Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aston Villa

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Never mind paying John Terry £100k week, or Ross McCormack £40k/wk to sit by the pool in Australia: they're paying Gary Gardner twenty grand a week.

GARY GARDNER :facepalm:

Whoever at Villa Park agreed that contract deserves a lot more than just administration.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Two of my best friends are Villa fans. We spend our saturday mornings whilst our kids play football chatting all things Brighton, all things Villa, and all things football in general, so, yeah. I know all kinds of clubs are lambasted on NSC but when it comes to be a club that you have a soft-spot for, you realise how small-minded and arrogant some of our fans can be. Lots of billy big-bollocks going on now we've reached the big time. No problem wanting them relegated or struggling in the championship, but glorifying in their financial troubles is so distasteful, especially coming from us

One of the things I like about football in England is that wherever in the country you go you can find fans from a huge range of clubs, big and small, and engage in conversation about their club, how they're doing, history and players and so on. I don't feel the need to slag every one off, I just don't, and part of the fun in Brighton being where we are is that we get to meet clubs like Villa as equals - and right now, be performing even better than them.

I don’t think it’s glorifying in their financial troubles as much as seeing greed and entitlement coming home to roost. This is financial trouble entirely of their own making, they went shit or bust and bust.

Forest did the same and bust, Bournemouth , Newcastle and Wolves amongst others have got away with it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don’t think it’s glorifying in their financial troubles as much as seeing greed and entitlement coming home to roost. This is financial trouble entirely of their own making, they went shit or bust and bust.

Forest did the same and bust, Bournemouth , Newcastle and Wolves amongst others have got away with it.

Well. Wolves hung on to a few of their players last time they got relegated from the PL and promptly got relegated to L1 with some very expensive players stuck on the payroll.

Though if I was in their shoes, I'd be wary of laughing too much at Villa. They too are owned by Chinese investors with no previous emotional attachment to the club, are they not?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Well. Wolves hung on to a few of their players last time they got relegated from the PL and promptly got relegated to L1 with some very expensive players stuck on the payroll.

Though if I was in their shoes, I'd be wary of laughing too much at Villa. They too are owned by Chinese investors with no previous emotional attachment to the club, are they not?

They are but they have now reached the promised land with its untold riches.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Never mind paying John Terry £100k week, or Ross McCormack £40k/wk to sit by the pool in Australia: they're paying Gary Gardner twenty grand a week.

GARY GARDNER :facepalm:

Whoever at Villa Park agreed that contract deserves a lot more than just administration.

Agreed worth at least 30k a week :moo:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Villa had many years in that promised land, with untold riches ... look at their debt levels

That’s because they lost the plot a few years ago and spent well beyond their means to try and finish higher than 6th. Round about the same time that Martin O’Neill said that Ashley Young was as good as Lionel Messi! [emoji23]

Randy Lerner quickly realised he needed to spend a lot more than he had already and was prepared to, to break into that elite so pulled his funding almost entirely. By this point they already had a crazy wage bill and some very mediocre, mercenary players they couldn’t shift.

This has been coming for years and it’s not like they couldn’t have predicted it with what had gone before at Leeds etc. They deserve administration now for years of total mismanagement and a bad gamble this season, as much as I feel sorry for their fans (except for those who revelled in our choking last year).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That’s because they lost the plot a few years ago and spent well beyond their means to try and finish higher than 6th. Round about the same time that Martin O’Neill said that Ashley Young was as good as Lionel Messi! [emoji23]

Randy Lerner quickly realised he needed to spend a lot more than he had already and was prepared to, to break into that elite so pulled his funding almost entirely. By this point they already had a crazy wage bill and some very mediocre, mercenary players they couldn’t shift.

This has been coming for years and it’s not like they couldn’t have predicted it with what had gone before at Leeds etc. They deserve administration now for years of total mismanagement and a bad gamble this season, as much as I feel sorry for their fans (except for those who revelled in our choking last year).

Quality post, full of the facts.

They weren’t prepared to go up fairly, buying circa 15 very expensive/highly paid players to cheat their way to the PL.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

This is a staggering quote from that link from the Doc.

"For now I’m not focusing on anything else. I don’t think we’ll end up like Leeds or like other teams who’ve come down from the Premier League and struggled for years and years. Why? Because I know exactly what the financial situation is here and I’m ready to invest. And I have confidence in my management team that they know what they’re doing and I’m going to let them do it."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Villa overspent in their PL years. O’Neill pushed for a more and more expensive squad in the dash for top 4, Lerner initially agreed and subsidised £120m on fees/wages their income didn’t warrant. Until he had enough.

Yes, but the implication was that getting to the PL was the answer to all financial woes but, as you've both explained, clubs can get into financial trouble in the PL too. We're talking about Villa here but it could easily be about Sunderland, Bolton or, going back a bit, Leeds (as well as Palace and Portsmouth #twats, of course).

The OP was saying Wolves may have overspent but they were all right as they were in the PL but that's no guarantee - you need firm financial controls and a sensible manager too.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I'll bet they wish they could have choked like we did - i.e. when already promoted.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To make matters worse, in effect they’ve already spent their 2018/19 parachute income, as it’s been committed to creditors, so cannot he used to aid 2018/19 club operations.

Attachments

• 24123B6F-E56D-42A3-82FE-94670B3126CE.jpeg
    24123B6F-E56D-42A3-82FE-94670B3126CE.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 232

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Never mind paying John Terry £100k week
Seriously? They brought in and were paying a Championship defender considerably more than double any of our PL squad gets :eek:

or Ross McCormack £40k/wk to sit by the pool in Australia: they're paying Gary Gardner twenty grand a week.
It just makes their loss all the funnier :)

You're suggesting they get whacked?

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If Villa do get into administration, does this mean that all those ludicrous contracts are cancelled?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Two of my best friends are Villa fans. We spend our saturday mornings whilst our kids play football chatting all things Brighton, all things Villa, and all things football in general, so, yeah. I know all kinds of clubs are lambasted on NSC but when it comes to be a club that you have a soft-spot for, you realise how small-minded and arrogant some of our fans can be. Lots of billy big-bollocks going on now we've reached the big time. No problem wanting them relegated or struggling in the championship, but glorifying in their financial troubles is so distasteful, especially coming from us
I've never had anything against Villa. Proper old club - second best in the entire country back in 1910. But they're lead by that **** Terry, have Grabban who was crap to us when we were looking to buy him, and Grealish and Elbows Jedinak. And they took Calderwood from us just before we played them. Add to that lot the obscene amount of money they've spent on trying to buy the league and it's great to see them fail.

It's nothing to do with what division we're in, I'd feel even stronger about it if we were in the Championship or lower. And comparing their financial state with what happened to us is ridiculous. Even if they don't have an owner willing to fund buying the league, they could easily sell their players to pay the bills if necessary.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I recently discovered that the landlord of my favourite pub in Cornwall, who sometimes plays for my cricket team, is a Palace fan. I haven't worked out how to digest this information yet
Kill him.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Seriously? They brought in and were paying a Championship defender considerably more than any of our PL squad gets :eek:

It just makes their loss all the funnier :)

They paid Micha Richards £2.6m to make ZERO appearances last season, and £2.6m to make 2 appearances the season before.

That is a career that has spectacularly failed to deliver.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Well they didn't spend the money on the ground, last season's visit was a big disappointment for me expecting a lot more toilets that are functional at start of the game and maybe a place to buy a beer. Not a lot to ask for.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
They paid Micha Richards £2.6m to make ZERO appearances last season, and £2.6m to make 2 appearances the season before.

That is a career that has spectacularly failed to deliver.

His career delivered well for him though. Id be happy to be paid that money for not doing much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here