Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] John Noakes : cleaning nelson's column

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Magnificent telly. What a great presenter Noakes was.

Before my time but I remember it being repeated a number of times when I was a kid.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Get down, Shep.

The nasty BBC wouldn't let him keep Shep when he stopped recording his programmes, as they said Shep belonged to the corporation, rather than John.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I remember thinking at the time about how sick I felt at the bit at the top where he has to go up and out on a ladder secured by rope.

Well done John.

rope.JPG

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Incredible, all in the name of children's TV.

Dressed in normal cloths and footwear, no protection and then hangs on a piece of wood with a simple knot in the rope holding him, oh by the way don't loosen it too much. Sod that!

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Geez! - I can't even watch that now!
Me too. Even glancing at the blurry still of the ladders makes me feel quite unwell.

I really don't understand anyone's comfort with taking potentially fatal risks with height when it could be easily avoided. I guess that's why he was John Noakes and I'm not...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Get down, Shep.

The nasty BBC wouldn't let him keep Shep when he stopped recording his programmes, as they said Shep belonged to the corporation, rather than John.

They did let him keep Shep, but refused to cover the costs of owning Shep as they had when they appeared on Blue Peter. As Noakes couldn't use Shep in any advertising deals he complained to the BBC, the BBC refused to change their stance and Shep went to live with someone else shortly after.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Me too. Even glancing at the blurry still of the ladders makes me feel quite unwell.

I really don't understand anyone's comfort with taking potentially fatal risks with height when it could be easily avoided. I guess that's why he was John Noakes and I'm not..

There is a photograph somewhere (I can't find it on t'internet) of Brighton station about 130 years ago. The girders in the roof are being painted, and the painters are up there on ladders tied together end on, with no-one at the bottom to hold the ladder, just passengers milling around it in the middle of the platform! Scary - and I daresay they didn't get paid a fraction of what Noakes got!

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Amazing to see the bloke who was with him who was sitting on the Bosuns chair towards the end, without a 'safety' rope like John had shovelling out the guano with one hand whilst holding a cigarette in the other! Theres a lot of rubbish done in the name of health and safety but I think this is definitely one case where bringing it in is justified!

Well done to the cameraman too!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1134036730804408321[/tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
He had to do that climb twice. The first time the sound man was accidentally not recording.

Really?

They guy was a legend of 1970's kids telly, like no other. Then came Simon Groom and it all went downhill...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here