Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aston Villa

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Even withstanding Terry and Bruce, I hate Villa. They believe they have a God given right to be at the top table, a horrible area to visit, arrogant fans, terrible atmosphere, a stadium with no feeling to it... honestly I don’t know what’s to like.

I think if you hate Villa you probably hate every other large club in England. Anyway, what you write couldn't be further from the truth for my Villa-supporting friends, trust me they know full well they deserve to be where they are right now and didn't deserve to go up this year

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I was speaking to a Villa fan the other day.

When they played us in the League at The Amex he said we were 'OK for a smaller club'.

Now, finding themselves where they are, he says that the Premier League is just a bog full of mercenaries and cash, and has no wish to be part of it. Even glad in a way they lost to Fulham. :moo:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I have to say that working on a bank of desk with Blues and Villa fans, I'm going to enjoy work today. Wind up mode turned up to the max.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Must admit that I love it when a club gets a new owner and the fans all presume they are going to be the next Man City. There were loads of reports about how Dr Tony might not be as wealthy as he made out when he took over, but most Villa fans (and quite a few Sun reading types from other clubs) ignored them. "Ooh Villa have a billionaire owner, they're going to storm the Championship".

FFP and parachute payment woes aside, if they can't pay their tax bills then they are clearly in the shit. Good.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Selling Grealish will stop the winding up order, so not too tragic.

They are going the way of Forest and Leeds now with a long, long stint in the Championship on the cards.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Must admit that I love it when a club gets a new owner and the fans all presume they are going to be the next Man City. There were loads of reports about how Dr Tony might not be as wealthy as he made out when he took over, but most Villa fans (and quite a few Sun reading types from other clubs) ignored them. "Ooh Villa have a billionaire owner, they're going to storm the Championship".

FFP and parachute payment woes aside, if they can't pay their tax bills then they are clearly in the shit. Good.

Wolves could have been in a similar dodgy situation if their Chinese/Portuguese "gamble" had backfired. It still could in the future despite promotion.

The Wolves' fans are really rubbing their Villa counterparts' noses in the dirt just now, but give it 3/4 years the situation could be reversed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't mind Villa. Proper club, decent fans, long history, belong in the premier league. In Snodgrass, Hourihane, Lansbury, Grealish, Admoah they have one hell of a midfield, but Kodija and Hogan were disappointing upfront and Bruce's tinkering was frustrating for their fans and probably cost them an automatic spot, he didn't manage them well last year. Players will always want to sign for Villa because of who they are, they'll get up sooner than later

A load of bought talent there, as they threw money at it, now giving rise to FFP problems.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Wolves could have been in a similar dodgy situation if their Chinese/Portuguese "gamble" had backfired. It still could in the future despite promotion.

The Wolves' fans are really rubbing their Villa counterparts' noses in the dirt just now, but give it 3/4 years the situation could be reversed.

To be honest I think this was the first time in 30 years Wolves had finished above Villa. How do you think we’d react if this was going on at Paoace and we were looking down on them?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't mind Villa. Proper club, decent fans, long history, belong in the premier league. In Snodgrass, Hourihane, Lansbury, Grealish, Admoah they have one hell of a midfield, but Kodija and Hogan were disappointing upfront and Bruce's tinkering was frustrating for their fans and probably cost them an automatic spot, he didn't manage them well last year. Players will always want to sign for Villa because of who they are, they'll get up sooner than later

Here's a list of teams that belong in the Premier League:

Arsenal
Bournemouth
Brighton & Hove Albion
Burnley
Cardiff City
Chelsea
Crystal Palace
Everton
Fulham
Huddersfield Town
Leicester City
Liverpool
Manchester City
Manchester United
Newcastle United
Southampton
Tottenham Hotspur
Watford
West Ham United
Wolverhampton Wanderers

No sign of Villa as far as I can see.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

So too are the Birmingham City (Small Heath Alliance) fans but that is to be expected given Villa fans disparaging attitude towards their club !

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
An email from a 'disgruntled' Villa fan!

"Villa still get one last parachute payment of around £16Million.

No smoke without fire; it looks as though the VAT payment has been missed - which is financial incompetence. They should be able to sort it out by end of the week. If they get wound up, thinking positively, that would actually end a whole lot of pain for me. One thing's sure, I certainly won't support any other team, so will feel a certain amount of freedom if it does happen. At least I won't ever again have to watch the Premier Bog or Sky Championship. Financial Fair Play really worked well - it is a scheme to keep the top 6 oligarchy in the Premiership in their current position of power.

Some poor sods have bought season tickets for next season - some 17,000 of them - it is always the loyal fans who suffer the most. I'm sure that money alone would more than cover the VAT payment. Apparently, the ongoing issue is that the Chinese won't let Chairman Tony get his money out of China! He may have to sell. What a joke!

What a sport"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Likewise.

I follow Xia on Twitter as his feed is unintentionally hilarious - particularly when he claimed in 2016 that the Championship "shouldn't be too hard to get out of". The sycophancy the Villa fans showed his every nonsensical utterance was truly toecurling..."we love you Tony" etc etc, when he was regularly posting cod philosophy and even random mathematical equations. The bloke is very odd.

And whaddya know, its all turning to shit now. Lovely stuff. I'm very much enjoying rubbernecking the carcrash.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Here's a list of teams that belong in the Premier League:

Arsenal
Bournemouth
Brighton & Hove Albion
Burnley
Cardiff City
Chelsea
Crystal Palace
Everton
Fulham
Huddersfield Town
Leicester City
Liverpool
Manchester City
Manchester United
Newcastle United
Southampton
Tottenham Hotspur
Watford
West Ham United
Wolverhampton Wanderers

No sign of Villa as far as I can see.

Yep. And three of them will be relegated at the end of the season. Doesn't mean they didn't belong. There are about 30-35 teams that belong in the premier league, they can't all be there at once but Villa are certainly one of the top clubs out there

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Yep. And three of them will be relegated at the end of the season. Doesn't mean they didn't belong. There are about 30-35 teams that belong in the premier league, they can't all be there at once but Villa are certainly one of the top clubs out there

I entirely disagree. There are twenty teams that belong there and that's it. If you're in it, you belong and if you're not then you don't.

Maybe 'deserve' is a better word. Villa do not deserve to be there at the moment. If they get back there then they will.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here