walton ? ???
Think i saw someone work it out as a maximum of 3 Albion games??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
League 1 v different to the exposure of a Premier League relegation battle. A season in the Championship at places like Villa Park and Elland Road would be perfect for his development.Think i saw someone work it out as a maximum of 3 Albion games??

3 games must be a minimum - with Australia crashing out early, and assumes Australia don't get together before the tournament.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
3 games must be a minimum - with Australia crashing out early, and assumes Australia don't get together before the tournament.
Just checked. Oz first game 6th Jan. If they reach final 29th Jan.

So probably 5 games including Liverpool and Man United. Maybe less. Don't think we'll be feeding Walton to the lions tbh.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Is this guy any good?
Wasn’t first choice at Fulham
Is he good enough to compete with Matty?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is this guy any good?
Plenty will drive him here, but not as many as had their burning torches and pitchforks out for Steele.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Is this guy any good?

I think the answer is we have to trust the scouting team and Ben Roberts. On paper, Steele and probably Button don't look like great back up options but the scouting team have been brilliant over the last few years and I am confident they've seen something in Steele and Button that can be worked on to make them solid back up options

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Wasn’t Maty Ryan thought to be not good enough by some, before he proved he definitely was good enough?

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Bizarre signing - my Fulham ST holding mate blamed him for there poor start! Really don’t understand why we’re paying big money for him?? Let’s hope Ryan doesn’t get injured

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bizarre signing - my Fulham ST holding mate blamed him for there poor start! Really don’t understand why we’re paying big money for him?? Let’s hope Ryan doesn’t get injured
I reckon we are not paying big money. Our Carson bid appears to have focussed some minds on being more realistic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So can we add it to the list of all the other bizarre signings?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

On paper, I agree with you. It does seem odd. However, our scouting team have unearthed qualities in players that others have missed and The Argus say we've been chasing him for a while so we clearly rate him.

As for big money, even if it is the £4 million already quoted, that is not big money. It is absolutely nothing in the Premier League context. As others have said, I doubt it'll end up being that much anyway.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think the answer is we have to trust the scouting team and Ben Roberts. On paper, Steele and probably Button don't look like great back up options but the scouting team have been brilliant over the last few years and I am confident they've seen something in Steele and Button that can be worked on to make them solid back up options

Regardless of the Sunderland fans opinion, over the years i’ve been a lot more impressed with Steele than i have Button.

Not a good signing IMO, but as you say trust the scouting team and Roberts.

I think under Roberts, Steele will regain his confidence and surprise any doubters given the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi

Poor starts are never down to one player, I trust our goalkeeping team and the one thing you can guarantee is they will have the right temperament and will be a good fit. In a perfect world when Ryan comes back in January from the Asia Cup he will have to fight tooth and nail to get his place back. Our history with Fulham keepers is not to bad either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here