Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aston Villa

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I've never had anything against Villa. Proper old club - second best in the entire country back in 1910. But they're lead by that **** Terry, have Grabban who was crap to us when we were looking to buy him, and Grealish and Elbows Jedinak. And they took Calderwood from us just before we played them. Add to that lot the obscene amount of money they've spent on trying to buy the league and it's great to see them fail.

It's nothing to do with what division we're in, I'd feel even stronger about it if we were in the Championship or lower. And comparing their financial state with what happened to us is ridiculous. Even if they don't have an owner willing to fund buying the league, they could easily sell their players to pay the bills if necessary.

They're one of those 'old guard' clubs, that think it's they're right to be in the PL.
You have to earn that right, as the Albion have done IMO.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is a staggering quote from that link from the Doc.

"For now I’m not focusing on anything else. I don’t think we’ll end up like Leeds or like other teams who’ve come down from the Premier League and struggled for years and years. Why? Because I know exactly what the financial situation is here and I’m ready to invest. And I have confidence in my management team that they know what they’re doing and I’m going to let them do it."
The headline wasn't bad either:

New Aston Villa owner Tony Xia plans to make club 'the biggest in the world'

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hasn't Bruce got form for getting out of clubs just before it all goes tits up ?

For leaving by mutual consent after his 'big' side has just been beaten by The Albion, more like :lolol:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Well, they've certainly come on a long way from when Paul Samrah christened them 'Luxury Villa' during the Gareth Barry row.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If any of us ever wish that TB would push the boat out a bit further on big-money signings, Villa's situation is a reminder that football clubs are businesses and need to be run prudently.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They paid Micha Richards £2.6m to make ZERO appearances last season, and £2.6m to make 2 appearances the season before.

That is a career that has spectacularly failed to deliver.

Villa were also a cash cow for N’Zogbia, who recenly spent literally years not playing games for them, whilst on massive wages in a long contract and refusing to be sold on.

Lessons there for sensible clubs like the Albion.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Well they didn't spend the money on the ground, last season's visit was a big disappointment for me expecting a lot more toilets that are functional at start of the game and maybe a place to buy a beer. Not a lot to ask for.

This
Ground was a mess and toilets unusable from arrival. No beer.
If the FA Cup semis weren't played at Wembley I wonder if they would still be played at Villa Park as was the norm?
Whilst I have no sympathy for the club, as ever the loyal fans will suffer as usual.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How many players will need to leave before the season starts, to raise funds and to reduce the wage bill.

It's a long road back once a fire sale starts.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How many players will need to leave before the season starts, to raise funds and to reduce the wage bill.

It's a long road back once a fire sale starts.

Rather hope Tommy Elphick gets out as part of the fire sale. His career has stalled at Villa - it would be good to see him playing again; Championship - or even League 1. He should be financially secure by now, so he can afford to make decisions based on football - and he could do a decent job for a club somewhere.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Rather hope Tommy Elphick gets out as part of the fire sale. His career has stalled at Villa - it would be good to see him playing again; Championship - or even League 1. He should be financially secure by now, so he can afford to make decisions based on football - and he could do a decent job for a club somewhere.

He spent Jan - May this year at Reading on loan.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Cheers - didn't know that. Any idea how well that went?

Nearly took them down...

I like Tommy, but I think League 1 is his level now. I thought at the time it was a naive signing by Villa.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Our colleagues up in Birmingham have a raffle going and the winner gets the two huge lions outside the ground!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

He spent Jan - May this year at Reading on loan.

He was injured.
Nearly took them down...

I like Tommy, but I think League 1 is his level now. I thought at the time it was a naive signing by Villa.

The same Tommy Elphick who captained Bournemouth to the Premier League? As above, he was injured so didn't play much for Reading on loan, so saying he nearly took them down, is disingenous to say the least.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Cheers - didn't know that. Any idea how well that went?

Nearly took them down...

He didn't nearly take them down, he barely played for them due to injury.

Played in 4 matches for them, he went off injured after 32 mins of Readings home defeat to Millwall at start of Feb. He required surgery to fix his knee. His next appearance was off the bench as Reading lost 4-0 at home to Ipswich at end of April. Reading are still keen by all accounts to get him in on a permanent deal I think there may have been a clause in the loan agreement that gives Reading first dibs.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
He was injured.

The same Tommy Elphick who captained Bournemouth to the Premier League? As above, he was injured so didn't play much for Reading on loan, so saying he nearly took them down, is disingenous to say the least.

Fair enough. I was being slightly sarcastic on the relegation comment. He took Bournemouth up 3 years ago. That's a long time in football.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

His career has come to a dead halt, never mind stalled! But yes l agree, you don't become a bad player overnight, and he did great things at Bournemouth. Weren't Reading or some other championship club allegedly interested in signing him? Less chance of that now thay have O'shea l guess.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here