Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Button for £4m? [Now: signed]

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I’d be amazed if we pay that. Better back ups available for less money than that. Particularly as this back up is guaranteed some league game time in January.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Interest in Krull from Barcelona, out of contract, so that's him gone. Nothing we can offer will match benching at Barcelona.
Walton and BHA want him playing Championship with Wigan and that is better for him and us than benching with Albion.
Button is experienced keeper cover and if Roberts is happy, Hughton will take him on board. Must admit the fee seems a bit steep, but hey, nothing really for us to discuss here.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Interest in Krull from Barcelona, out of contract, so that's him gone. Nothing we can offer will match benching at Barcelona.
Walton and BHA want him playing Championship with Wigan and that is better for him and us than benching with Albion.
Button is experienced keeper cover and if Roberts is happy, Hughton will take him on board. Must admit the fee seems a bit steep, but hey, nothing really for us to discuss here.

Do we know that Krul has gone yet? Interest in a player is one thing, them actually signing him is quite another. In the report that l ead Barca were interested in several keepers, not just Krul.

We won't be signing any newe keepers until, or unless, he is confirmed as leaving the club.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Do we know that Krul has gone yet? Interest in a player is one thing, them actually signing him is quite another. In the report that l ead Barca were interested in several keepers, not just Krul.

We won't be signing any newe keepers until, or unless, he is confirmed as leaving the club.

He is out of contract and it's been 2-3 weeks without any news that he has resigned for another season or two... therefore I'd say its a done deal he's going, the only question is where and who replaces him.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Won't happen

Just The Goalkeeper is the one position where CH always sticks to experience.

At Newcastle he had 2 excellent keepers who were well thought of in their youth and who went on to be Internationals and ne didn't play them - Krull and Fraser Foster. They both went out on loan

At Birmingham he had similar with Jack Butland and didn't play him.

It just seems to be a position where he doesn't take as many chances with the youngsters and to be honest I sort of agree with it because you could be sitting at 0 - 0 agaist a relegation rival and a howler by the keeper costs you 3 points. The stakes are just too high now and thats why you need an experienced back up keeper because I think Maty Ryan's mistakes lessened when Tim Krull came in as back up.

Worked well for Burnley with Pope, surely not too much difference with the two clubs and keepers. Walton is no longer inexperienced having had seasons with Luton and Wigan respectively.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Worked well for Burnley with Pope, surely not too much difference with the two clubs and keepers. Walton is no longer inexperienced having had seasons with Luton and Wigan respectively.

Fair comment, but a season in the Championship is very different gravy. Will toughen him up no end.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He is out of contract and it's been 2-3 weeks without any news that he has resigned for another season or two... therefore I'd say its a done deal he's going, the only question is where and who replaces him.

Believe it or not, last summer the club didn't announce that Maenpaa was staying until July 14.

I have no idea if either Krul or Maenpaa (or both) are staying, but the lack of an announcement so far doesn't yet mean anything.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It's pointless having up and coming youngsters if they're not given a chance and I'd like to think we're that sort of club when we have March and Dunk playing.
Give the lad the crack he deserves and don't waste 4 million on a pile of shite :)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Irrespective of the reasoning this is about as uninspiring as it gets, isn't it?

Also £4m seems an awful lot of money...

If you wanna sit at the table with the ''Big Boys'' you gotta open your wallet and put yer ''chips'' down on the table

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m with the coaching staff on this. If they don’t want to put Walton in a position where he will have to play a lot of games when Ryan is away that could be the difference between staying up and a relegation fight I’m happy to trust them, rather than buy into the hype (although justifiable) of a player we’ve not seen and hasn’t played above League One standard

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As Fulham are newly promoted, and allegedly want to get rid of DB, why the hell do we want their offcasts?
Surely we can do better!!

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I’m with the coaching staff on this. If they don’t want to put Walton in a position where he will have to play a lot of games when Ryan is away that could be the difference between staying up and a relegation fight I’m happy to trust them, rather than buy into the hype (although justifiable) of a player we’ve not seen and hasn’t played above League One standard

Apart from his three games (conceding one goal in total) in the Championship, for Brighton, of course

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Apart from his three games (conceding one goal in total) in the Championship, for Brighton, of course

If we signed a player who had made 3 experiences in the Championship, would we call him a championship player or league one (or wherever he spent the majority of his career)

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
If we signed a player who had made 3 experiences in the Championship, would we call him a championship player or league one (or wherever he spent the majority of his career)

Sure.

But you said he’d never played above L1. He has. For us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Krul goes, is there really a problem with Nicky Maenpaa being our back-up keeper? He was before Krul came in to up our HGP quota.

OK, I trust the recruitment team (and Hughton and Roberts) and £4M is a mere drop of the extra £100M or so we're getting these days, but £4M is still a lot of money if we don't really need to spend it.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Only reason I can see to spend money on a back up is if the player in questions wages (and different signing fee) will be 4m total less over the course of the contract than signing a free transfer.

It's clearly an advantage to find a back-up who is a HGP though.

On the Walton issue I think playing an entire season in the Champ is better for him than playing 3 or 4 cup games and 4 EPL games while Ryan is away. Even if he did stay as the back-up, you need a 3rd senior keeper and I can't see Sanchez or the even younger English kid being ready yet.

Walton's good enough to be compared to our recent back-ups but it might not be the best thing for his development.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here