Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Aston Villa

0 Not allowed!
    Was it not Rod Thomas who made that amazing save in front of app 1100 fans on a cold winters night against Plymouth?
    برايتون حتى أموت

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Rod Thomas was MUSTARD

(Pebble).
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
      Members James Bond's body double's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Rod Thomas was MUSTARD

(Pebble).
      Never rated Rod Thomas myself.
      Everyday above ground is a good day!
      Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Braggfan View Post
      I always think you speak a lot of sense on here, but I recall Rod Thomas’s time with us differently. For me he was without doubt a shining light at Gillingham during dark times. During a time when we signed a lot of dross, he was by far and away our best signing for a few years. There was a spell at Gillingham when he and Minton linked up amazingly and for a little while pushed us to within reach of the playoffs (it all went wrong when Horton left and we lost 8 or 9 on the trot under Wood). He got injured, (ankle ligaments I seem to recall) and missed a chunk of games, mainly during that rotten run. All of that was prior to Micky Adams arriving. I love Micky Adams and what he did for the club, but he had his own way of doing things and he liked players who had played for him before. Almost from the moment Micky arrived Rod Thomas was side lined, maybe because he was coming back from injury, but he never really got a run in the team. You can't argue with Micky's first spell with us, but it was a shame Rod never featured in his plans. I don't think it was Thomas's attitude, I think it was more an unfortunate injury and change of manager that led to him drifting out of the side. I know a lot of people who never went to Gillingham who say Thomas was very average, which I always say is because they never saw him at Gillingham.
      That seems a fairly reasoned argument. Although l saw nearly all of our games in exile, (at Gillingham), I was watching what was just about the worst Albion side ever. Consequently many of the games l witnessed have been conveniently airbrushed from my memory banks.

It was a time when we were signing an awful lot of obscure players in an ever more desperate attempt to turn the tide of despair, and poor Rod was just one of them. Looking back I think if he was playing in a more settled, more successful side, he would have fared better, and been more appreciated..

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      That seems a fairly reasoned argument. Although l saw nearly all of our games in exile, (at Gillingham), I was watching what was just about the worst Albion side ever. Consequently many of the games l witnessed have been conveniently airbrushed from my memory banks.

It was a time when we were signing an awful lot of obscure players in an ever more desperate attempt to turn the tide of despair, and poor Rod was just one of them. Looking back I think if he was playing in a more settled, more successful side, he would have fared better, and been more appreciated..
      God we did sign some absolute guff back then. People seemed to come in for 2 or 3 games and then disappear. I think the first year was definitely the worst. Under Horton in that second year, we looked ok at times. Comparitively I mean, compared to how we'd played for the two previous seasons and against some of the other sides in the division.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
      Nearly took them down...

I like Tommy, but I think League 1 is his level now. I thought at the time it was a naive signing by Villa.
      Only made 4 appearances. Got injured. He looked good when he did play.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by theroyal View Post
      Only made 4 appearances. Got injured. He looked good when he did play.
      Fair enough, maybe he just needs an injury free run then. A good pre-season and he might come back the same player we know he is capable of being. 30 in September so probably has 2-3 years left before pace will become a real problem. But if alongside a faster centre half his reading of the game will stand out.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I thought we signed Rod Thomas with money contributed by fans? He wasn't the worst player of that error, Geoff Pitcher was much worse, although I was far to young to know about Rods late night goings on.

0 Not allowed!
      Definition of unfulfilled potential....

"At just 14, he was being hailed as 'the next Pelé' while in Watford's youth set-up, however by 23, he was playing for Carlisle United F.C. in the fourth tier."
      I listen to bands that don't even exist yet.

0 Not allowed!
      I have fond memories of Thomas at Gillingham. Loved the fact that he took on players.

Anyway, a nice piece about his Mansfield goal here...

https://sabotagetimes.com/football/t...s-vs-mansfield
      I listen to bands that don't even exist yet.