Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Undertakers overtakers
Wondering free
The Wonderers of simpleton
Common are we

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
No point whatsoever in overtaking a hearse or cortege as death will always catch up anyway !

Totally agree about the lack of respect though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ive been to two funerals in the last couple of years where the church service has been followed by cremation at Worthing. My aunts in Lancing, and a cousin in Henfield. Both times we were overtaken by loads of vehicles when on dual carriageway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wouldn't happen on a bicycle.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Half the drivers on the road are generally clueless or oblivious to laws or etiquette on the road, so nothing surprises me

Too True.
It never ceases to amaze me the complete lack of etiquette on the roads. You leave a sensible space between you and the car in front and some twunt cuts into the gap, no indication, forcing you to brake. They swerve in and out of moving traffic, on dual carriageways and motorways, undertaking and overtaking in equal measure. As you are taking the correct line through roundabouts, they sail right round the outside and as you indicate for your exit, they are suddenly on your inside, causing you to brake suddenly.
They overtake in built up areas, irrespective of schools, crossings, bollards etc. You join a queue to exit a major road and they come steaming up on the outside and force themselves in at the last moment. They overtake on semi-blind bends, brows of hills and dips in the road. One minute they are on your outside, next, they have cut across your bows and are exiting on the nearside.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was overtaken by a hearse on the motorway near Port Talbot a few years back.

On the question of respect, last year I was in the car following a hearse with a friend en route to her father's funeral. As the car moved through the busy streets in Wood Green a large number of people on the street out shopping made a bowing gesture and crossed themselves as the hearse passed. It was actually quite moving.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Unfortunately it seems respect is a thing of the past and no longer given by far too many in todays world.

Long gone are the days when pedestrians would stop when a hearse went by, and bowed in respect.

I always bow my head if a hearse drives by. I don't ever remember being asked/told to do it as a kid, just out of respect.
I also remember when my cousin and I were about 14, we were walking through a graveyard that people had smashed the headstones and everything was a total mess so we spent a couple of hours cleaning it up as best we could. I'd imagine the 'yoof' of today would much rather put you in a grave than tidy one out of respect.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sadly this sort of thing will only get worse. I used to see the odd idiot on the roads but now it seems far more frequent. I think the lack of police on the road lets them think they can get away with anything, unfortunately, it is true.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I wouldn't overtake a hearse myself but unless someone cut into the procession I happened to be in, I wouldn't be pissed off about it. Life goes on for everyone else.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Ive been to two funerals in the last couple of years where the church service has been followed by cremation at Worthing. My aunts in Lancing, and a cousin in Henfield. Both times we were overtaken by loads of vehicles when on dual carriageway.

I can’t see anything wrong in overtaking a hearse on a motorway or dual carriageway tbh.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can’t see anything wrong in overtaking a hearse on a motorway or dual carriageway tbh.

Exactly my thoughts. The hearse was driving from Lancing to Worthing at such a pace, I nearly lost touch with it.
The Henfield one did drive from the church & up the High Street at walking pace, but once clear, drove at normal speed.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Years ago, I was riding shotgun with my then brother-in-law, prob about 30, so he knew rights and wrongs - or so I thought.

So we found ourselves behind a hearse and the official cars following. He decided to overtake, then realised he couldn't get past all of them, so he pulled in-between two of the cars, causing unnecessary breaking, and stress for the occupants. My reaction was to duck out of site - i just couldn't take the association-shame!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Honestly think the theory test hasn't done anything to improve driving standards and instead to pass your driving test you need to have done a certain amounts of hours behind the wheel with an instructor; bit like a pilot has to do a certain amount of hours flight time before they get their license. Then every 10 years you need to be retested. So many people seem to turn into the most inconsiderate twunts behind a steering wheel and can't stand the slightest bit of inconvenience such as having to slow down for a funeral cortege.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here